1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why did you join the TDPRI?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telarkaster, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

A couple of recent threads got me thinking about this. One person mentioned that he joined the TDPRI just because of the presence of a knowledgeable but grammatically challenged member who chose to withdraw after 10,001 posts and who shall remain nameless in order to avoid another useless flame war.

Another newly joined member posted a thread "Too many threads on this forum, I have a Telecaster, blah blah blah, I'm out of here". So why would one join if one felt that way?

I won't link to them because they aren't worth reading, but it got me thinking.

Personally, I joined because I really wanted to offer encouragement to Japasul:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/81712-tele-scratch-construction-diary.html

This thread really moved me, and I had to let him know how much I was impressed. I don't know if he still posts here, hope he is doing well.

I also joined because I was so impressed with Buckocaster and his emeraldcaster (and other) builds.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...meraldcaster-project-aka-son-meloncaster.html

I'm not a builder, but I felt I just had to express my appreciation for their work.

I got a lot of useful information out of this site, and wanted to repay the favour by answering as many questions as I can when possible, when nobody else beats me to it. It's hard because I'll read the site at work and wait until I get home to reply, and by then the thread has moved on.

Funny enough, I found this site while doing research for a Strat. By coincidence I also had a Telecaster...

Why did you join the TDPRI?

2. D.K. Buchanon

D.K. Buchanon Tele-Meister

To glean knowledge and insight from a wide range of musicians , luthiers , gearheads...oh..yeah..almost forgot...food recipes...

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I joined because I'm a Telecaster guy! Oh, and because I like to bloviate* on any of a number of subjects, and y'all are a captive audience!

Cheers, Tim

*from Wikipedia:To bloviate means "to speak pompously and excessively." A colloquial verb coined in the United States, it is commonly used with contempt to describe the behavior of politicians, academics, pundits, and dieticians or media "experts," sometimes called bloviators, who hold forth on subjects in an arrogant, tiresome way.

Some speculate that bloviate derives from adding a faux-Latin ending to the verb 'to blow' or boast, following a 19th-century fad of adding Latin-like affixes to ordinary words. However, others like William Safire claim that 'bloviate' comes from combining the words 'blow-hard' and 'deviation.'

'Bloviating' has taken on new life in the blogosphere, used derisively to identify and otherwise chide the most pompous of contributors to message boards and forums.

4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I joined when I was in the market for my first tele. I wanted the butterscotch affinity but it was backordered forever so I got a Squier standard. This site help me get all my guitars in playable condition. Thanks again.

Dan

5. direstraitsfan

direstraitsfan Tele-Meister

Cause I was interested in finding more information and experience with Telecasters. And I liked the atmosphere here.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I joined when I built my first Tele to pick brains. ;) 03 I think it was..

7. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

After building a Tele, I was searching the net for Tele related sites and info. I ran across TDPRI and joined. I probably learned more than I've been able to share, this place is a wonderful resource.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

9. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Where else would I find a bunch of folks who are tolerant of my useless opinions , terrible sense of humour , and dodgy guitar playing , to name but a few ?
    But i'm glad I joined regardless .

10. wikur

wikur Tele-Meister

I just happened to find this forum as I did a search for telecasters.
    I lurked for a few months and then joined.
    I had never before had a thought to join an internet forum,now I post on a few others!
    This forum is so great,you learn something new and it`s mostly friendly!
    Thanks Paul for having us!!!
    Cheers,Wikur!

11. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I came here after the wheels came off the vintage guitar boards, needed a place to hang with lots of opinionated people with similar interests. It was about a week before the original TDP folded.

12. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Tim, that very eloquently articulated discourse taught me a new word. Reading it makes me feel very, um, bloviated; if I can be so presumptuous myself as to extrapolate a bit on that very useful term. :lol:

I joined hoping to learn more about Telecasters and related gear like tube amps.

13. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i'm so very glad that i stumbled across this place ! i've been playin' Teles pretty much exclusively since the early '60s, an' i joined because of the extremely friendly and helpful crew hangin' out, not to mention vast amount of useful info on any number of topics !
    Long live the TDPRI !

14. Sire

Sire Tele-Meister

This is the most civil forum I've found. Lot's of knowledge and interesting topics. What else am I going to do when the wife has People's Court on T.V.?

15. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

I joined because I love to talk gear and where else can I do that on the net? And sometimes I love playing a tele that I don't have but that don't stop me from posting.

16. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I joined after buying a Tele and just looking for info on modifications, models, etc. It was the first forum of any kind that I joined. I don't always agree with everything I read here but all in all a great place to visit.

17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I joined when I was rebuilding an old Telecaster project from many years ago. Needed advice on a nut, and then grounding and wiring issues.

I stuck around because of the outrageous well of Telecaster (and guitar in general) knowledge and great people here who are usually very willing to help a brother out - even with non-guitar related issues. It's a great place.

18. Strawfields

Strawfields Tele-Holic

I love my Telecaster

So Glad I joined .. I'm worried about my finances now though :lol:

19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I found it by accident web surfing about guitars. Seemed a friendly and interesting place.

20. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

I joined because of the quality of the build threads. I doubt you could find better ones anywhere else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.