Why Did you Get Rid of Your BOSS Katana?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarist232345, Jan 3, 2020.

1. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Still have mine ! I sold a hot rod deluxe and a blackheart little giant and kept the katana ! Not tried any of the extra stuff but I do use a big muff for the dirty sounds !

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm OP asked why you sold it.... Not why you keep it. Just saying.....

LuthRavin likes this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I put my Katana under the bench when I got an Eleven Rack. In either case, I tend to focus on just a few sounds, but I like the Eleven's easier UI (I never use the Eleven's PC editor), more elaborate expression pedal routing ability (e.g. controlling reverb return level, which I could never figure out even with the fxFloorboard software) and XLR outs. Tempo sync of LFOs and delays to MIDI clock is also a nice feature for recording.

I think the Eleven's FX offerings are a bit spartan, but the Katana's are relatively difficult to use well with just one knob to tweak, need to use the PC editor and also (bad for me) requirement to memorize everything as there's no way to tell what's going on from its panel.

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I was caught in the tidal wave of "hype" surrounding the intro of the new Katana line when I purchased my Katana 50.

Now, while my Katana 50 sounded good, it didn't really distinguish itself from other solid state amps that I had heard, e.g., the Roland Blues Cube Hot, Orange Crush 35RT, Peavey Envoy 110, AND it wasn't as sturdy as the others, but...

what REALLY made MY decision was the fact that the Katana had to be connected to a computer in order to add/change onboard effects, amp parameters and apply software updates. :confused:

I'm a solid state, WYSIWYG amp guy now, and I'm quite happy with my Roland Blues Cube Hot and Orange Crush 35RT. ;)

Hiker, Tim S, ce24 and 1 other person like this.
  5. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

I unloaded mine because I found the interface clunky. I loved the features of the amp and thought it sounded just fine, but I didn't like that I had to have it connected to my laptop to really tweak the sounds. Plus I was gassing for a Princeton Reissue and needed the capital.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

So much love for the Yamaha THR here but I looked into it and - $300 for a 10 watt SS amp ?!

Lordy...

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a Katana 50 for the Texas living room. Seems fine for that, and I feel confident if there was a guitar emergency I’d be able to help.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought mine because it was super cheap and had a bunch of onboard effects I fully intended on using. (Wanted to use it, a cord, and a guitar for practice/some gigs )

I got rid of mine 2 months later because the onboard effects were not easy to use on the fly.*

“2 months later” because it took a solid month to sell for - $135...:confused:

*a Vox AD30VT and an old Cube 60 are more usable onstage.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I really liked mine but two things made me send it back. First, the software on the amp refused to interface with the Boss tone studio on line software after a short time. Second, it had so many tone adjustment options that I was spending way to much time turning knobs and pressing buttons rather than playing guitar.

I returned it and bought a Roland Blues Cube Stage, I love it.

10. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Never owned one but played the 50s a bit, both old and new versions, didn't make an impression.

11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

And it’s ugly to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

1. Unlike most current modelers, the Katanas don't have screens. This is a selling point for some, but if you want more flexibility than the front panel offers, you need to access it somehow, either with a computer or an app. I'd prefer an app, but Android and iOS seem to break apps faster than Windows and OSX, and software costs money to maintain. Case in point: TC Electronics Wiretap pedal, which can record your pedal chain and send it to a phone wirelessly; at least, it could, until iOS upgrades broke the app, which TC hasn't bothered to fix.

2. The original Katana interface has a real flaw: putting two effects on a single knob, with the twelve o'clock position between them. It looks cool, but in practice it's not. The Mk. II interface fixes that.

Digital Larry likes this.
  13. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This bugged me a bit as well, but I did move the position of the effects loop. The only remaining problem is that there is a small gap in the looper's output when you change patches on the Katana. Not a big deal for jamming at home but likely a deal breaker for performance with a looper in the FX loop.

beagle likes this.
  14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Looks like Katana was a gateway drug... :)

Informal likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Eppur si muove :cool:

MisterZ likes this.
  16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I tried the Katanas, started with the 1-12 50 watt version, which was fine around the house but just did not cut through for me in a live band situation.
    Then I got the 100 watt 1-12 version which was better.
    Then I had to try the 100 watt 1-12 Artist version, which was even better but at that point it was really bigger and heavier than I liked.
    And I really didn't need all the options, I still used my effects pedals with the amp and to me they sounded much better than the built in effects.

At the moment I own and use a Quilter Tone Block 202 with a 1-12 Block Dock speaker cab Jensen loaded with a Neo 12. I like it better than any of the Katana amps, much better clean tones, easier to use, light and compact.

Hiker likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Who says I sold it?

18. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I just bought one... today. I guess I'm in the wrong thread.

beagle likes this.
  19. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I don't own one but own a Blues Cube Artist, so I totally get why people hang on to those amps.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My 100w languished in my trunk for a year or so. Pulled out for band practice the other night. Band mates said WOW, you sound awesome. Never mess with the computer hook up, just a few pedals out front. The fact it spent all four seasons outside (sort of) and still works says a lot.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.