Why Did Victory Screw Up Their Effects Loops?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by omahaaudio, May 15, 2021.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I've been looking at Victory amps, particularly the V30 or the Sheriff 22. Either looks good, I have a local dealer that keeps them in stock, and the reviews are positive. They're semi-boutique-level expensive but not outrageous IMO.

The big problem, as I see it, is that their effects loops are c**p. If I want to run an instrument-level pedal in their effects loop I may be screwed because they've built the things with "a post-phase-inverter master volume amp, so effects can easily overdrive when used in the loop."

The effects that I want to run in the loop at the moment include a Strymon Flint and a Boss DD-200, so they might be okay, but come on, they couldn't have spent an extra £10-20 to make the effects loop buffered or something?

Sorry Victory, it's a deal killer.

As the English say, "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish."

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Huh. Can you try this in store to see how much of an issue it is? I was thinking of getting one of these at some point, too.
    Edit- part of the design problem is maintaining an all tube path with variable signal levels out of the preamp and then adding an effect loop that doesn't screw with the signal is easier said than done. So, they did this differently in prior versions?

3. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the reason to use an effects loop in the first place is to place effects after the preamp gain in the signal chain. If you don't want overdriven effects you place them in front of the amp.
    And I don't understand why having an effective master volume that doesn't suck tone (PPMV style is the best MV) is a bad thing. Maybe I'm missing something and I'm curious.

AAT65 likes this.
  4. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

Genuinely curious, how does this make an effects loop crap? Not many amps have send and return levels on their effects loops. Do you know for sure that your effects have incredibly low headroom? Usually the kind of effects you put in the loop have a good amount of headroom on them.

How do you know it isn't?

northernguitar and AAT65 like this.
  5. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

I don't think they mean that the effects loop will overdrive your pedal, but rather that an instrument level pedal has enough signal to overdrive the amp.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Effects loops are pre-phase inverter, AIR. Does "buffered" mean that you have the ability to control the volume/amplitude of the effects loop SEND and/or RETURN into the amp ? I've always thought it meant high/low impedance matching of the Send and Return to the loop effects and associated cables.

The problem "as you see it" may not be a problem at all. Take your pedal(s) and cables with you to the dealer, hook them up in the loop, and try it as you want to use it. Then you will know, one way or the other.

Jakedog, northernguitar and AAT65 like this.
  7. omahaaudio

I see many makers producing amps that have an effects loop that easily takes instrument level (pedal) effects as well as line level (rack) effects. Victory does not seem to offer that.

8. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

I don't see anything on their website that would indicate the effects loop won't take instrument level effects.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still puzzled how you decided that this amp maker's effects loop doesn't take high impedance (I assume that's what you are referring to) pedals. Nothing you have posted indicates that. Anyhow why would you buy an amp before trying it out?

10. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

Tim S likes this.
  11. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

I sympathise, the only thing that that I don't like about my Fender Prosonic is the FX loop. I've spent years and money trying to live with it. A Suhr Minimix 11 finally fixed the problem.

12. omahaaudio

Tried that. Three times. each time my message didn't go through.

I've solved my problem by ordering a 5E3 combo to be built, because, after all, Neil Young don't use no stinkin' effects loops...

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

To be fair, you are totally schizophrenic. Going from a modern Victory with effects loops to a primitive 5E3 kinda demonstrates that you have no idea what you wanted to begin with...

"Man, I hate the fuel injection systems used in the new Ford F-150. That's okay though because I just ordered a new Schwinn with a basket on the front."

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    naveed211 likes this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to pass, or buy. :cool:

Tim S and omahaaudio like this.
  15. omahaaudio

Or, it may prove that you don't understand the subtleties of guitar amplifier purchases.

Can't someone like an AC Cobra and a Ferrari F40 at the same time?

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

There was nothing subtle about your choice. You went from modern hot-rodded two channel heads with effects loops to a tweed Deluxe copy. And unlike cars, they won't eventually get you to the same place.

17. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I have no idea about the technical side of the loop, but I did sell my Victory V40 head precisely because the effects loop was unusable for me.

My preferred set up for years has been delay and reverbs and volume pedal in the effects loop for solo boost and general on the fly master volume control. The problem I had is that the amp sounded pretty good with the volume pedal on full. As soon as I turned down the volume, the highs were lost and it sounded dull and lifeless. I tried everything to make it work, but in the end just sold it and moved onto an amp with a decent loop which happened to sound much better overall anyway.

The volume pedal was an active one in case that makes any difference, but I had also tried a passive one.

I couldn't work out why the loop on this amp wouldn't play ball but with every other amp I have owned, no problem. Could what you're describing have caused that issue?

omahaaudio likes this.
  18. omahaaudio

Yeah. How about that?

You should broaden your perspective.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.