Why did they do this?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Gravel Road, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

Mini pots on control plate. Easy fix I would say. Replace the mini pots with regular pots. mini pots.jpg reg pots.jpg

Skub, Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

What the...

What guitar is it?

3. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Did you wire it all up before you realized it won’t fit, or is that just something that only I do?

4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Been there man.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  5. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

The owner-operator of this fine partscaster wanted it to sound better. I put the plate back on and sent him on his way.

telemnemonics and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know such a narrow routing existed. Weird!!

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A 250k variable resistor doesn't know or care if it's dime size, quarter size, or pea size. Isn't it interesting that people freak out over small pots, believing some internet myth that they're no good, but then they'll buy and gush over a $300 or $400 pedal with mini trimpots inside?

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

It has one of those nasty sounding green capacitors too! :eek:

;)

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Best way to see how good the pots are is measure the resistance with the control
    completely off. If it is in the 225 -250 range that is good to very good range especially
    for a tone pot. It will have a good taper and response for changes turning the control.
    If bit less still okay for a volume and for some maybe preferred. Oh and turned up
    to max should read 0 (zero) K. - Wow, no load! :cool:

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I always wonder to myself how there aren't more arguments about this. I think the people that understand just don't want to go tipping that windmill.

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I don't think it's something worth arguing about to be honest. If people want to spend a few quid on an orange capacitor and that makes them happy then I don't mind.

I have those vintage mullard mustard caps in my guitars, for no reason other than they look 'vibey' and I had them in my drawers, so I figured why not. It put a smile on my face when I was soldering them in. I used to buy quite a lot of old components when people didn't really want them, I have loads of 'tropical fish' caps that I paid next to nothing for too.

What I wouldn't do is tell some kid to spend his pocket money on a £15 PIO cap or something to make his guitar sound better. ... or even worse sell it to him.

As long as people aren't being duped, then I think it's all fine. I think most people know deep down that it doesn't really make any difference but if it makes them happy or they are working on a vintage replica or whatever, then that's cool too.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Exactly. I have the cheapest possible ceramic discs, as well as some not-too-pricey Russian and US PIOs. And a few Orange Drops for those who insist. Whatever makes you happy.

Si G X and bender66 like this.
  13. moosie

That said, if it were my guitar, I'd want to standardize it, and would spend a half hour routing it to spec. Done. Forever.

Si G X and bender66 like this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You so eloquently wrote what I was too lazy to do. Thank you.

Wound_Up and Si G X like this.
  15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I think I'm right in thinking that vintage Fender's used ceramic discs for some time in the past anyway? I'm sure I've seen some vintage strat gut shots with a ceramic disc flat on top of the tone pot. I'm sure those guitars sound more than fine.

howardlo likes this.
  16. moosie

Absolutely they did. (Actually some of that was during the 70s, so maybe...) :lol:

But I'm sure on a four-bolt neck they'll sound fine... :rolleyes::D

bender66, Wound_Up and Si G X like this.
  17. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

yeah, it's not ideal .... you might go to your local shop to to buy an urgent replacement pot and they might only have the larger size... then you are stuffed.

18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

The only thing I can think of that would put a big pot over a small one is lifetime. How much more durable is a 24mm pot over a 16mm? I did some research...
    Bourns makes potentiometers specifically for guitars in 24mm and 17mm; they are low-torque and both are rated for 15,000 rotational cycles minimum, but the 24mm pots are rated for 15,000 - 500,000. No upper limit for the 17mm ones, so I assume they are good for 15,000 and anything after that is a crap shoot.
    Alpha pots standard 24mm are rated for 10,000 cycles minimum, while the 16mm is rated for 15,000. So that means the small Alpha pots are actually longer life?
    CTS makes 24mm potentiometers specifically for guitar too, but they have a "Standard" rated for 10,000 minimum, and a "Special" rated for 100,000 cycles. They don't make guitar-specific 16mm pots, but the regular ones are rated for 10,000 rotational cycles minimum.

So, it looks like overall, 24mm pots are expected to have a longer lifetime, but the smaller ones are on par with the larger ones in term of expected minimum service life. I'd agree that it isn't THAT much effort to route a wider control channel to accommodate larger pots should the owner want/need them, but other than that, a voltage divider is a voltage divider...

DougM likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Am I reading this right does this mean the average pot has 10,000 full turns before it wears out

What actually happens when a pot “wears out”? Does it cease to function completely what component of it wears?

Thanks in advance, I’m new to electronics

20. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

That's pretty interesting thanks ... I think age, sweat, dirt or rust would get to my pots before I whizzed them back and forth 10,000 times.

howardlo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.