Why Clip On Tuner Instead Of Pedal?

Modern Saint

Tele-Meister
I use a Tuner Pedal on my pedal board that I use for silencing if needed. Especially if you are performing in a room that a lot of hum may be present from florescent lighting. I tend to use headstock tuners more with my acoustic performances. I use the D'Addario Micro Clip Mini as they hide well and are easy to see.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
It might be the blues lawyers that decreed that a clip on tuner takes away from the look of their expensive relicked guitars. I don't get it either. Any and all tools that help me do the job are welcome, including clip on tuners. The audience doesn't know enough about guitars and equipment to know the difference. And I prefer to play with musicians who are completely focused on doing their job on stage, and concentrating on making the best possible music. And I prefer not to play with musicians that are bored and lolly gagging and gazing at other musicians headstocks on stage in the middle of doing our jobs. Maybe the more traditional cigarette in the headstock, instead of a clipon is considered to be a preferred look. View attachment 883613

LOL... A cigarette stuck into the headstock of your relic custom shop LP when you don't actually smoke and smoking is not allowed where you are playing would probably be peak blues lawyer.

Maybe it'd be even more peak blues lawyer though if Gibson sold an authentic fake cigarette for $250 that was certified to not screw with the finish on your guitar if you leave the fake cigarette sitting there for an extended period of time.

For people who buy less expensive Gibsons they could market a combo pack where you get the authentic white gloves to touch your guitar with at all times along with the vintage correct fake cigarette.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I use them both, depending on their strengths.

I don't use pedals with my 5E3, so the clip-on becomes the obvious choice.

My Marshall Origin 20 doesn't have a standby switch, so a pedal tuner nicely mutes everything. It's also handy for when I switch guitars.

I like that I can see my tuning in real time with a clip-on, so I can typically tweak a string or two while playing. In some environments, it seems like the 3rd string especially tends to go sharp or flat a bit.

I also seem to somewhat regularly have to pull and replace the bridge on a Tele, for things like swapping the bridge pickup. The clip-on just seems to work better for getting the saddles set back to where the intonation is as close to perfect as possible. I've used the clip-on for setting up a bridge so many times now that I can typically get all the saddles set up (for both height and intonation) in 20 minutes or less.

Oh, and I've never lost a clip-on, but I have broken a couple of them.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Clip on. I switch from electric to acoustic to mandolin. Tuner goes as I go. And my pedal board is the size it needs to be and no bigger. (Also, it bugs me that people consider a tuner a “pedal.” A pedal or stomp box is something that shapes your tone. I mean, being in tune shapes your tone, but you follow me, right?)
A pedal is a form factor.

Both work fine. I keep a headstock tuner in the case for all my acoustic instruments. I have a pedal tuner as the last thing on my board because it doubles as an off switch which cuts back on feedback when I’m not playing.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I was at a rehearsal where a couple of people had those tuners. Unfortunately they weren't in sync. I assume the good ones work properly now or they wouldn't be so popular. I have a board the size of an aircraft carrier so one more pedal isn't going to make a difference to me.
I’ve been an off and on regular at bluegrass, old time, and folk jams. Clip on tuners have improved by leaps and bounds since i first started to see them around 2007 or so.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Among my guitar friends, the clip-ons are more popular with younger players. Many of the older guys despise them, and I'm pretty sure it's because Les Paul and Clapton and SRV didn't use them back in the dark ages.

I like 'em because it's usually a guitar, a cable, and an amp.
Really? I mostly see them at old time jams, and those are mostly populated by retirement aged people.

Does anyone really care what Eric Clapton and Stevie ray did? They’re kind of passé.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow, don't really think anyone would notice something that small. The guitar is more about sound and less about appearance. The appearance part is more for pop music with the matching outfits and all.

The clipons don't mute your guitar, but the volume knob does. Sigh...I've heard this one before, and still don't get it. View attachment 883441 View attachment 883442
If you don’t care about how you look when you play, you’re not much of a performer.

That being said, clip on tuners look fine and this is literally the first time I’m hearing of anyone having as issue with them.

I don’t like them in loud environments because they’re not as good as isolating your instrument from the background noise as an in line tuner.

Other than that, they’re great.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm "that guy" who can't recall ever seeing Eric Clapton play an electric guitar with a capo. I don't recall ever seeing him play with a headstock tuner either. I figure if he can fret the proper chord and find the proper pitch, that's what the rest of us should be shooting for.
Why is he the standard for ANYTHING?

Why are you on this forum if you’ve never seen your role model use a computer?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm kind of blown away that people even have a strong opinion on this. That said, I'm glad to know the clip-on tuners piss some (really asinine) people off. I'm going to make sure to use 2 or 3 at a time from now on.

Tuner-based butthurt... who'd a thought...?

I was borrowing an acoustic guitar at a folk sing the other day, and the owner asked me not to put the capo on the headstock. I promptly clipped it onto the tuner instead.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
LOL... A cigarette stuck into the headstock of your relic custom shop LP when you don't actually smoke and smoking is not allowed where you are playing would probably be peak blues lawyer.

Maybe it'd be even more peak blues lawyer though if Gibson sold an authentic fake cigarette for $250 that was certified to not screw with the finish on your guitar if you leave the fake cigarette sitting there for an extended period of time.

For people who buy less expensive Gibsons they could market a combo pack where you get the authentic white gloves to touch your guitar with at all times along with the vintage correct fake cigarette.

If you want to go all out, you’d be searching for new old stock cigs in the brands popular players were smoking during the recording of your favorite records.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Clip-on tuners? I say, "screw 'em!"

I modified this little Daddario unit so the clip is no longer in the picture. I have this on two of my drag-around guitars.

Headstock-Tuner.jpg

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lots of good points here for the pluses and minuses of both tuner types. After using clip-ons for a long while, I'm back to pedal tuners again for the most part; still use a clip for the acoustic. I like them both fine; and have no qualms whatsoever to have a clip-on on a guitar headstock for a whole gig.

brashboy

Tele-Meister
Every clip-on tuner I've tried has been fairly inaccurate, and I've had 10 or so. Plus, battery did not last long.

I use the Strobe Tuner Pro app on my phone, REALLY accurate. It was $3 or something. No batteries to buy. I am not affiliated with this app in any way.

Live, ambient noise makes tuning with phone apps or clip-ons difficult for me. I would need a tuner pedal for that.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I'm in agreement with the Texas boys on this. I have a nice Boss tuner pedal, but my pedalboards run small (4-5 pedals), so the Snark is ok in my book. Yeah, I'm an old guy, but I despise very little about what musicians like. Whatever works is what matters.