why can't music be as much fun as it used to be?

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not invoking Godwin's Law . I'm just not used to nasty people in this forum.
I have reported you for your information.
Funny , all the Canadians I have met in my travels have been such nice people.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
My old bassist had a sticker on his guitar case that said, “I’m not that old…your music really does suck!”

There’s plenty of good music out there; sometimes we have to search a little harder, but it’s there…the stuff that get pushed/promoted in the mainstream is not usually the good stuff…

I remember a lot of crappy music on the radio in “the good old days”, too…the Captain and Tenille, anyone?

This is a good point.

I grew up mostly in the 90s, so I’m sure most of the guys in this thread would think that music sucked anyway.

But point being, at the time I thought a lot of the music played on the radio sucked. It’s only now that I appreciate it because of nostalgia.

I’m finding good new music all the time, just not on the radio.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
I'm not invoking Godwin's Law . I'm just not used to nasty people in this forum.
I have reported you for your information.
Funny , all the Canadians I have met in my travels have been such nice people.

I just reacted with ridiculousness (Seriously, "your OPINION is wrong"? Try to actually think about that. ) to your condescending post (You have a right to your opinion? Really? Never heard that. Tell me more. )

How that's not Godwin's Law, I'll never understand. More "my opinion"?

And by the way:
"condescending " means you are talking down to someone. Being patronizing and showing a sense of superiority.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
This is a good point.

I grew up mostly in the 90s, so I’m sure most of the guys in this thread would think that music sucked anyway.

But point being, at the time I thought a lot of the music played on the radio sucked. It’s only now that I appreciate it because of nostalgia.

I’m finding good new music all the time, just not on the radio.
There's good (pop) music on the radio, too. Don't discount that source.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
It's true in classical, too. Most of what Beethoven and Mozart was crap. Not incompetent, just blah, boring by-the-book stuff. Hearing some of their non-great works is a real eye opener.

I think Bach, though, exercised great quality control. Charlie Parker, Howlin Wolf, and maybe Muddy Waters had great reserves of interesting stuff. The Beatles could do very little wrong for a while. I was an early Stones fan and for a time, thought that they were better than the Beatles. But the Beatles began releasing songs that blew my mind. I remember walking to school with my friend and bandmate, as we talked through what we were hearing on the radio. I had thought that the Beatles appealed more to girls. Until Paperback Writer. That came out and whooped me on the head forever.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Corporations, greed and oversaturation are main culprets. ALso the decay of society where logic criticism meets with ignoramous comments like cloud yelling. SO beside the devolution of our society we turned off a necessity in any society which is respect for the elders. Guess what, the cloud yellers don't repect the young cause, their arse, is so far in the hole.

Any music you consider good, is rehash, or you fall in love with every flash in the pan. Yeah there is good music, being produced with folks who don't have a pot to pee in and hoping to get a lucky break to an audience that probably does not exits anymore. THe reality is that every moment in time, people are resisitant to change. Change? The 20's, the 30's, the 40's the 50's the 60' the 70's, Everyone was digging the changes Music grew immnesely, then the 80's hit and the death of rocknroll was induced by the internet and corporate intalnglment by 2000. Paralleles a lot of other things in our society, huh? How screewd is it? I'd be willing to bet that the Beatles, today, at best woould have a rough time competing with Machine gun Keely. Things have changed, the masses like a fine grade of sandpaper, instead of Chiffon Sensiivity has left the building. Maybe, its just that the 70's was something to experince & observe, changing the model brought its demise. Please don't tell me where I have to hunt for good music. If the system wasn't screwed up, the good would still rise to the top and get there just deserts. BUt you have to hunt, if the masses can't find the srtist, who do they rise to the top. It is a self destructuve system. Muisc was dominante with most everyone. Now, I beleive music is far less popular. It doesn't play the role in did from the 20' to the 70's.People are just not as exited about music and the ones that are, they are listening to music? OK.

Lou was trying to tell us sng here, enjoy, relax>>

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Tell me someone who has written and sang a real song this century? All the kids go o bars with sh....y thumping noise and speaking, not singing. Oh. Adele has written and sang some great songs. She's old school, like me.
Ted Leo
Erik Petersen
Jack Terricloth
The guy from the mountain goats

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Ted Leo
Erik Petersen
Jack Terricloth
The guy from the mountain goats
Josh Homme
Kevin Starrs
Jack White
Dan Auerbach
D’Angelo
Erykah Badu
Ty Segall
Lana Del Ray
Mastodon
Reverend Horton Heat
Matt Pike
St. Vincent
Dave Grohl
Thundercat

I’m gonna assume that the doubters will have not heard of them, making them ‘irrelevant’. :lol:

Last edited:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
If you’re not having fun in this world, that’s on you, particularly if you are an actual clown.

Excellent fun music happens in almost every part of the planet, every day.

Seems to be something that humans find a way to make happen. If you are a musician, you can hear the happy happy joy joy in all kinds of sounds.
Funny, i usually hear it in the ren and stimpy cartoon. But i agree with your statement. There is no bad music, just music i don't like or understand.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Mr. @rodeoclown, if it's fun(k) music you want, check out The Fearless Flyers.
i have a hard time with funk, but i love the fearless flyers. Playing along to their song introducing the fearless flyers and learning to do it slow and then it bit faster produces a rush of happy hormone in me when i feel i am in the groove.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
soon as I hear that boring 1-5 1-5 1-5 bassline in country music and the nursery rhyme style lyric delivery......:rolleyes:

all the fun goes out of it for me.....:lol:
The cool thing with music is that though it is traditionnaly done in that way in country music, you can play whatever you want and add stuffs. This is when it gets interesting to me.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I just reacted with ridiculousness (Seriously, "your OPINION is wrong"? Try to actually think about that. ) to your condescending post (You have a right to your opinion? Really? Never heard that. Tell me more. )

How that's not Godwin's Law, I'll never understand. More "my opinion"?

And by the way:
"condescending " means you are talking down to someone. Being patronizing and showing a sense of superiority.
Godwin himself revoked Godwin’s law.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Josh Homme
Kevin Starrs
Jack White
Dan Auerbach
D’Angelo
Erykah Badu
Ty Segall
Lana Del Ray
Mastodon
Reverend Horton Heat
Matt Pike
St. Vincent
Dave Grohl
Thundercat

I’m gonna assume that the doubters will have heard of them, making them ‘irrelevant’. :lol:
Is any of the stuff the doubters listen to actually relevant?