why can't music be as much fun as it used to be?

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Tell me someone who has written and sang a real song this century? All the kids go o bars with sh....y thumping noise and speaking, not singing. Oh. Adele has written and sang some great songs. She's old school, like me.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
“Four dead in O Hi O”
“Hope I die before I get old”
“Helter Skelter”

Those really were some fun times.

Helter Skelter was a rave-up with lyrics inspired by a British amusement park slide. It's not McCartney's fault that Charles Manson's warped mind read something sinister into the phrase.

800px-Helter_skelter.jpg

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
from the responces I see the membership pointing fingers in all directions , the fact is playing is still tons of fun , but I look for new inspiration to do things differently every time and its that approach that makes it new , I cant speak for every one here but thats how I see it . Once you are in a rut its time to close that door and re explore your approach .
new bread only goes stale or mouldy if you dont consume it and make a new loaf ( so to speak)

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If you think modern popular music sucks, you're probably watching too much TV and/or listening to a typical FM radio station.

Find a small local college radio station or go via the Web to one where they live stream. Yeah, you'll hear some formulaic crap, but you'll also hear plenty of really good original stuff made by actual musicians.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Tell me someone who has written and sang a real song this century? All the kids go o bars with sh....y thumping noise and speaking, not singing. Oh. Adele has written and sang some great songs. She's old school, like me.

Best writer of the past 20 years, from the best album of the 2010s:

22 years old:

New to me recently:

Been around a while, still one of the best writers going:

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I think (I am not that old) that I am living in the best times to have fun with music. I mean, when was there ever a time music was so available as a whole and also so cheap to get? You can discover so many great music via social media, YT etc. as you could never ever before. Of course that is also the downside, you have to search a little more. But in the end, I mean, great music, it's all there, plenty of it, every style and niche.
It's the same with guitars nowadays btw :)

I think what is maybe missing, is the excitement from yesterday, when music (I am guessing here as I am too young :)) was maybe more of a defining element and more expensive, therefore something more special to you and you peer group. That is something, that I think today is lacking, the appreciation of the "product" and the emotional attachment to it, because everything is available for free.

But then, I am too old to judge defining moments for youngsters nowadays, because I don't know what emotions they connect with the music of their times. But I guess it will be the same, as mine. The music I listened to, when I was heartbroken the first time, the music I heard the first time where I thought "Yeah, finally someone understands me" etc. etc. . That is the beauty of music for all times and all ages, I guess.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
The guitar is more fun for me now than it ever was in my younger days.
I agree a lot of today's music is lacking in feel and style but that hasn't ever stopped me from loving the guitar and having fun.
Interesting thread, thank you.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The likelihood of finding good music on a consistent basis from a radio station is pretty slim, IMO. Playlists are determined by charts & marketing departments, rarely by the listener (unless it was the former KFMH which sported a 1500' antenna tower, an 800 phone line, 100k watts, & an all request format).
In the 1980's, I called it Mindless America, where the fads do all your thinking for you. Reminds me of a line from Grateful Dead's Throwing Stones: "...fashion pages set the pace, lose a step fall out of grace...".
Like most things in life, you have to dig a little to find out what it is that you would consider good.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Last edited:

radtz

Tele-Holic
I know this is a bit off topic (I apologize OP), but I am always amazed (because I am am an idiot) how so many people don't see that music has to do with their coming of age years. I was born in the mid 60's, grew up in the 70s and came of age in the 80's. Guess what era of music I love? If you said the 80's you are correct.

When I hear "Send Her My Love" by Journey, it moves me because I'm brought back to when my high school crush chose someone else (oh the drama). I remember making out in cars to Loverboy and party's with Billy Squire playing, etc. You hear the music and it brings back feelings. It's part of the magic of music.

What doesn't move me is the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, etc. Do I respect it, enjoy it? Sure do. I wasn't my sound track from "back in the day". Do I get weepy about Rage Against the Machine, Back Street Boys, Blink 182? No. Not my soundtrack.

I know that a lot of the that 60's music fan crowd believes there hasn't been a good tune recorded since 1971 and that the 80's was total crap. It's not their sound track.

We live in a time that you can find every type of song being created now. Classic hard rock, soul, 60's flower child stuff, old school metal, new school metal, singer songwriter, etc. I love Aesthetic Perfection, Ghost, etc. But play me a Gene Loves Jezebel song and wow...

Not that it matters what I think, but don't tell me there isn't good stuff being created now. I will leave you to your thread now.....