Why can't I solder to the chassis? Well...er...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tele_savales, Jul 1, 2019.

1. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I'll either use the gun or a butane soldering iron for making a chassis blob.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Are you SURE it was 200W at the tip? Many of those inexpensive eBay irons specify only the power DRAW. If so, that may be a 60W or so iron. If it IS a 200W (at the tip) iron this is still something others may want to be aware of.

As far as guns - just don't ever use them on guitars. They can screw up magnetic pickups just by holding one too close.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

SF, TBH never even worried about it. Its definitely not 60w. It only serves one heavy duty purpose for me and makes cap can work fast and easy. Here it is next to my Hakko.

15627922936466496429178570088549.jpg

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Definitely 200W at the tip!

I was just asking because some HAVE bought "200w" irons that were 60-80W. Same thing as those who think they bought a "100 watt guitar amp" new for $69.99 - and were reading the power draw off the back of the amp.

BobbyZ and D'tar like this.
  5. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

I like this discussion. Always been a fan of big soldering irons and made a point of using them inappropriately when at UKAEA - it really wound up a particular technician when he saw me attacking surface mount stuff with a chisel tip...

When soldering to a chassis, get some plumbers flux (least expensive way of getting great flux). Dip some Scotch Brite or other abrasive pad into it - and scrub the area clean. Getting rid of the oxide is a great way of improving soldering. Then use it again to clean up after soldering before wiping with acetone, IPA or meths. It'll look way cleaner.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.