why can't I find any NEW bands that I like???

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Badabing, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I try and make it a point to find new music and bands. I look at many different Genre's but I just can't find any New bands that I can get excited about.

There are some bands out there that are creative or do a good job creating their own sound but I just can't get impressed by any of the New bands...

Has anyone else felt the same way or am I just too picky and crazy!!??!!:confused:

2. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

You're not digging deep enough. Listen to your local college radio station, usually a good place to discover new music. I'm sure people here will offer suggestions as well.

I like The Rival Sons, for one. My Morning Jacket has some good stuff out there. I like The Black Keys too, especially their earlier music, when it was raw and bluesy.

Forget listening to commercial FM rock radio. Most of it is the same tired old classic rock you've heard for decades. How many times can one listen to "Sweet Home Alabama"?

You live in SD. Drive up to Amoeba Music in Hollywood on a Saturday and spend some time. Bring cash. I spent over $150 the last time I was there. Amoeba has some of the most knowledgable salespeople working there, and they will take the time to recommend music to you if you ask for help.

3. vanklomk

vanklomk Tele-Meister

What I'm enjoying right now: Dawes, Deer Tick, Delta Spirit, Middle Brother (members from the first three bands listed, I believe), Bright Light Social Hour, Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, Felice Brothers, Tallest Man on Earth.

And Alabama Shakes.

4. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Bob,
    I subscribe to Rhapsody and can usually find most new music.

Not a big fan of this new kind of Rock like My morning Jacket or thie band jam stuff.

5. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Get yourself a subscription to a streaming service like Spotify, then just listen to everything and anything - go for different genres, nationalities, eras. Read reviews in the newspapers, read reviews on the web. If you think something sounds interesting, stream it. If you think something sounds challenging, stream it. If you think something sounds awful, stream it. It's the best £10 I spend each month, and there's almost too much good new stuff to listen to.

6. MatthewDickin

Am liking Savages, Coves, Childhood, Susanne Sondfør, Julia Holter, Palma Violets and Darren Hayman at the moment, but that will change next week.

What 'old' bands do you like?

7. johnnykazz

johnnykazz Tele-Meister

This is what I use as well. I spend $10 a month on Spotify, and listen to artists I want to listen to, and if I find an artist or album I like, then I goto my local record store and buy the physical album.

8. MatthewDickin

Sorry - didn't see that you were a Rhapsody subscriber... So you have 13 million songs at your disposal, and still can't find anything?!

Does Rhapsody do artist radio (like last fm)? That'll occasionally throw in something interesting.

9. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've found a lot of new-to-me stuff, both old and new, via iTunes and the "people who like that also bought this" thingee at the bottom of the screen.

10. phoenixash

phoenixash Tele-Holic

Found this guy recently Love Love Love......

11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I don't actively go looking for new bands but every so often I stumble across someone that catches my attention.

I try to always record the Letterman show just to check out the music section at the end of the programme. I've come across some interesting bands that I haven't heard of before through that.

And another fine programme to check out is the Jools Holland programme on BBC.

Came across Vintage Trouble and Alabama Shakes this year thanks to these two programmes.

12. Finster

Finster TDPRI Member

Hooks Holland is now on Palladia. Palladia is awesome. It's an HD only channel here (Comcast, Atlanta) that plays all live music: festival shows, story tellers, rock movies, and the aforementioned Jools Holland.

13. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

This is a great performance right here, plus the guitarist plays a cool Tele/LP/Jazzmaster hybrid. Grace is easy on the eyes too!

14. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

OP, I hear ya!
    Well, you might go through he wormhole and hit link after link on myspace music and find some cool unsigned band.
    I was Reading Simon Cowell`s autobiography, and he said DISCO was the apex of music for him - so if that`s the generation of guys who are music execs, ( Frank Zappa had some choice things to say about that in the real Frank Zappa Book) they`re peeing themselves over who they think the next Donna Summer is going to be.
    SO we`ll have to wait til they retire to get the next wave in.

15. vanklomk

vanklomk Tele-Meister

+1 on Jools Holland and Palladia. Got rid of satellite a few weeks ago and I really only miss that channel. And Seinfeld reruns.

16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

You can't find new bands you like because you're old. You only like bands full of old guys who were new when you were new. Since old guys don't start new bands, there are no new bands for old guys like you to find. New guys start new bands, but you're not new any more.

17. phoenixash

phoenixash Tele-Holic

That hurts man I'm shattered......

18. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Wow!

19. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Old is a state of mind. If you can't find new bands to listen to, you're not looking, not paying attention, or have a jaded ear/attitude and simply compare new bands to old bands you like.

20. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

oooooo *fail*

You folks right here on TDPRI constantly come up with great new bands and artists for me to explore.
    Case in point *Medicine*. That's a first for me and gets a thumbsup for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.