Why Bob Marley is the greatest musical gift our world has seen...?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I'm 35, have been into playing guitar/music for 20+ yrs, was even employed for music, and couldn't name a single Bob Marley tune.

I'm sure I'm familiar with them if you pointed them out to me, but I've never intentionally searched out a Marley tune in my life.

That's anecdotal and means nothing as to his place in history, btw.

But I will say that his music is fairly recent in the scope of human history, and it might be a little early to be talking about his lasting influence.

Sure there probably aren't many kids in 3rd world countries jamming to Bach & Beethoven, but their music is still taught, sold, and studied all over the world a couple hundred years later. It's influence is undeniable simply for the fact that it's still around.

If people are still enjoying Marley to that level 200+ yrs from now, then that's awesome and solidifies his place in history.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

This is a poignant thread and I'm really afraid to say much of anything, except that this is the only Marley song I've ever heard that has any production quality at all.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

First, Bob is absolutely awesome. When I had to drive a couple thousand miles to throw my father in laws remains into the Atlantic, six or seven Bob CDs made the drive with us. And they definitely got played.

But I just don’t hear his songwriting influence on current artists the way I still do the Beatles, for example. Or Led Zeppelin or the Stones. And I live in a city with a large Jamaican population. Maybe it’s out there and I’m just not aware.

Cheers,
    Geoff

RyCo1983 likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I guess this just highlights that we're all different, in our tastes, preferences, expectations, etc. No offence, but this is a bit over-produced to me. I have two versions of this song, one the 1967, faster version and the other the same as this, the 1972/73 version. The older one is delightfully bouncy. My copy of the second version does not sound as slick as the one here.

But that's fine. Some people like DIY sounding music and some don't, some like Albert Ayler and some don't, etc. It's all music and everyone can find a place at the table.

I heard two different releases of the Legends compilation album quite a while back, and I remember thinking, one of them sounded as though the life had been squeezed out of it. So, I have a sneaking suspicion his work has been remixed / remastered / etc. quite a bit over time.

Actually, I just had a listen on iTunes, and previewed this song, off both the 'Deluxe' and 'remastered' versions of Catch a Fire they are selling. They sounded different to each other.

Here's the 1973 Old Grey Whistle Test performance. Don't think anyone's posted this yet.

Pax/
    Dean

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I stand corrected kbold. That is the cool one.

6. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I love his music, although it is very unfortunate he wrote that song " buffalo solider." Lost some respect for him when I heard that.

7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

No, not even close, not by any measure. Maybe you think he deserves to be, which is fine and your opinion, but "the world" thinks otherwise.

8. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

I really think you need to get out more.

telemnemonics and Nick Fanis like this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A good musician with some great hits.. absolutely.

I suppose we can only answer things like from our own narrow perspective too. I’d expect plenty of communities, cultures and countries world wide would feel far more affinity with BM and his message than the pop of four guys from Liverpool.

I do think the wider ‘brand image’ as much as the music itself is perhaps a significant factor too in the OP, esp. in the developed West. I suspect that the colour palette and silhouette are known by more people than those who know the titles or lyrics of more than a couple of BM songs. His Les Paul Junior Special seared an image in my mind but I can’t actually place it with a song.

Island theme bars, beach holidays, surf shops, hemp sales, marijuana, civic oppression - the image of BM gets applied in lots of contexts and marketing.

It’s like the ubiquitous Che Guevara t shirts that serve to project a safe and fashionable faux counterculture image. I doubt anyone wearing one could really provide a full biography.

I’d say some get him but lots just dig the image. Dying young is part of how that works.

Les Paul Junior Special on my list because of Marley though..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Boxla likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Been watching a tv series called A Taste of Marley... his son Rohan doing a tour of Jamaica eating stuff and connecting with a lot of Bob's old places, friends and musos.... and telling the story of the reggae/rasta movement...

Interesting to see the esteem the people he meets show him as Bob's son....

good show..:)

Boxla likes this.
  11. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

I have 6 large black and white photographs in my music room of:

Bob Dylan
    John Coltrane
    Ray Charles
    The Beatles
    Miles Davis

and

Bob Marley

I'd never rank them, but yes OP Bob's in there for me.

Jerry J and Boxla like this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Or at least listen to a larger variety of music.

Or enroll in a musicology course .

Btw Bob Marley is awesome.
    And his BAND was even more awesome ,especially the Barret brothers.

My absolutely favorite reggae album ever is a dub/instrumental Wailers track selection by Chris Blackwell I bought years ago in London (well most likely done by Karl Pitterson or Errol Thompson who where the main engineers during BM's sessions) that has zero vocals

:D

Still my second ever favorite reggae album is definitely EXODUS ,a masterpiece.

Grodad likes this.
  13. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

There are definitely some BM songs without deep meaning, I was listening to Kinky Reggae yesterday and if that has deep meaning it's lost on me.

If the thread was 'have a stab in the dark at who you think the most universally recognised popular musician of the 20th century was' I'd probably say Bob Marley but I realise these things are unquantifiable. But there's a lot of brand Bob Marley - that doesn't mean he has touched the lives of everyone wearing a T shirt or drinking Bob Marley branded coffee.

Not my favourite reggae artist for my listening pleasure. Although I may just be being a snob about these things, preferring to listen to less popular artists.

14. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

This.........
    Personal music tastes aside, during a political civil war, while his own safety was still at risk, Bob called for a truce through uniting Michael Manly and Edward Seaga. On top of that, an early role model for humanitarian work in Ethiopia, Apartheid in South Africa and the UN for human rights.

Bob has stated many times that his primary goal in life was to spread positivity, world peace and end suffering, the music was just a vehicle......

He was a poet and a prophet, and I am not just talking about the songwriting. It’s well documented in the literature and interviews. He didn’t just write about it and perform it, he lived it, the real deal......a reminder to us all to try our hardest to do what we believe in and fight for what’s right.

I had not listened to Bob for a very long time, the other day I threw Exodus on the car stereo and nearly stopped in my tracks. The lyrics to songs like; Guiltiness, Natural Mystic and Exodus could have been written about any number of issues going on in the news today.

Yes there are others that fight for cause (Neil Young, Dylan, Lady Di etc....) but Bob put himself on the front line, and with a sense of spirituality...

Even if you are not a fan of the music, if you ever have time or inclination do some reading into his story, or watch some videos or documentaries, it’s a story of hope........ 1454CCC1-69DC-4E68-AA44-2105944824BA.png

15. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Bob didn't write Buffalo Soldier. And why would you lose any respect anyways for the man (King Sporty) who wrote that song? I'm utterly confused on that one

stevemc, Uncle Bob and Mexitele Blues like this.
  16. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

No doubt impressive on both of their parts. But we again we can't forget about Bob if we're going to go down this road. As many of us know Bob died of acral melanoma skin cancer. He was diagnosed in 1977. Bob continued to work hard, writing, rehearsing and performing. He had said he would die at age 36 and he knew he had work to do. He worked his band hard. Fast forward to 1980 and the cancer had spread from his toe to his brain. He was completely ate up. After two shows at Madison Square Gardens, he collapsed from a seizure while jogging in Central Park. He was taken to Cedars and told the cancer had spread everywhere and he had 2 weeks to live. The guy could barely stand up let alone perform but what did Bob do? Even though everyone in the small group that knew of his condition wanted him to cancel the tour right then and there Bob decided to go to the next stop in Pittsburgh. Normally Bob only did what he did to spread the message to the people but he said he wanted to do that last show because his band needed the money! He didn't even tell them his condition until they were taking the stage. Of course they were in shock and decided to speed up the songs so Bob would not jump around as much. Bob had someone on the side of the stage ready to catch him if he started to go down. He finished the show, a great show, and went on to try and treat his cancer. He ended up flying to Germany but to no avail. He died at age 36 on May 11, 1981. he accomplished quite a bit in 36 short years.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  17. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Fantastic post! Maybe one day another rising star will come from Yard. No doubt it is a special place on this earth.

One small correction. Bob's dad was not from Germany. Bob's dad was a born and raised Jamaican. Of course he was white and Bob's mom was black but Bob said...I don't dip pon the white man's side and I don't dip pon the black man's side, I did pon God's side.

Uncle Bob, BorderRadio and elihu like this.
  18. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

No doubt Bob had a slightly different sound right before he got signed to Island records. I love the sound from 67-73. Has some of his/their best tracks-Caution, Back Out, Soul Shakedown Party etc... So you preferring those tracks to the later tracks is a common sentiment.

Legend had two different mixes from day 1. There was a UK mix and a US mix and both are completely different. Since then there's has been many more remixes.

The Catch a Fire Deluxe vs Remastered are also completely different. What you're hearing with the deluxe version is the album Catch a Fire in it's original state as the Wailers recorded and mixed in Jamaica. Bob then flew the tapes over to Chris Blackwell in London and they remixed the album while also re-recording certain parts. That remixed album is the version of the album we're all used to. And we can see how smart Blackwell really was in the process but dang that Jamaican mix is incredible.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  19. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Hmmm not even close, not by any measure eh? That may be my opinion but the WORLD thinks otherwise? Ok

Awesome that you'd mention Karl Pitterson! Karl is who mixed and produced the Peter Tosh album I was involved with and has recorded and mixed two albums for our band as well as some one off songs for me. One of the kindest and most musical guys I've ever met. His contribution to music is very deep.

You know I didn't say it but Bob basically had two types of songs, message songs and love songs. Kinky Reggae would be considered a love song. So yeah, if we're going to go looking for true meaningful messages in Guava Jelly, Stir it Up, Kinky Reggae, Waiting in Vain, Turn you Lights Down Low etc.. we may not find them but hopefully you'd instead find a special someone to be with for those tunes.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Bob was great, but not THE guy. I’d put him in the same category as guys like Hendrix and Marvin Gaye. Their respective outputs were imbued with a certain special magic. They were touched in a way people like, say, the Stones were not.

Sure, he was special. But so was Marvin. Can’t you feel the same spirit oozing out of “What’s Going On”?

Uncle Bob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.