Why Bob Marley is the greatest musical gift our world has seen...?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM.

1. Boxla

Boxla TDPRI Member

If anyone is interested, let's have a fun discussion on why or why not Bob Marley is the greatest and most important musician our world has ever seen and how he affects more individuals on this planet more than any other musician or band.

Obviously you can tell how I lean on this topic. To me and my worldly observations, I can come to no other conclusion that he must be the most meaningful and important musician ever. Why? Here's just a few thoughts;
    1-His songs actually mean something. Not a few of them or a handful of them, but nearly every single one. When we decided the cover the earth with his songs he inteneted to have important meaninful message music for the people. Every song has a message that can reverberate through each and every one of us. He even proves that you don't have to speak English or Patois to pick up and overstand his message.
    2-There is not a corner of this earth that you can travel to today, yesterday or tomorrow where you will not see an image of Bob or hear his music in some fashion. I've never seen this with any other band or musician. I've been to Amazon river fishing for peacock bass with Amazonian fishing guides who don't speak one word of English but they somehow did know Marley's songs. And lot of them. I even saw a Marley t-shirt there. I've been all over and it's never failed. I don't want to throw anyone else or any band under the bus, but I've never seen the t shirt of anybody besides Bob whereever I go. You could travel for a month in Africa and never hear a "Western" song or see a Western band or musician's t shirt but you'll see a Marley shirt in the airport and you'll hear his music wherever you go. You can go to Scandinavia and witness the exact same thing. You can go to Japan, Italy, Canada, New Zealand, India and see the same thing. It's no joke.
    3-Why is that? Well I think Bob's music, the actual music of his style of roots reggae, and his lyrics are food for the people. His messages actually give people a reason to get up in the morning, they give them nourishment to get through tough days. His messages are so simple that even little kids know and sing them. Song in and song out he had messages that we can relate to everyday and you don't need to weed through some ambiguity to try and figure out what he's saying. He had an incredible gift of being able to write such simple yet undeniably catchy melodies.
    4-Time Magazine named his album Exodus and the most important album of the second half the 20th Century. I'll go one step further and say he's the most important musician of the 20th century and the 21st Century. Of all the music today, his may very well be the only music still being played around the world in a thousands years. Maybe there will be others, I don't know who, but we know his will be played.

If it's not Bob then who is it? If you had to name the one band or musician who continues to impact the entire planet more than anyone who would you say? Someone who impacted yesterday, today and for many years to come?

I could go on but What say you? This is all in good fun. One Love

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I liked him, a lot.
    That’s all I can say.

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Love Bob.

Love The Grateful Dead more.

4. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Yeah well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 10:21 AM
    howardlo, Ben-Zion, teletail and 6 others like this.
  5. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

"Music is not a competition."

-Pete Seeger (greatest musician ever)

6. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    ".....name the one band or musician who continues to impact the entire planet more than anyone who would you say? Someone who impacted yesterday, today and for many years to come?...."

Hmmm, good question. I can only relate to what has impacted me in the past and brought me to where I am today. Tomorrow is a 'whole 'nuther ballgame'.
    But what I will say is that my exposure to Marley's catalogue is limited and based on your post I should endeavor to dig a little deeper. I think I will. Thanks for the nudge.

Boxla likes this.
  7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

... yeah ... he's right up there with Mozart and Bach and Duke Ellington and George Van Eps. You are kidding right?

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Personally, it’s a tough call between the Beatles and James Taylor.
    Your opinions will no doubt vary.
    Cool with me.
    Like Ringo says, Peace and Love!

8barlouie, Greggorios and Boxla like this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think in terms of greatest this or best that. I sure appreciate enthusiasm, though.

Undeniable groove, right here:

10. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

nope

thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Bob’s rhythm skank found its way into my playing. I can take a Grateful Dead song and give it a totally different groove.
    Best of both worlds.

Ben-Zion and Boxla like this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Bob Marley was pretty awesome in my world. Uprising is still one of my favourites.

maxvintage and Boxla like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

He pretty much started the Genre in the world eyes.
    And like said above it is not a race. Beehoven was not in a race.

However, items like "songs that mean something", do not mean anything.

Jerimiah was a bullfrog had no meaning and sold millions.

I think your tdpri name indicates soimething.

Boxla likes this.
  14. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Hugely gifted songwriter/performer, hugely influential.
    (Okay, as gifted as anybody, and more influential than most, if not everyone in what is, social significance aside, essentially the world of pop music, in its literal definition.)
    Isn't that enough?)
    I know that I love his music.

brookdalebill and Boxla like this.
  15. Boxla

Boxla TDPRI Member

Of course it's easy to throw out those composers and rightfully so. But honestly, how much does Bach impact your life or the life of a kid in Mexico City? When was the last time you saw anyone wearing a George Van Eps or Bach t-shirt? Or playing any of those four's music outside of a specific setting? You may think the t-shirt thing is silly to bring up but it's a clear barometer of someone's impact or exposure to the world. And that's what I'm talking about here. Not who is most important to you or who has impacted you the most, I'm discussing who has impacted the world the most. Who on a daily basis gives hope and spirit and direction to the downtrodden (which the majority of the world is)? This is just observation but I have never been to a place in my life where I didn't hear Bob's music or see his image whether it was painted on a mural, spray painted on a stop sign or on a shirt or poster. And he's the only one I've seen of that. Besides Bob and a few other Jamaican artist, the Grateful Dead are easily my most favorite band. And we all see a ton of Grateful Dead shirts but once you start venturing around the world you're not going to see then at every turn you make but you'll see Bob. You won't see a Dead shirt in Ethiopia or Russia but you'll definitely see a lot of Bob ones.

The kids of today have no idea who Duke Ellington is and they never will know. That's just the reality. As good and genius as he was the masses will never know. Same goes for Michael Hedges and Van Eps. Heck, even the kids in Jamaica don't know who Peter Tosh or Gregory Isaacs is but they all know Bob. He's the only one they know from the old days.

16. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

All incredible, Im sure (I confess I had never heard of Van Eps.) But their influence is very much limited to western 1st world countries. Marley's sound has no such constriction.

17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

JS Bach for me. Every time I play one of his pieces on my mandolin I discover something new and I’m continually amazed by genius that unfolds for me.

I do like Bob Marley though. I like what he had to say.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM
  18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

You might be on to something OP. Regarding point #2 I recently took a vacation outside of the country. And everybody knew of Marley whereas names like Springsteen or Taylor Swift were met with blank stares. But you might want to amend your post as follows: the "greatest and most important musician of the twentieth century."

It would be easier to defend.

;)

19. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Yeah the title is pure clickbait. :eek:

Boxla likes this.
  20. Boxla

Boxla TDPRI Member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Songs that mean something" don't mean anything. Many songs that don't mean anything, such as Jeramiah and Thriller, sell millions but Bob's songs that actually have a meaning also sell millions. There is no meaning to Jerimiah was a bullfrog and he was the greatest of friends but something so simple as "One Love, one heart, Let's get together a feel alright" does have significant meaning. Of course that message is old tried and true with us but Bob came up with that. No one said it in musical form before him. That one little message can unite an entire kindergarten class and I've witnessed many times.
    My tdpri name has to do with Box Lacrosse. The national sport of Canada and maybe the greatest sport on two feet. Oh nah, I'm not going there lol. One Love!!!

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.