Why aren't there any brownface reissues? (Is it because of Hip Hop? ;-))) )

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telephonist, Jun 16, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

funny what some people get away with.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Can't believe this actually happened on TDPRI!

[​IMG]

I was wondering about that... when I saw it I thought "Oh is this another one of those threads about how Hip Hop is dumb and has made guitars obsolete?" :D Glad to see I was wrong though.

3. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

drf64 likes this.
  4. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

yep, and it was way more organic than the modern quantizated rap which i can't stand because of it..

5. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

yes, and Pete Townshend now gigs w a 50w VibroKing (i think).
    Doesnt need the onstage big iron wattage.Just good monitors and mixers..

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Sure. Like any form of music, the earliest versions of it are generally way better than what it becomes. Modern rap is pure garbage. It's parody of itself. Earlier rap was often very good.

7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I am not trying to jump into the middle of an argument, but not all law comes from statutes. U.S. law comes from a combination of statutes and case opinions. In the 2004 case of Newton v. Diamond, a federal appeals court said the following about sampling:

Citation: 388 F.3d 1189.

Google link: The language appears on page 1192.

Link to PDF of cited article.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  8. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

Spot on
    Brownface amps do not sound like a Marshall imo.Cranked certainly not.Different amp topology.
    The brownface grit/dirt comes from lower powered OTs that Fender put in to protect the low watt alnico speakers from crapping out.Different for the 4 speaker ones as they could handle the full 40/50w.
    Still, the brownface are closer to blackface than tweeds or Marshalls.Tonestack, coupling caps, cathode bypass etc.
    Ask a tech, folks..

Marquee Moon likes this.
  9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

So I appreciate what you’re trying to say, but the opinion that you cite is still retroactively applying the term “sampling” to a practice that could not have been described in that way prior to the invention of samplers.

My whole point of emphasizing the distinction was to show that MM was not familiar with the way that people who make beats talk and think about their practice. I don’t believe that the judge in Newton v. Diamond seems any more familiar with that culture.

Intellectually the practices are the same. Functionally they are not. The opinion that you cite even recognizes that cutting between turntables has limitations that using a digital sampler does not. Likewise, sampled beats sometimes feel lifeless/soulless because of the pristine copy and steady tempo.

For the purposes of law, it makes sense to use “sampling” as a catch all. For the purposes of discussing music and how it is made, it does not. I’m not a lawyer, I’m a musician. I don’t know what MM does for money, but that’s between him and God.

10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I never claimed to be a hip hop producer. I don't have to be one to have my own qualifications for what sampling is. I already apologized for offending you, why cant you just agree to disagree?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

BURN!!!

Marquee Moon likes this.
  12. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Yes, I wonder what she thinks of all this.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  13. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Way off topic but -
    Yes it is. We a currently 11,000 years into a 50,000 year intergalcial ( warm period ) of the Quarternary Glaciation ( Ice Age ). due to the earths cycles with the sun ( Milankovitch Cycle ).So it will get warmer providing no catastrophic event occurs. Green house gasses from Human activity could delay the next due glaciation in 39,000 years by up to 150,000 years regardless of the Milancovitch Cycle. Good for some, bad if your a Polar Bear.
    HOWEVER.
    One of the planets biggest disasters since the great extinction is deforestation which has cut the removal of Carbon Monoxide, Carbon & Sulfur Dioxide from the atmosphere by ⅔. in addition to the extinction of plant & animal. So scientifically global warming cannot be soley blamed on human activity but destroying & poisoning the planet can.
    Maybe I don't really need that Brownface amp after all.

monkeybanana and Greg_L like this.
  14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This thread has entered a death spiral as it nears the event horizon of the *off-topic black hole.* Luckily, all the atoms of its posts and posters are being compressed and shredded by super-gravity so no one will suffer.

Unless it gets torn apart into multiple off-topic threads -- new black holes seem to be springing up all around it. :D

LuthRavin, David Barnett and ruger9 like this.
  15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

As they say, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Greg_L likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you. Let it serve as a warning to those who might, in their blissful ingnorance of hip hop and the history of sampling, wish to discuss brownface Fender amps.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was thinking about the Princeton Recording, but didn't want to throw gasoline on the fire. :lol:

18. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

This sounds pretty subjective.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Can't you just get a Blackface Fender amp and re-tolex it in brown? I mean sure, technically "Brownface Fender" refers to a specific series of amplifiers designed between 1959 and 1963, but I think if the amp is brown, it should be called a Brownface amp. I don't see what the problem with that could be. It's not like musicians have specific terminology for tools and techniques that is ingrained in the history, traditions and culture of what they do, after all.

20. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

This is my ‘61 Brownface Pro in a custom cab with a 1-12” Lil Texas. (The original cab is in storage)
    Best of my knowledge it’s never been used for Rap but it might have been used for recording. It puts out a tone so heavenly that it reverses Global Warming.

There...... I covered all four of the main topics in this thread.:lol: 482B619A-5002-410A-8FBB-FB933D8830C0.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    dannyh, Axis29 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.