Why aren't there any brownface reissues? (Is it because of Hip Hop? ;-))) )

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telephonist, Jun 16, 2019.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Touché. But did Rapper’s Delight use a sampler?

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Irrelevant. I was responding to the claim that no samplers existed at the time of the first mainstream rap song.

3. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

The idea of a Brown Princeton with Reverb is the EXACT amp I was asking about in a thread from a few days ago. Marsh Amps makes the Buffalo: a Brown Princeton with a 12” speaker, Reverb and Master Volume for under $1300. Yet, if you use Google, NOBODY is talking about it. Can’t even get a bite on my thread despite the “forum popularity” of Brownface amps at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    ruger9 likes this.
  4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

A very well thought out and eloquently argued rebuttal. OVERRULED.

5. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

I just edited the thread title... ;-)

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

It’s really f-u-n that you two came in to open up two more fronts in this convo, but I don’t have time to address three times as much petty parsing and obfuscation as I already was.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I've known about the Buffalo for a few years. The only reason I never considered buying it is, no one seems to own one, and the demo SUCKS. Even tho it's a 6G2, the BF reverb has GOT to change things somehow? I'd like to hear/read more about it... because resale is going to suck lol.

8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

You're probably right. I'd way rather talk about guitars, pickups, tonewoods, and amplifiers. I learned some things about rap here that I didn't know. But I think for the purposes of at least 99 percent of the people on this forum, any small piece of music used by someone who didn't write and record said material, whether it was extracted using a handheld tape recorder, or vinyl that is manipulated by hand, or digitally extracted and manipulated, and used as the backbone for another piece of music (and I am 100% certain many on this forum would argue that it's music at all, I am not one of them) qualifies as a "sample". It doesn't jibe with the dateline of the history of the specific jargon; it doesn't have anything to do with a court ruling as to what the legal definition of a sample is, I think most people are going to call that small piece of someone else's material a sample. And on top of that, they think it's plagarism. I disagree with that, as long as credit is given.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  9. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

They also rabidly defend and worship at the altar of master plagiarist, Jimbo Page.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So you thought you’d tie “brownface” with a predominately African-American music ?

I’ll remember to move away from you if it’s your time to make a toast at a wedding...o_O

Edit: AND you’re from Germany ?! Forget that last part . I definitely wouldn’t be at that wedding. :eek:

JohnnyCrash and Greg_L like this.
  11. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I didn’t read everything prior to my post here, but...

My experience with brownface amps is this:

Besides classic recordings, I’ve owned a ‘63-reissue Vibroverb since 1992, I’ve played through an original Princeton multiple times, and used to regularly go listen to a guy who played exclusively through a brown Deluxe.

I can honestly say they have their own sonic personality—and I love it. I especially love the Tremolo/Vibrato/Whatever circuit on my Vibroverb.

If I were in the market for another amp (which I’m not), I’d seriously consider the Chris Stapleton Princeton...but I also know that I’m not your average consumer, so I might not be a good marketing indicator.

I don’t use a lot of reverb (the reverb on my Vibroverb is rarely used, and even then, it’s usually very subtle).

I prefer the aesthetics of Tweed, Brownface and Silverface amps to the traditional/more popular Blackface amps (not that I dislike Blackface amps, I just like the others better).

I prefer the tone of the tweed and brownface amps over the blackface.

I prefer the tweed tremolo/vibrato/whatever, which I’m told is the same circuit used on the Vibroverb.

Since the current trend of smaller amps is in full swing, would a good “Modern Player”-type line of re-imagined brownface Princeton and Deluxe amp, combining the traditional brown circuits with an added reverb sell well?

I don’t know, but I’d sure look at one. Of course, it would tick off the purists, but I dislike purism, so that would be an added bonus for me.

The problem is people getting over themselves and not listening with their eyes or basing their rigs/instrument choices solely on what their heroes used.

13. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I just saw Neil Young in concert for the sixth or seventh time and every time he was going thru his Tweed Deluxe and he was using it as a head(using externals) pretty much from what I could see. Believe me, he has no trouble being heard..NONE..

14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Well, to be fair, he probably has ten billion watts of PA helping him out too.

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I was thinking he was poking fun at how his thread drifted off topic. I hope...

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree with L&D. OP was not being offensive. Germans usually stick to the subject and get things done. They don't meander around Robin Hood's barn and contemplate their navels.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Well put, amigo. I can say I have been through any number of phases in thinking about this stuff, and I've kind of come to a place where I like them all. Tweed, brownface, Blondies, BF and SF. Used to be, I just didn't like the look of SF, but I got over that, too.

If I had to guess, any number of ordinary people would not be able to discern the difference, in a blind listening test, properly administered, between Tweed and brownface, etc. etc. Since there aren't that many of original brownface amps out there anyway, it's hard to say. I've heard more of the Vibroverb reissues than I have of the original. But then, I was ten years old when they first came out.

My first real memories of Fender amps: Blackface, all the way across the stage. Nothing but blackface. So, I definitely have a very sentimental attachment.

I'll have to say, though, the picture posted in this thread of a Brownface Concert got me drooling.

cheers!

Fiesta Red and drf64 like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Absolutely.

Plus the billion wattsof PA, plus his 5e3 runs 6L6 and has bigger transformers and he always -nowadays -has a 5g9 onstage as well as a tweed twin plus who knows what else tweed-ish.

https://www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/358528820309785061/

when/how he uses them and in what combinations I have no idea .

LuthRavin likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Plus a big Baldwin amp and a Gibson GA79RVT.

20. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Just to clarify this: I didn't mean to offend anyone with the new thread title. I just made a joke, because the thread went so extremely off-topic.

The connection between brown face, hip-hop and afro Americans doesn't even work in German linguistically as you seemed to have understood it. I realized that not until a few of you quoted my post.

But it was well worth the joke! ;)

In Germany we have a saying: Rather losing a friend, than missing out a joke! :p

Axis29, King Fan and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.