Why aren't there any brownface reissues? (Is it because of Hip Hop? ;-))) )

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telephonist, Jun 16, 2019.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Agreeing to disagree is a pretty good example of subjectivity.

EllroyJames likes this.
  2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I am aware this matter is subjective, because it is. I am not saying sampling with a sampler or daw is not sampling. I am not saying that sampling is stealing, assuming you get the permission to use the material. To myself and alot of people my age, using someone else's music is sampling, regardless of the medium with which you sample, because you are using someone else's work. If you want to have your own narrow standards for what constitutes a sample of someone else's work, based on hip hop culture, more power to you. That is not going to change how I feel about the matter. For what it is worth, I am on a few hip hop crate diggers groups, in which almost everyone is a hip hop producer. The music used to make old school hip hop would get referred to as "samples," even though digital samplers were not used at that point, because the principle of using prerecorded music in a new composition would be the same. If someone was to say in response to someone asking what sample was used on this song, "oh no man, there is no sample used because samplers weren't commercially availible to most people at this time," people in the group would think that was unusual considering we know they used portions of another groups musical recordings to make this record. https://www.whosampled.com/Grandmas...-of-Grandmaster-Flash-on-the-Wheels-of-Steel/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No one seemed to mind when Queen and David Bowie sampled the bass line from Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Beautiful amp, I want to try some of these larger brown amps so bad... I'm really jonesing to try a Concert. The whole 4x10 thing is always exciting to me.

I love my Vibroverb, but it is only a Reissue. I can't remember actually ever hearing a real, vintage brown/blond amp in person. Isn't that sad?

(and you did miss the fourth topic within this thread, global warming)

teletimetx and Tomm Williams like this.
  5. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Brownface concerts seem to be the least expensive model generally, perhaps due to weight?. I found mine for $1,800 but it had a non original transformer ( no biggie to me). They really are wonderful sounding amps.

I’ll edit my post to include Global Warming :lol::lol::lol:

Axis29 likes this.
  6. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Maybe Global Warming is the real reason Fender doesn't reissue any more brownface amps - they're guarding the world from being exposed to too much of that "warm" brownface sound...

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol:Interesting choice of words, considering those attenuators had the tendency to get a little too warm.

8. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I think you may be on to something here...... in my efforts to save the world, you can safely dispose of those planet-wrecking amps at my house. AOC and Bernie will thank you!!:p

9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

This thread has it all...but needs more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Axis29 and teletimetx like this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, yeah! the 3 X 10 Bandmaster! i would love to hear one of those. I've only seen pictures...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.