1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why aren't Multiscale guitars more Popular?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Jan 22, 2021.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

By multiscale I mean fanned fret guitars with a 26.5" bass string and a 25.5" high E string. It seems to me the bass would sound substantially better and I heard they are comfortable and easy to get accustomed to.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple reasons to reject them. I think there isn't trem available for them. Also, there are very few pickups designed to work with them. Are there several other disadvantages too? I'm a hardtail player so maybe one of these would be good for me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

kaludjerko likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar players are historically resistant to change. Acceptance of these sorts of innovations occurs through attrition.

TRBonn, Asmith, whole tone and 6 others like this.
  4. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

how u gonna finger the e diminished chords (which is closer to a 1st inversion c triad in treble with a C# octave in the bass) in 'caravan' when the frets aren't lining up with your fingers??? slant barres could be interesting . . .

meaning, the main advantage of being able to use greater spreads in voicings seems complicated by the fanning going opposite the way my wrist would want to bend if it weren't perpendicular to the neck.

most of the folks i see playing multi-scale are either tappers, djenters, or downtuners

loopfinding likes this.
  5. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't know, but this was always my take on it- Most of the guys playing these guitars are probably using an open tuning and only using one finger most of the time. Playing jazz chords on that guitar is probably hard to do well. Powerchords can even be tricky.

hepular likes this.
  6. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

We don’t need no innovation.
    We don’t need no multi-scale.
    No dark new features in the studio.
    Luthier leave them kids alone...

:lol:

7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

BuckSatan, Mexitele Blues and DugT like this.
  8. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

He did scale noodlery around the 10th-12th-14th frets, where they are the most perpendicular to the neck. No chords.

Got Twang and NoTeleBob like this.
  9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This I don't think is so much true. Odd tunings, yes, but not so much open tunings for one-finger chords. Not so much cowboy chords, but a lot of single note lines and power chords.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My best friend, guitar mentor and producer of his own EPs, swears by fan fret guitars and basses. He has numerous ones of each. He'll be the first to point out that fan frets resolves the major flaw in traditional guitars. We can only intonate one string and then just a couple notes of the other strings, whereas every note can be intonated on a fan fret.

I play blues, so I am good with the inherent flaws.:D

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i played a 5-string bass with fanned frets.
    Just didn't feel right to me.

That was about six years ago.
    The guy who owned it loves it to this day.

12. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, not the best example of his playing. There was a really cool solo blues thing he did in a Sanborn Sessions video, but it's not up anymore. He did a cover of Marley's Natty Dread album many years back with a drummer and two horn players. He used a heavy tremolo in the higher strings to get more of an organ sound on this one:

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i'm not sure i really see the point of a multi scale 6 string unless you're tuning down to B or A. but even then, a 25.5" can handle B ok with the right cable for the 6th string. me, i'm a scumbag, i tune my SG down to B and embrace the flop. but in general i think it makes more sense on 7, 8 string guitars.

buster poser and gregulator450 like this.
  14. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

Because there’s only so much BS many are willing to take. The bike industry falls into this trap too- we get “innovations” and “improvements” every year, and still average speeds in the pro tour races don’t change much. The guys who talk about bikes get excited, and the guys who ride them largely don’t give a damn.

Django Rheinhardt was 1000x better than I am and he had two freaking fingers, let alone fanned frets. You’ve got to remember to play the damned things once in a while... I’ll practice more, thank you.

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

That guitar looks like it got too close to a black hole.

The reason they aren't more popular? I think I'm open minded ... and that thing looks uncomfortable and needlessly challenging to play. Maybe that's the impression most players get looking at it.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

There might be a few misconceptions out there, so let me dispel some of them. First, it is pretty easy to adapt because in Standard tuning, you bar just changes angle which for the most part is more ergonomic. My buddy is a shredder, but also with jazz guitar as his foundation. A top player compared to a hack like me, but his ear to tune is much more precise and the fan fret helps eliminate notes being more in tune. He is very particular and uses baratone guitars to fill in between guitar and bass.

gregulator450 likes this.
  17. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

In this video a guy discusses why he thinks Multiscale is better.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Because they are Sick and Wrong.

*gazes sadly at three saddle bridge*

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Solution in search of a problem?

20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Because it would take away from most of my nutty string bending tricks, esp multi-string and contrary motion.
    I do alot. (no B or G Bender etc.).

I tap w bending sometimes too.
    No-Go!

Resistance to it has nothing to do with not liking inventiveness and change!

Dan German likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.