Why aren't bass roll offs more common (like on G&L & Reverend)?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Golem, Aug 14, 2019.

1. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I rewired my Gretsch 5120 when I replaced the original pickups and while I was doing it, I put in a bass contour instead of having the Master Volume knob. It really cleans up the boominess if I want a cleaner tone. I’ve also had it in aLes Paul, and that really helped a lot. I wish more guitars had it, but yes, we are a traditional bunch.

I also think Reverend has been (justifiably) stingy with details on how their control works. Joe Gore had a helpful article in Premier Guitar, but his hand-drawn wiring diagram confused me some, and it’s taken a couple of years to see clearer diagrams being posted (which they now are). Perhaps the control will be more common in a couple of years, as more and more people mod their guitars to include it.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

The bass cut on Reverends has made me a convert to them

(not to mention their general great quality to price ratio)

Golem likes this.
  3. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

cyclopean likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

love the one on my Rev bayonet

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have two serious questions for folks who understand this topic. I have a Gretsch Anniversary with a mud switch. My individual volume controls roll off treble faster than volume but with the treble rolled down the guitar gets muddy. Is there a way to wire the mud switch for bass roll off? My other question is what is the advantage of bass roll off on the guitar over an equalizer pedal?

6. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

That was a big selling point for me. I had been looking for a PRS SE One for a while (tough to find) or a non-insanely-priced Gibson LP JR, but ended up with a Reverend Sensei Jr as my "light and handy" P90. The bass contour allows that one pickup to cover so much tonal ground - that I don't miss a neck PU at all.

7. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Yamaha has a bass cut circuit in their Revstars that acts as a bass cut switch: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/yamaha-dry-switch-wiring-trickery.1884480/ so it's possible that you might be able to mod a mud switch to act as a bass cut (it's a switch so you can't roll it off in the sense that you roll a tone knob).

I find the advantage of the bass roll-off on the guitar is that the control is on my guitar and easier to manipulate on the fly. I'm hesitating to mod my 594 Soapbar to have a bass roll-off so I use my Pinball tilt-shift instead. It can roll-off bass frequencies and actually tilt the whole EQ to brighten up the pickups as well as act as a boost if desired. I'm finding that's enough added functionality to make that EQ pedal a better option than just a bass roll-off on the guitar.

Edit: Whether it would be a good choice on a Gretsch probably depends on the amount of bass in the pickups you're using. I could imagine it working with a Hilotron or Powertron. But the lower output filtertrons seem like they might not have enough bass response for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.