Why aren't bass roll offs more common (like on G&L & Reverend)?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Golem, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

It sounds great with hotter single coils like P90s, the Z Coils, and also seems to work pretty well with humbuckers (although I've honestly only ever tried it in a G&L with a JB in the bridge).

Is it just that it's not traditional? I tend to use EQ pedals a lot like the VFE Pinball, so I can get the same results from a pedal if needed, but it is handy to have that bass contour on the guitar itself.

Digital Larry likes this.
  2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

i did it myself on this one and works great. maybe the lack off guitars in shops to try out is one of the reasons

Golem likes this.
  3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I installed a bass cut pot in my Carvin guitar. I used a 0.0022 microfarad cap and a 500K pot. It "cleans up" distortion, making it more biting and forward in the mix. It also cuts volume since the bass frequencies take up so much power. I would not do it with single coils, but I find it a viable option with humbuckers.

Golem likes this.
  4. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I wouldn't do it with a typical tele or strat pickup. I do think it sounds good with P90s though. Andy plays a 290 with P90s with the bass contour full, min, and half at different points in this demo. It's noticeable.

5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Sorry for being a fan of Andy's demos, but his demos of G&Ls and Reverends are the best examples of the bass contour:

Here's a Pete Anderson Hollowbody with the bass contour at different settings at different points of the video.

6. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I'm tempted to do this to my 594 Soapbar. LOL. Might take a hit on resell value of I did that to such a pricey guitar.

7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm considering trying it on my American Deluxe Strat, for when the S1 switch is engaged.

Golem likes this.
  8. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The S-1 in your guitar gives you single coils in series? I could imagine it might help in that scenario. Really anytime where you think you could benefit with less bass in your tone.

9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, depending on the selector switch's position the neck or bridge will be in series with the middle, or the neck or bridge will be in parallel with a "special capacitor" (I honestly don't know what's going on there), and then that will be in series with the middle.

Anyway, yeah, it's supposed to ape humbucker tones, so I imagine a bass roll-off option might make for some useful versatility in the S-1 positions. And maybe even in the "normal" positions. Sometimes a guy just wants a thinner tone, y'know?

10. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I made a bass cut on a mini toggle switch for my Strat.

.0022uF cap and a 500k resistor. Works great. Especially with my OCD stacked with my Fuzz Face. Using the bass cut with overdrive AND fuzz stacked together gets you into metal territory.

The bass cut can also be cool with wah, especially on the neck pickup. Can help it cut through a lot better and really clean up the sound. I've considered slightly tweaking the values of the components to get slightly less bass cut. .0022uF and 500k do cut a fair amount of bass out, although in a bedroom it might sound slightly thin, in a live, loud setting, it can really cut through the mix. Sounds great recorded too. Don't really have to EQ at all.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

To answer the question, I think it's just not traditional and guitarists VERY traditional for the most part. I have been using my EQ pedal as a bass cut and it's been working great as a rhythm tone, turned off for soloing. I would get one on a guitar, but I don't do too well with complicated guitar controls and the only mod I'm planning to do is already very complex for me.

12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

EF312970-4060-40F4-B366-0C587EF022AE.jpeg My Reverend Rick Vito has a bass roll off and a pickup blend instead of a 3 way switch. Very versatile and beautiful guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.