1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are used teles so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cedarburger, Dec 20, 2020.

1. FenderT40

FenderT40 TDPRI Member

I have a 2013 MIM tele and a 1991 MIM Strat for sale on craiglist right now, both priced reasonably.....I have had several calls on the Tele and none on the strat. As a financial advisor for 30 years the idea is to buy low sell high. Strats are a great deal right now if your a Strat player. As a guitar player, get the best deal for what you love to play...the tele is my baby. You will pay $400 to $550 for a compromised MIM tele and higher for super clean. Knock $200 off that for strats. It is a supply verses demand issue. I see lots of strats on CL and Reverb, but far fewer Teles. Teles are keepers. Also there are many cheap copies of strats, not so much for teles. I think I am going to change my prices today. Lower the strat raise the tele. LOL

2. Buddhablue

Buddhablue TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

the biggest reason is that so many people want them.
    (i'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but it's the market that is driving it up.)

for me, i'm mostly a tele/tele-like and i just can't get over the mexican teles.
    they feel as good, play as good, sound as good...
    plus, one of the last ones i got was to replace the pups on it with P-rails, so the pups weren't that important. (extra set of the wide-range humbuckers if anyone wants them)

but, compare the used MIMs to the used MIAs, i'm sure they are still a bargain.
    dab

3. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

It seems that used guitars and guitars in general are just way too costly. There was a time (back in the 1960's) when Fender and Gibson put all of their talent and skill into making "A" tele or strat, SG or Paul and it was the best quality they could offer for ONE FIXED PRICE. I bought a brand new tele in 1968 and paid $145 with case. THERE WERE NO BASIC TELES THEN SPECIAL TELES THEN DELUXE TELES THEN SUPER DUPER SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC TELES!!!! No, it was ONE GOOD TELE FOR ONE DECENT PRICE. We now live in the "Baskin Robbins Era" where there are 50 versions of the same basic concept at increasing amounts of money. It is all plain BULL and don't get me started on the nonsense of ARTIST MODELS.

anthony79 likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The answer to this question for any product or service is literally always the same:

Supply and demand.

There are limited exceptions/distortions to this. Guitars are not one of them.

I cannot understand why this question comes up so often and generates pages discussion.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I wish I liked cheap strats. I just have a hard time finding tones I like....... Grrrrrrrr... I actually prefer the way they look and the smooth body. But I like the sounds of a Tele better and the feel overall. Even though I'd rather have a smoother body.

Honestly, to me there is nothing like a Tele. I have a feeling other people feel the same way. I don't know if less Teles are made. It does seem like that is the case. But I agree that there are waaaaay less on the used market. Cheap strats are everywhere. But even with them the good strats aren't as prevalent for sale. More than Teles though. I think it's like cheap strats vs teles is about 10/1 and MIM or MIA strats vs teles it's about 6-8/1.

That's my observations.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It does mean that Tele’s hold their value better. Like for like a Tele is the same price new as a Strat.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Us Brits have more or less cornered the market in sarcasm...................but we use it sparingly.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, and then we compound the problem by ordering cheaply made stuff on line. As with the companies you describe above, the small shops go down the tubes first, then the corporate set ups. Slowly, the companies abroad that manufacture cheap, disposable kit to dump on the Western world, move up market. Started with Japan, remember when Japanese cars were dirt cheap? We were the first market they attacked, mainly because they didn’t need to move the steering wheels. They are now making top notch cars, Honda, Toyota etc., whilst the likes of Kia took over the cheap end and are now moving up market. Fender’s approach is ‘if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em. Sound business practice. Have a foot in all of the quality levels and then hike all of the prices.

The only reason China currently supply us with cheap, low quality goods at the moment is because it’s what we want from them. The are more than capable of making, and exporting, hi tech stuff.When tge time is deemed right, they’ll slowly ramp up the prices and quality incrementally.

9. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

10. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

No used Tele's on CL??? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=fender+telecaster Lot's of inventory here. Maybe broaden your CL search.

11. fathand

fathand TDPRI Member

I just calculated my build at $91 Canadian. Admittedly, the ash was rescued from a firewood pile and hardware from China.

Attached Files:

davegodby and anthony79 like this.
  12. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I think it must be a supply and demand issue. For longest time Teles didn’t seem very popular. I remember thinking “ am I the only person who plays a Tele?” Other th
    an a few country artists. Now Teles seem more prevalent. But generally over the decades Strats have been more popular and produced in greater quantities and still are. But, if Teles maintain their current popularity, then expect more to be made and be available so price could stabilize somewhat. However, a new variable is the diminished supply of swamp ash. Swamp ash is highly desired for transparent finish Teles. For looks and weight, many Tele fans want a lighter swamp ash body. In new production Fender Teles, to get that now you have to buy American and they start at around $2,000. Custom Sop starts at around $3,500! So, supply is now severely limited. Will Fender be able to figure out a solution? Who knows? Will northern ash be used more? It is definitely heavier, so maybe chambering will be used to reach an acceptable weight. Or maybe thinlines will become more popular. And is there a significant difference in tonal properties between swamp ash and northern ash? Not sure. All I know is the Tele thinline was originally designed as a way to decrease the weight of heavier ash that was increasingly being found to be what was available and that was 50 years ago!
    So, there may be an increase in Tele supply, but there will be a decrease in swamp ash Teles and those are the most desirable. Bottom line is the price of lighter weight swamp ash Teles should increase even if price on other Teles stabilizes or comes down.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  13. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

Wow. I've got an MIA ~2005 Highway One Telecaster that I've been thinking about selling for a long time, but I figured I couldn't get much for it, so haven't bothered. It's a damn nice basic Tele, but I've got two Thinlines I gravitate towards, so it never comes out of the bag. Guess I oughta put it out there ...
    -

14. BickertRules

BickertRules NEW MEMBER!

I think when I checked awhile back a Tele from 1960 or so originally cost over $2000 in today’s dollars. So we have it pretty good, I think.

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

They're made with planks and building wood prices has gone through the roof in the past 6 months. So no surprise here.

16. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet TDPRI Member

17. Clo-Motion

Clo-Motion TDPRI Member

18. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

most of those results aren’t even telecasters... pickups, speakers, Jaguars, strats, etc. In LA, the ones that were actually complete guitars, a huge chunk of listings are dealers, and many of the listings were for new guitars. There are probably 4x more strats than teles listed- easily enough to affect pricing.

19. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet TDPRI Member

This suggestion might help. Consider buying a G&L. The guitar is made kor

20. Clo-Motion

Clo-Motion TDPRI Member

Just go and play one of the new ones and perhaps a MIM or better yet a MIC TELE and you get your answer. Are you looking for something to upgrade? Or something ready to go. If it for upgrading and depending on how much new hardware you are considering using maybe a cheaper special edition Squire would be a cheaper place to start. The MIM OR MIC would probably require fewer items to replace. I would look at it both ways

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.