1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

Thanks! The frets are worn down a bit, but its pretty light (YES!) and sounds pretty good so far. I bought it from GC so I have some time to decide if its gonna stay or not.

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

That guitar isn't going anywhere, and YOU know it.:D

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  3. Jadepearl709

Jadepearl709 TDPRI Member

That's a pretty decent price if it were in CAD lol.

4. hamsterdam

hamsterdam NEW MEMBER!

i came to this site somewhat accidentally, as i was looking up info on my Diamond Anniversary Strat...which i am 70-80% sure is Hwy 1, but am unsure. i haven't been able to find a way to determine it from serial #, but hey...either way its a US Anniversary model, and plays .

i'm also here because an American Deluxe or Elite Tele is one of the last 3 guitars on my bucket list. As a Studio owner/Guitar Tech, i maintained a man's collection of over 240 guitars, acoustic and electric. Some were high value, others were ones he found interesting, and he had several "lower end" such as Mexican Strats that he had autographed by the Stones and other famous folk......all that to get to this:

He once left me, i want to say it was a 2013 American Deluxe Tele, for 9 or so months, just to see what i thought of it...and to this day, i have never had a guitar feel like it just belonged in my hands. It played like butter without me needing to do anymore than tune it. LOVE the compound radius neck, micro tilt neck, noiseless pups and the S1 switch! To get down to the tiniest of reasons...how about the gorgeous, silver looking Aluminium Logo under the lacquer on the headstock.....total class, total TELE! i have bought an American Deluxe J Bass, and the whole line, from Tele to Strat....from J Bass to P-Bass, the Am. Deluxe/Elite line is prime. Maybe not the thing for those who are more strictly traditional, and i get that...Still, i've never touched another guitar, let alone another Tele that was a match of that American Deluxe, my now late Friend allowed me to enjoy for over 9 months.

Sorry if i digressed, and for my lack of brevity,
    —hamsterdam

5. hamsterdam

hamsterdam NEW MEMBER!

The "Made in USA" on the headstock just never clued some in....

boris bubbanov and Texsunburst59 like this.
  6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because they're so good.

7. Talmir

Talmir Tele-Holic

I've been playing mine since 2007 (the one in the picture). I've changed out the neck pickup, put a push pull pot in there, changed out the saddles for brass recently. But the bridge pickup is great, the neck fits my hands perfectly and the finish feels good under my hands. Highly recommended :) I originally bought it as the choice was between a mim strat and the hw1. The hw1 is american made so seemed to me that it would hold its value better. I made the right choice and have no plans on selling it.

8. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You guys can debate and parse it down all you want, but here's a fact: On the Hwy 1 headstock, it says "made in the USA."

9. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

3F8982A8-392F-4A40-9661-99EF6006D2BB.jpeg

10. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Sorry I meant to add this to picture above. My 2007 Hwy one with a few mods.

11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Expensive compared to what ?

I purchased a NEW HWY 1 Strat in 04 at a guitar show, $450. Its killer, its now the only Strat I own. I did try to acquire a HWY 1 Tele at a guitar show a few years back, matching Honey Blonde color. It was $650 firm. I think it was the only USA Tele in the room under $700. It was a totally emotional consideration so I passed, I wanted it but really had no need. $650 a few years ago and the prices are about the same now, that's pretty good, more than reasonable. These are really fine guitars, we self relic them over time no matter how careful we are ! :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.