1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My 2008 Highway 1 Strat is the best Strat I have ever played. bought it thinking about re selling it, its a keeper.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  2. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

I just impulse bought this from the GC website:
    [​IMG]
    2005 Highway One Strat. $599. They have two more small headstock HW 1s that are transparent red...

joe_cpwe, hdvades, mcfm2n and 2 others like this.
  3. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Because they’re awesome!

coolidge likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You can go back through the archives at TDPRI and people (most people) are so careful to protect the record, that is, that Highways were always made in the USA.

And yet, some people think it is OK to claim they were made in Mexico. Anyone who does this, disrespects the rest of us and the hard work that goes into keeping something like TDPRI alive. If you come here looking to "do disinformation", you are going to be put in your place. So, just don't do it.

hamsterdam and Texsunburst59 like this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Is this a public service announcement or are you intending this for someone in particular?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. RichCuellarPDX

Well, from what Ive read, Highway Ones are made in Mexico and assembled/set up in the USA, so they're a joint effort actually. Thats why they were comparatively inexpensive. Anyone else have different info?

7. boris bubbanov

Show us the text. Give us the cite.

We'll demolish it, because this is clearly disinformation and has been repeatedly debunked. What is going on is, the tuning machines on the MIM Standard are the same as the Highway One, and there's common sourcing for caps, fasteners and pots and pickups. Stuff coming over from Asia in the same containers. The MIM Standard Strat used the PW29 block bridge and the Highway One used the PW36 block bridge - same Asian source. But Ensenada did NOT have facilities to even shoot lacquer until later on, when the Road Worn series was developed. How in the world was Ensenada supposed to have made these "furniture lacquer" guitars without any manufacturing capacity to do the task? C'mon, man. This is just bogus.

Texsunburst59 and coolidge like this.
  8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Boris people are purposely spreading "Fake News" on the Highway 1',s in an attempt to devalue them so they'll be cheaper on the used market.

ADK Teleman likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

Hmm. Possible.

But I think a lot of the upward pressure on the alder Highways is because of the internet dizzy I'm sure I played a part in, as pertains to the ash bodied Highway One Texas Teles.

So, anyway, Full Disclosure: I have 6 of these alder bodied Highway Ones. I have no intentions of selling them. I just take pride in getting the details right. I couldn't help but notice that the same name stamps appear in both Highways and in American Standards. You see the same name stamp enough times, and you imagine actually knowing these folks.

10. RichCuellarPDX

Ok then. Well I wrote Fender asking them definitively what the answer is, so Ill post the answer if I get one, then the "disinformation" campaign can officially be over.

11. boris bubbanov

Oh, it will never be over. I apologize for being grumpy. I should know by now, people just don't spend the time reading the Archives. heck, I don't read 'em like I used to myself.

RichCuellarPDX and Texsunburst59 like this.
  12. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

I remember some people swearing about the HW1 Tele bridge. It's heavier, so supposedly it should contribute to a better sustain.

13. RichCuellarPDX

Heavier than the succeeding Specials?

14. RichCuellarPDX

No worries. Ive read dozens of pages of info on the interwebs about HW 1s and theres a lot of conflicting info. Im hoping Fender will answer it definitively. I love 'em no matter where they were made.

15. boris bubbanov

Those bridge plates are .060 thick and from an import source. As opposed to the .048-.050 seen on so many other models.

It is probably true that you can cinch them down a little harder, onto a body that's not true, without distorting them and thus causing that squeal we've all seen somewhere, or experienced ourselves.

But the small diameter "chrome over pot metal" saddles don't IMO do a good job and to some degree, prevent strings from really ringing out.

Having said that, I like a guitar with a crisp attack, and frankly free-wheeling sustain is not my friend - that's my enemy. I have more trouble, the way I play, with notes hanging around after they're no longer wanted. In a way, to me a guitar is a Percussion instrument. If I wanna play a horn, or winds, I could do that. So I think "sustain" is over-rated.

hamsterdam and RichCuellarPDX like this.
  16. RichCuellarPDX

Just got this response from Fender:

"Hey Rich,

Great to hear from you. I went ahead and dug into the Highway 1 series and pulled up the original build of materials and cross referenced their countries of origin, just to give you the most accurate answer possible, and settle your forum feud once and for all.

All of the components are USA made (necks, bodies, pickguard assemblies), the only exceptions are the pickups, which are made in Mexico and the hardware (bridge and tuners) which are import from Asia.

The guitars are built in the USA and have USA serial numbers. The Highway 1 went on to become the American Special.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Brett Arney

Consumer Relations Manager|Fender Musical Instruments
    Corporation"

This makes me very happy, especially since I just brought a new HW 1 Strat home today:)

17. boris bubbanov

Congrats on your new USA Strat, Rich!

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  18. RichCuellarPDX

Thanks! Its a great guitar.

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Congrats Rich.

That's a real beauty.

Enjoy!!!!

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.