Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Wow! Enjoyed reading that my 2003 Hwy 1 tele is probably worth about twice what I paid for it. Got it used in about 2006 in like new condition. Mine is all stock with the exception of
    the bass compensated bridge I added but I still got the original stock steel bridge in the case. Platefire
    Hwy1 full with SS #2.jpg

stevovp24 likes this.
  2. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

They are beautiful guitars and I bought two in the last 7 months. The finish is what I love and those monster frets!
    The crimson is from 2005 and the black from 2007.
    I'm after a crimson Strat now with maple board and also a teal or blue with rosewood board.
    20190630_203252-1.jpg

joe_cpwe likes this.
  3. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I took my Highway One strat to Guitar Center to replace the pickups. The stock pickups were fine, but shortly after buying it in 2002, I installed a humbucker in the bridge that I never did like. It took me until last year to finally replace the pups (I had lost the original single coil bridge years ago).
    When the repair dude was filling out the paperwork, he put the value at $800. I asked why and he said that's what they were going for. They're great American guitars. The necks are the exact same ones they put on the American series at the time, which are incredible.

I bought the guitar for $500 at Mars Music when they were going out of business. It was the only one they had left that wasn't beaten and scratched to hell and back.

4. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

The price was around $600.

5. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

My Ash highway one Texas #1 at 7 lbs 15 oz she's getting a set of Dimarzio Area Hot T and Area T pups today.

[​IMG]

My Ash highway one Texas #2 at 6 lbs 12 ozs tore down for new pups, bridge plate, locking tuners, and compensated saddles going in today. I'm going with the Duncan quarter pound set in this one.

[​IMG]

Mincer, Steve_U1S and Sean Mac like this.
  6. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Great looking Tele Coolidge. Very nice wood grain. I love the shape, size and simplicity of the neck. The Texas Tele really was a nice affordable American made telecaster. I have a blonde and I am always on the look-out for another...but I have yet to see another for sale.

coolidge likes this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

At a recent B3 Guitar show the few I saw, in nice shape, were selling in the $650 +/- range. I was ready to buy one at 6, but the dealer was literally glued to $650. I didn't buy it as it was an impulse purchase anyway. It was Honey Blonde / maple neck and matched my 2004 HWY1 Strat, which I bought new for $450. This happens to be the only Strat I own these days. Fine guitar, fine player. I actually don't need a matching HWY 1 Tele.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

The Texas Highway One's are a bit rare. I watched Reverb for 6 months and nothing. Just the 2-3 damaged, over modified guitars that still haven't sold. Then bam and bam I snagged two of them in one month. But I was literally checking Reverb every few hours. The first only lasted 3 hours the second 6. So maybe its just they get scarfed up quick I don't know.

Steve_U1S likes this.
  9. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I hope they are better than the Highway One Strat I owned briefly. The worst playing guitar I ever owned.

10. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Post pics of your blond Texas or...its a Squire parts caster :p

11. meric

meric Tele-Holic

upload_2019-7-3_13-39-13.jpeg

Ivorytooth likes this.
  12. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Meric that's really nice grain on that Ash body. Looks like a single slab of Ash vs 2-3 pieces glued together. I call dibs if you ever sell it. How do you like it? Do you play it often?

13. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Thanks. It is my go to guitar. I am sure that is a two or three piece body but even from the back I cant see the seams. I love the guitar. I have five other guitars but I almost always grab my Blonde Texan.

coolidge likes this.
  14. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

That Blonde is stellar!! Probably the best one I have seen.

coolidge likes this.
  15. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Since you mentioned it, looks like 3 to me-but that grain in the front!

Sorry-wrong thread-I thought you had shown pictures of the back

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.