1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Cuz people are willing to pay the price

nicod98 likes this.
  2. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I greatly regret selling the Texas Hwy 1 Tele I had. Might have been the best Telecaster I ever had, or right up there...including a boutique and a Custom Shop model. Really nice guitars.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Great, now I’ll be going over mine with a microscope to figure out if it’s two or three piece... Looking for end grain or print-through on a seam, or taking it apart to look in cavities.

It’s a nice body; about four pounds and it was matte to begin with (it hadn't been played much when I got it late 2013). I put some miles on it and now it’s shined up everywhere it gets touched.

The blonde nitro is very thin on top of a lot of clear undercoat. Mine is worn through to clear in the normal spots.

4. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Kinda how I got my '09 brand new in 2012! Had been hanging in a music store in LA and hadn't sold, so it got put up on Ebay advertised as a regular HWY1. When I saw the pics I immediately placed my max bid so it would be mine!

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Has the AmSpec got the Greasebucket?

Dropped that from my Hwy1 when I changed the pickups.

6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Yes, it does have the Greasebucket circuit.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The pickups did change to real Custom Shop Texas Specials at one point in the American Special. But American Specials are not available cheap used, from what I have seen the American Special has the best resale of any Fender.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

That's how I got mine new in 2005, didn't have a tag, salesman thought it was a regular Highway, I didn't know Fender's models, all I knew was within a minute of picking it up I wanted it.
    Funny thing is I was looking for a Strat, went to 2 GCs, 2 Sam Ashes, and a couple of well stocked local shops. I couldn't find a Strat I really liked. Coming from a Gibson I guess the Texas 12" radius just felt right.

9. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

"I'm thinking, the craftiest way to get a deal on a Highway One is to shop all of them and find an ash body/Texas Tele that's been misidentified as a regular one - or to find a seller who doesn't understand that the Texas Tele deserves"

It's so funny you should say that, that's how I found my second Texas, a guy was advertising it on CL in Brooklyn for $600 "firm" when I looked at the pictures, I saw the 5 hole pg and spaghetti logo and contacted him, he didn't know it was a Texas, I tried to get him to lower the price but he wouldn't budge but I was still happy to get it for $600. It's in mint condition.

emisilly and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I still remember when the AmSp first came out and it ran alongside the Hwy1 for a couple years. They were simply a gloss poly finish version of the Hwy1.

I think the AmSp series now enjoys a bit of markup due to being associated with the AmStd/Pro line. I see a lot of used ads for them where sellers don't realize there's a difference between the two and the ad says "American Fender" and they're asking used prices for the Standard or Pro series.

People also forget that when the Hwy1 series came around there was no American made line below the AmStd. So of course the internet decided they were probably mostly Mexican guitars and used prices were cheap. All they needed was a slight spec tweak and a name change and now the "Special" is highly regarded.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Half of mine have Allparts TMO-FAT necks, half have necks from Tommy Rosamond, and yeah, one has OVs as well. Gotta keep the parts in case the original guitar goes sky high. I would think our re-assembled guitars with virtually new necks will be worth extra. Sell the guitar with the better pickups installed, and hand them the original pups in a bag. Keep the aftermarket neck and keep using it! :^)

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got one 2006 Highway Strat; that's 3 pieces. I've got 2 Highway One Teles from 2006, one 2007, one 2008 and one from 2009. They all have 3, sometimes 4 pieces. I've seen 2 piecers in about every year (usually sunbursts, the opaque finish ones can have more pieces) but they're few by proportion and they were quite often offset 2 piece.

Based on what I know, FMIC had no reason to do only 2 piecers in 2007, nor IMO did they have the means. This wood comes along, ends up joined out to various widths and you gotta lay up blanks and waste as little wood as possible. Knowing that Corona saw the Highway One as a stepchild model, by 2007, I cannot see how or why they'd have a cache of prettier than usual bodies - if they had such a cache, why use it on a model they were blowing out at MF and GC? Why not put the premium body blank in a premium model?

Some of the old timers here may remember a real pretty image I had posted (via photobucket) of my sunburst '07 with the Allparts neck - I think the 3 pieces were evident.

Having said that, it does seem evident that ash bodies in the Highway One Texas Tele pretty consistently run lighter, on average than the bodies used on other, ash bodied Fender Telecasters, such as American Deluxes.

Oh, and the "tone" of a 2 piece body versus a three piece? I'm not on that team, sorry! :^)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    RichCuellarPDX and swany like this.
  13. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

That’s my strategy - I thought about parting out the Highway One neck because it would finance the better portion of another partscaster. But I decided that keeping the guitar “together” might be better long term, if values continue to rise.

The Allparts V was my foray into the 7.25” radius and vintage frets world. I’ve got Fats on my two partscasters.

BTW, I did check and my 2007 blonde is 3-piece body.

14. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

Not sure where you are located but there is one for sale on the Philly Gear swap page w/ case for $550.

So they're out there to be found

15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Maybe. All I know is my black Hwy 1 strat body exudes 2-piece-body tonal goodness.

;) :lol:

16. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I love my RW neck....see pic in avatar

kookaburra likes this.
  17. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I think with the US economy as it stands, prices on used guitars are a good $100-$200 more than 5 years ago. You can add in that everyone just got a tax break and my personal thought is people are keeping prices high with tax refunds right around the corner.

In 2013, American standard teles we're consistently around $650 on eBay. Martin D15s were around $600. Now they both on average $200 more. Deals can still be had, but you've got to be much more patient now.

18. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I didn’t get a tax break.

19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I think it has more to do with the price of new guitars. I know in 2012 an American Standard was $999 , IIRC it held that price throu most of 2013, maybe into 2014. I don't remember when Martin raised the price on D15s but my brother bought one for $600 new.

20. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

Like stated earlier, Highway One Telecaster were made here not Ensenada. I'm glad they are going up in value. I got a midnight wine one. The MIM Tele I would love to get is a blond Nashville Tele. I'm from the school of appreciation for the original MIM electrics. I had a real bad MIM classic series 50s Strat. It looked pretty but, when I go it home it turned out to be a lemon. A good friend of mine has a MIM Strat which is very nice. It was one of the first Mexican ones from the early 90s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.