Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Solid state pieces in a tube amp are definitely not always bad. For example, I often prefer a solid state rectifier over a tube rectifier if there's too much "sag" from the tube
    rectifier. I like a more immediate response to my attack . I've used tube amps with tube rectifiers that aren't too squishy, but if it is too squishy then I'll
    take a solid state rectifier, thank you.

Greg_L likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

This & my heavily modded DSL is what gets the modern tones done.. SLX.jpg

3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

One of the problems, in my opinion, with the modeler craze is the versatility. It's a crutch and problem. Seems like a good idea until the user can never just f--king settle on something. That's not technically the product's fault, but it enables and promotes paralysis. No one really needs that much damn versatility.

EspyHop likes this.
  4. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

one of my favorites!

5. bftfender

but this is old school fun..poor tweed deluxe..just has no chance..jtm45-jtm50 black flag spec'd-jmp50 1987-2204 now 427stack (3).jpg

SolidSteak and Alter like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a problem (option overload) for many, many people. The reason why there are so many options in the digital units is because it's much more sensible to create one unit that can cover the needs of many people instead of multiple units that each caters to a much narrower demographic. I've had my Kemper for five years and there is still stuff in it that I haven't really messed with. Hell, I haven't really twisted any knobs on it in a long, long time. I have a few banks set up with my favorite "go to" sounds, and I basically just fire it up and go.

Owenmoney and Greg_L like this.
  7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That's good, and I know that you are unfortunately in the minority.

I know a guy that's had a Kemper for about three years and he has yet to get a great sound out of it because he's constantly ****ing with it.

8. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Seems to me that most of those that favor tube amps talk a lot about OD, breakup, edge of breakup, etc. Those are the last things this old guy wants to hear from an amp (or on recorded music).

For me all I want is really clean tones at low volume. I can get that just fine from SS amps. I see no advantages to a tube amp for that. So I guess the type of sound you are looking for must play a big part in one's preference.

Owenmoney likes this.
  9. bftfender

i think for live with tube playing..its is key.. get clean on 5ish--break on 7 & dime for leads..it makes playing live so simple with basic sounds..all controlled off your guitar vol & tone knobs..sweet spot on amp matched with break on 7 on guitar..those 3 basic things dialed in allows to to focus on playing & having fun. just switch guitars for dif ways to hit the amp..makes for a consistent sound from practice to stage...i dont know if i have touched my knobs on amps for 6 months...just back treble chan vol back for strat & normal up a hair from Gibson settings

10. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

This thread made me want to A/B my pair of PV redstripe envoys against my silverface pro all day long. So I got home and that's exactly what I did. The first few minutes I played the same thing through each, paying attention to things like sag, and attack, and saturation, guitar volume knob behaviour and the like. Then I accidentally stumbled upon a chord progression from an old song of mine and forgot all about this thread for about an hour. That was nice.

I really like my Envoys with the clean channel dimed. But although they were advertised as emulating a tube amp, they just don't. My Pro is simply better at everything but portability.

Owenmoney, SolidSteak and bftfender like this.
  11. bftfender

you want clean & headroom.? if i was a picker..this all day long..then how ever much gain ya want..it doesnt have to be metal..its a crazy good amp for regular stuff 5150rig.jpg

12. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

You know when I started this thread it was just an honest question. I never expected this many responses.

13. bftfender

passion man..your amp is the control station ...from your guitar to your speakers...

Marquee Moon and Mexitele Blues like this.
  14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm usually on board with most of your posts I've seen, but I totally disagree with this one. Those EVH amps suck for headroom. They're all mashed up compressed gain all the time.

JD0x0 likes this.
  15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I saw a post farther back claiming the amp is part of the instrument, and that post is spot on.

Owenmoney and bftfender like this.
  16. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

What are some bands do that you like that use solid state amps?

17. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Oh man. I haven't dug that deep into the bands I like and their sound or tone and the gear they use. I would venture to say that most of what I like ( classic style hard rock and metal) it was probably tube amps obviously. I guess when i posed my initial question it was based on my basement playing. Not being someone who gigs but is serious about my personal playing and my sound/tone I can get some pretty dark drippy tone from a solid state for my purposes.

18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Well, Television used MusicMan Amps, which have a solid state preamp, and usually a solid state phase inverter too.

All Metallica’s clean sounds are Roland JC-120s.

Johnny Winters also played MusicMans, specifically HD-130 410s

Arcade Fire uses MusicMan HD-130 210s

Robert Smith uses a Roland JC-160.

Look onstage at The Last Waltz - MusicMans.

So there are quite a few.

19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't know about all those other guys, but Television used Fender amps. I've seen about a hundred pics of them at CBGBs with Fender combos behind them. Maybe an occasional Vox.

Not saying they never used Music Man, but it's been Fender as far as I've seen.

20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

You sure? I'm 99% sure Kirk Hammett has a Dumble Steel String Singer, I have to assume he's recorded with it on at least one occasion..

jondanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.