Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It seems odd to me to worry about what's inside the box when the only real experience we have with the box is what comes out of it. If it sounds good it is good if it doesn't then it's not.

stratoman1, TelePunkJCM and Frodebro like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No hate for GVF from me, but I had my go-round with Zeppelin clones 30 years ago with Kingdom Come. Both bands made their first big splash riding on novelty and nostalgia. Kingdom Come lasted what-two or three albums before they vanished without a trace? GVF will follow the same fate unless they can find their own thing and get it out there while people are still paying attention to them.

Greg_L likes this.
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

"Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer...
    There's something about that statement that is akin to the pot calling the kettle black... not sayin, just saying...

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Based on what I've seen and read in guitar forums, if nobody discovered that those 800's had clipping diodes, nobody would have complained about them. Just a hunch. There is a member of this forum who loved his Vox AC10C1... until he discovered that there was a MOSFET in the preamp, then he hated it and was angry.

jimash, TelePunkJCM and aging_rocker like this.
  5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I didn't mean to imply that you hate them. They were brought up and it's just a general observation.

It seems like they hit overnight, everyone was all "f--k yeah!" and then everyone turned on them. Very weird.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That hunch is wrong because the Jubilee has SS clipping and everyone knows it and that amp is revered among most Marshall enthusiasts.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. Frodebro

There are fanatics in both camps, but they obviously don't represent everybody. Personally, I'm a tone fanatic-if it sounds good, it IS good. Tubes, transistors, digital, turret board, PCB, whatever. I don't care about any of that as long as it gets me where I want to be.

Owenmoney and aging_rocker like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

I think you need to run that through their rackmount power amp (or a similar tube power amp) if you're not already. I had a Mesa/Boogie Studio 22 combo and it sounded awesome. I later bought the Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp, and it sounded.... okay. It was of course lacking the power section of the combo, and my guess is that's where some of the magic came from.

9. Frodebro

The same thing happened to Kingdom Come. The novelty wore off after about a year and they were history.

Greg_L likes this.
  10. Frodebro

I've got the 5881 9100 with it. It's basically a hair metal machine.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

Notable that the only people who complain about those later JCM800 amps are people in guitar forums, the same people who obsess over NOS tubes, tonewood, etc. The famous musicians actually using those amps didn't have a lot of negative things to say about them - they were too busy getting great tone and making great music.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

That's the one I was thinking of. I forgot what it was called. Sure looks cool though!

13. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Having used both I've found my tube and analog gear so much easier to use live. What sounds great in your practice room never sounds right at the gig and then your fiddling with menus and such. I'm back to my tube amp and pedals -- so much easier to dial everything in to sound good at the gig.

jimash and Greg_L like this.
  14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

The only "famous" users of those amps that I'm aware of are also pedal jockeys, so at that point it doesn't much matter anymore.

But just so you know, I'm not a hater of those amps.

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

SLX 2100 el 34 can run without the diodes..best 800 ever..marshall answered the modded craze that was going on with it..great amp..not just metal

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Right? I agree.

17. Frodebro

Yeah, it looks cooler than hell. But it also weighs about 65lbs (just the power amp).

18. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I'm sure many are trying, but people who pretend contemporary music is as good are not helping.

beyer160 and Greg_L like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a problem with building a dirt pedal inside an amp if it sounds good. But my 4210 had that "blanket" muffled thing going. Once I had an amp tech work on it,
    including taking the clipping diodes out of the circuit, it opened right up and still had more than enough distortion for my tastes. I don't know what they did with the Jubilee, but
    if there is a button or switch to put the clipping diodes into or out of the signal chain that would make more sense to me. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, or maybe you prefer
    the sound of an external dirt pedal, then don't use it. But why have it on all the time when it is easy enough to make a switch for it?

I also agree with bluebirdrad's post above. Menu diving while on stage is not my thing at all. Like I said, if I had a sound guy to take care of it that would be one thing. If it's me, I need
    a few simple knobs or I'm going to be stressed out.

beyer160 likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Marquee Moon...good album. :)

kookaburra and Marquee Moon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.