Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

It's all psychological. And physiological. I'm glad this group understands that because other forums are slaves to marketing and marketing terms.

If any of us played in rock bands in our youth, we all have varying degrees of hearing damage, anyway. What might sound bright and sparkly to a 17-year-old might not sound so harsh to my weathered ears--after years of loud rock and riding motorcycles.

Besides, every other component affects sound so much, how can anyone say "this amp sounds like this." Change the speaker, and you have a different sound. Mic the amp at a venue with a cheap PA system--different sound. Change some pedals in your board, different sound.

I'm glad everyone is moving past the marketing trick of pouring $2 wine into a $200 bottle and convincing us we have a fine wine.

Switching back to a Fender valve amp this year didn't make me a better player, either. Although I REALLY wish it did.

Owenmoney likes this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, another reason why the Kemper is gaining in popularity with touring acts: Most people use their favorite gear in the studio to get their “magic” sound happening. It is very common for them to profile that entire signal chain while everything is set up and dialed in to perfection (including those high dollar, Uber expensive studio microphones.

Now they have the exact sounds from their album on a thumb drive. Live, just load that thumb drive into any Kemper, run a direct line to FOH, and you have the exact sound you had on the album night after night, without having to worry about your rare and/or expensive gear.

Also, the Kemper comes into play if something has to be re-tracked. Rather than spend the time and money to try to replicate the sound dialed in a month ago in the studio, the profile is already right there to plug & play.

This stuff is all just tools aimed at getting to the end result as consistently and efficiently as possible.

Modman68 and Owenmoney like this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Lost in this discussion are amps like the JCM 800, regarded as one of Marshall's best, many of which had solid state clipping LEDs in the preamp, and nobody complained about that.

Modman68 likes this.
  4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Hey it’s cool, use what you like, I’m not really taking sides o what’s better, my stance is use what you like, my only contention is why do they have to advertise them as sounding just like tubes ! They sound like whatever they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

This is a debate I don’t care to enter. I’d probably use modeling gear but got great deals on tube amps and know a great tech. Makes it very cheap for me to go all tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

It’s just incredible that an argument like this could go on for 19 going on 20 pages. When it comes to individual preferences, whether it’s amps or guitars, or pizza, why not just let people like what they like and leave them alone? Everybody doesn’t wear a size 9 shoe.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I get everything you just said except today’s music seems almost totally disposable, sure there’s always some good stuff, but today’s one hit wonders far outweigh the music from when we were younger.

8. Frodebro

Another goofy thing about this thread is the massive generalization of the term “tube amp,” as if they were all on an equal plane. A Mesa Triple Rectifier is a tube amp, so is a Princeton. The two are not interchangeable.

9. Frodebro

I feel the same way about today’s music, but to keep this honest my parents thought MY music was disposable junk. And my grandparents thought The Beatles were long-haired hooligans.

It’s an endless cycle.

10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes they do. All the time. Those 2205/2210 JCM 800s are the generally the least desirable of the 800 lineup. I think they sound pretty good, but not like....

The 2203/2204 JCM 800s are what people usually talk about when they talk about the 800s greatness. No SS clipping. Just pure greatness.

SheldonP and drewcp like this.
  11. Frodebro

My Jmp-1 preamp has the clipping diodes as well. For clean sounds and high gain stuff it sounds great, but it is incapable of producing that beautiful Marshall crunch that I adore so much.

Owenmoney likes this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I agree but for me, I try to like today’s music unlike my parents who just flat out detested the RnR and RnB stuff.

13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

The 800s that are considered the best, the early models, do not have the diodes. Get on a thread about 800s, and you will hear complaints about the later models.

Still, you have a good point. The later 800s and some of the 900s are liked, and they all use the clipping diodes, as do some other tube amps.

beyer160 likes this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Funny you mention Pete Anderson... I know some guys who recorded an album with him and his Pods back in the '90s. On their next record and thereafter they were back to playing tube amps.

So... those are the only reasons people might not like emulators? You're taking it for granted that no one can tell the difference in tone, huh?

15. Frodebro

Credit where due, when I was in the Boy Scouts my dad always let us listen to cassettes of our music when we were on our way to camp outs and such. Come to think of it, I just spent the weekend with my parents at the campground where they keep their trailer. My mom drove down two days ahead of us, and my dad rode down with me (about a 90 mile drive or so). We listened to Chicago’s first three albums during the drive. This is “his” music, but it was already in my phone because I love it as well.

Sometimes the lines between generations blur.

Owenmoney likes this.
  16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

BIG time. The only 800s worth a crap are the early vertical input models.

Not by me. Once they started going away from the 5f6 schematic, Marshall started losing their way.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Cool story, bro.

1_-ERDFeo4NLXhoPLu9PyyZw.jpg

Marquee Moon likes this.
  18. Frodebro

Of course those aren’t the only reasons, they were just quick examples off of the top of my head (and it’s not lost on me that you use the term “emulator,” which hasn’t been used in almost 25 years).

Okay, I’m going to fight dirty and use more pure facts here, with no emotional bias present whatsoever. Most manufacturers spec components with pretty wide tolerances (+/- 20%). This means that no two identical tube amps are going to sound “exactly” the same. Add to that 40-50 years of component values drifting as the parts age, and the effect is magnified. So a model or profile of a JTM-45 might nail the tone of the specific amp that was used to create that model or profile, but it might sound different from five other JTM-45s, which won’t sound exactly like each other, either.

19. Frodebro

I have the entire Zeppelin catalog and know every song inside and out. Greta Von Fleet is not in my collection. Is there a point to this?

joebloggs13 likes this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

who says argument..discussing what one prefers is not an argument...like the marriage thread..or zep thread..if anything it shows the inability for people to respect others..why cower to the mass opinion...ever,,be ya own player..only can be an argument if one lets it..i enjoy when people stand up for their beliefs even if i dont share em..i aint gonna ever be swayed..never be political correct...cave to the mindless sheep(someone on here coined that, was great)plenty of space in the world for every one

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.