Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

There was a post a few pages back lauding the simple interface of a basic tube amp. That's one thing I like about it, too.
    If I were a pro player and had a sound man and guitar guy, and they set up my rig and made it sound wonderful through a Kemper
    or whatever, I would be fine with that. But since I have to set up, maintain, and tear down my own rig I prefer to keep things really simple.
    Guitar, tiny pedal board with about 4 pedals on it, amp with just one channel in use. A Kemper would not make sense for me because I wouldn't
    need its features at all, and it would therefore be unnecessarily expensive and complex. A three-channel Boogie also doesn't make sense for me.

I once had a pretty simple 2x12 Crate combo amp that was SS. It didn't sound nearly as good as my tube amps do, but it was good enough for
    gigging. At the time I was in a reggae band and I mainly needed a decent clean sound, which it delivered. It wasn't that much lighter than a tube amp,
    but it was certainly cheaper and required zero maintenance.

If I had zero amps in my possession today there's a good chance I would try a DV Mark head. So lightweight and compact! But since I already have
    amps I haven't felt the need to go there yet.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

2 words.…...epileptic seizure.

I blame the Peavey Vypyr for the downfall of solid state amps. Watch at your own risk......

:cool:

I'm kidding......but the Vypyr reminds me of turning on a video game.

I have three really old Peavey Backstage Plus amps (childhood friend) and three Vox Pathfinder 15R's and I've had an Orange Crush 35. All great amps.

3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Like you, I mostly question the motives of people. I don't question the technology. I question why people line up the way they do. And that could go for anything, but in this case it's once again tube vs modeler, or whatever. I lament and resent the slow death of the big amp because big amps are cool. I think so anyway. I despise the, in my opinion, weak and defeatist trend of everything getting smaller and easier. Nothing requires skill anymore. Nothing requires any paying of any dues. I'm getting off track here...I'd rather just see and hear people rocking the **** out with real big real loud amps instead of trying to save their fragile backs or not piss off the dumb sound guy. When did rock and roll become so safe?

beyer160, Durtdog and Owenmoney like this.
  4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know for sure, but when you start out playing on solid state it becomes your reference point for all comparisons, whereas those of us who started on tubes have a different reference point. So if what’s normal for you is solid state, enjoy you solid state amp for what it is, a device to make your electric guitar louder. Same for us tube guys tube amps make a guitar louder. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS IVE NEVER SEEN AN AD SAY THIS TUBE AMP SOUNDS JUST LIKE THIS SOLID STATE AMP.
    As long as solid state tries to tell you it sounds JUST LIKE A TUBE AMP, there’s gonna be a bunch of us calling BS !

When solid state amps like Roland JC120, Polytone, Acoustic and Randall keep standing on their own merits that’s cool. But when you keep shilling for the SOUNDS JUST LIKE A TUBE AMP crowd, you’ll have diversity and animosity. Some solid state stuff is really good, but it is what it is,not what it isn’t !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rowdyman and David Barnett like this.
  5. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

I'm not sure I actually understand your post. But I suspect the simple explanation for the bold bit is that tube amps came first. I don't draw any larger conclusion from it.

I also defy you to go to a show where a guitar player has a JC-77 and a tube Marshall and pick out when the player is playing which, by sound. Or you could go to our 6 records and try to figure out listening, which I content is not possible.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

27459402_2042481852697161_2567093744728348649_n.jpg

Rowdyman, ponce, beyer160 and 2 others like this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Heard a nice sounding amp some guy was playing in store the other day. Turned out to be an Orange combo from the SS Crush series.

But I am surprised at that this lazy, troll thread 101 thing has gone on for this long.

19 pages is whole lotta 'I'm a let you finish, but...'

tfarny and TelePunkJCM like this.
  8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

When it stopped being about rock n roll and started being about how many drinks you can sell...

People have a good time...

I may be biased though... I play through 72" of speaker at home.

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

That’s is because that’s what solid state is ! It’s clean is cleaner than clean, which is exactly why tube people prefer tubes.

10. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

False. And redonkulous.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All these sons of guns promised us, when we started out in the mid 1960s, that if we used Solid State we'd have zero maintenance issues and our amps would have an infinite service life.

In fact, we spent more money on repairs of Solid States than anyone with a Tube amp that I knew -even knew just barely.

There is basically nothing you can say to resolve my disgust with Solid State amps. Their blow-ups cost us crucial jobs, at a time of tension when the band needed for things to be going smoothly. At least with the Tube Amps, what we were told was the truth. I'm kinda big on the truth right now.

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

The capitals were because in advertising tube amps never try to tell you they sound just like solid state. That’s all.
    If you like something that’s great, use it. That’s cool I don’t care. I don’t have anything against solid state. If I was a touring musician I would probably have a Kemper.

However, if I was going on a dating site, I wouldn’t want the site to tell me SHES JUST LIKE A REAL WOMAN , no I’d want a real woman. Well, maybe not, if the fake woman never complained and just did whatever necessary to satisfy me...... nah, I’d still want the real woman !

beyer160 likes this.
  13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

It’s not false, we’ve all heard that a clean sounding solid state tone can and usually is exceptionally clean. Yeah they can get dirty, no kidding ,but solid state clean is really clean ! The Roland JC 120 comes to mind.
    My reply never had anything to do with any other aspect of solid state sound. I’m trying to say why people prefer what they prefer. If you or anybody else likes their sound, have at it. I use garage band on my iPad and I think it sounds pretty good for what it is, but it doesn’t sound like tubes. I’ve had a Peavey and MusicMan RD 100 both with solid state preamps, the MusicMan was way better than the Peavey. Not more tubey, just an all around better amp.
    I wouldn’t mind having a Kemper, but I don’t need one.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

With tube amps, if it blows up it’s usually a tube, with solid state if it blows up, it’s usually toast ! I know from my MusicMan RD 112. It was great until it wasn’t, once the IC went, it became just a speaker cabinet ?

Rowdyman and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my studio guy loves my gear. You are right, a lot of bands is pre manu digital crap he has to fix with midi. By the time he is done, he is the band basically. Tomorrow i am taking a 425a with g12c & 1960bx w g12m, there will be a rhythm amp & guitar & a dif amp & guitar for leads..its all been worked on at home..its all ready layered...3 mic's will be on those cabs..my scratch track will be in his pro tools..ready to go....3 mic's will be used on dif axis..it matters..if you are layered & already mixed going in..even the right bass for the mix..the mix is not clogged & not as much magic needs to be performed by a non band member...speakers are huge & often neglected..couldn't imagine not having, g12m.g12c,v30,vintage 30 , 3 types gt75,creamback,cl80,g12h

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This may be the tiredest argument on the entire internet.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The whole “sounds just like a tube amp” thing was a necessary marketing approach to pique people’s interest after 40 years of crappy solid state amps. Not to mention that not only are we emotionally bonded with the old gear, we’re also equally bonded to the music of our youth, which was created using the gear of the time.

The emotion behind “Only tube amps can sound good” comes from the same part of our brains that tell us that today’s music is nowhere near as good as the music that we listened to when we were young.

Modman68 and TelePunkJCM like this.
  18. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Not THIS person... though I do like them sometimes.

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

bftfender, my experience is similar. I've gone into studio with a couple of excellent tube amps and we put them in an isolation booth and mike them up and the engineer is stoked and smiling.
    He knows that my sound isn't going to need much tweaking at all. A little enhancement, perhaps, but it is easier to make something already pretty look beautiful than to put lipstick on a pig....

Owenmoney and bftfender like this.
  20. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I am a proud Roland Blues Cube Artist owner, and while I can certainly extol the virtues of this amp...I also own a Reeves Custom 50. The two are vastly different. The Blues Cube Artist will never be able to come close to what the Reeves can do. Granted, one is a high end production line solid state amp, while the other is a custom build tube amp. I would still put my BC up against any production line Fender of similar style.

Owenmoney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.