Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We once played an outdoor festival gig with a supplied back line of those Epiphone tube Amps from 15 or 20 years ago.

Horrible .

The whole time I kept saying to myself, “I wish I had my Cube 60, I wish I had my Cube 60...”

2. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

One thing to think about here is that musical instruments often hold value over time. Tech good usually lose value over time.

A modeling amplifier is a piece of computer hardware that's designed to emulate a tube amplifier.

There are scenarios when both things are useful, but if I were picking one thing to own, I'd choose an actual tube amplifier.

I look at it like this: electric guitar playing has always been a rather low-tech. Tech has become profitable in the early 21st century that businesses began to investigate ways to make their industry into a "tech industry." Musical instruments were no exception.

A good businessman can convince an eager customer of almost anything. In this case, they've collectively made a powerful case that a computer capable of imitating 20 amps is more useful than one actual amp.

I may be old-school, but I am relatively unconvinced that this is so. Not just because of the sound (which I admit is getting better all the time, at least on the high end Kemper stuff)--but even more so because of the we interact with instruments as musicians. Basically, I enjoy the experience of firing up a tube amp, plugging into it, having it influence the process in some immediate way, responding to that influence, etc. It feels more like guitar playing to me.

6String69 likes this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I love the smell of hot tubes in the morning.

Fiesta Red and 6String69 like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Marriage seems to not be very popular these days yet a discussion got almost twice the responses of this thread in 1/5 the time.

Conclusion?

Talk is cheaper than tubes or diamonds.

Owenmoney likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It does seem like a lot of the marriage discussion seemed to show a preference for newer model(er)s than vintage.

Owenmoney likes this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Yep, about 1am, after a hot gig, tip bucket full, finishing the last beer, maybe a snack from the kitchen, load up, and head home to a good nights sleep.

7. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Some like tube amps.

Some like SS.

Some like modeling amps.

Who the flower cares what technology someone else likes?

Owenmoney and Frodebro like this.
  8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Valves mate, that's what you need. Valves.

Some solid state amps even have valves. They not only sound better, the red ones go faster.

9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Tubes are much warmer & give you that gain compression you can't get with SS. All my amps have glowing bottles, except 1 that I use for pedal steel in large venues. Sounds like crap for guitar. Modeling amps are basically toys for kids with Squiers. Amps are like old 35mm cameras...the more pro, the less bells & whistles it has.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you knew how many touring pros (from all genres) have made the switch to digital rigs your head would explode.

Steve 78 likes this.
  11. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm a tube guy but I acknowledge modeling is as in the ballpark as good, and getting better all the time. If they're not better already they will be soon and of course infinitely more versatile.

The reason I'm a tube guy is basically the user interface.
    I had a modeling amp and operating it engaged my analytical brain. I can have fun in my analytical brain, but when I'm playing guitar I do better with "turn up the knob on the left until it gets a a hint of that angry bite," than "I need 11% more ghosting and 5% more asymmetric clipping in the preamp model."

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Man I keep hearing this, but maybe I keep missing them. I go to several shows and very large festivals every single year. I have yet to see one band in the styles of music that I like use fake amps.

Rowdyman likes this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Same here. Of course, I never see anyone playing pointy guitars tuned to C either, maybe there's a correlation?

Rowdyman, sonicsmitty and Hatfield92 like this.
  14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's not. Digital rigs are found in Praise & Worship, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, and Metal. Not everybody is using them, of course, but not everybody is using the same make and model of tube amp, either.

15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That seems to be it. You gotta be a certain "style" to use 1s and 0s for an amp.

16. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Complete and utter hogwash. Maybe I understand @Cheap guitar guy’s premise better now.

Or maybe Mark Knopfler plays pointy guitars tuned to C now. That’s just one example. But a particularly “rootsy” and traditional one.

And for for context my two live amps are tube amps.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

Back in the 60's a Gibson tube amp. Any guitar sounded great with that amp.

18. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I use tube amps, have been disappointed repeatedly with ss and modeling amps.

SS and modeling amps are loved by many other players and work well for them, sound good.

Seems legit.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

So... I HAVE seen bands I like playing modelers? I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed that.

Greg_L likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Which part? The part where I don't ever see fake amps being used professionally? You calling me a liar?

Just because I don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I just don't see it. But I see A LOT of live music - pro and amateur - and I don't ever see fake amps being used by anyone. Ever. I can count the times on one hand. I don't even need a hand. The number is zero.

But I also don't ever go see certain styles of music. I don't hang out in churches or metal clubs. Weird how two seemingly opposite ends of the spiritual and musical spectrum can embrace the same technology. The stuff I play, listen to, and go see live is all real amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.