Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Just curious why so many guitar players refuse to acknowledge how far solid state has come? I hope that I have all my grammar correct. I wouldn't want a simple question to turn into a teaching lesson.

Jim622, RiverDog, FenderGuy53 and 6 others like this.
  2. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Is this a real question — or are you trying to pick a fight? I’m not sure what you’re hoping to gain.

3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Haven't experienced this. Not sure if it's a thing in the real world.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Solid state was acknowledged back in the '80s man. You must have missed it. Just like hula hoops in the '50s.

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"Tube Snobs"....

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Are you speaking of modeling? That is far different from simply solid state amps such as the tuck n roll Kustom K-100.

Bob

drewcp, verb boten and Frodebro like this.
  7. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I think it's because it's very recent that modeling become good enough at an affordable price. tubes still have "that thing" but I think we are starting see how both have their place. I finally scored a mesa but my HX stomp gets played (direct) at home and church 90% of the time. its close enough now, sound wise, that the convenience and ease of a small, quick rig is starting to gain ground. but tubes blaring are always gonna be something special. maybe it will end up like 60-70's muscle cars. pull em out and cruise on the weekends but you take your Camry to work every day. lol.

8. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have one of each - a DRRI and a Katana 100. I use both at home about equally, depending on my mood. I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other if I had to pick just one as a "desert island" amp. The Katana sounds good and covers all the bases from squeaky clean to metal, with a bunch of effects thrown in. The DRRI just does one thing, but it does it really well. When I was gigging in a rock cover band I would sometimes use the DRRI with pedals and sometimes the Katana with built in effects, and not once did anyone come up and comment about my tone one way or the other.

drlucky, beagle, marcflores and 5 others like this.
  9. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Solid state amps have come a long, long way and they're getting better... at emulating what tube amps have been doing for 60 years.

SS amps are judged on how good they are at emulating a tube amp. Do I have to say more?

10. Cheap guitar guy

What rock covers did you do?

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m a “tube amp person”. Adamant about it? Not really. Mine is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. It works for me. My tone is clean at the edge of breakup. I can get that from bedroom to outdoor volume by carefully managing guitar volume, channel selection, amp settings, and boost from a Keeley 4 knob compressor. The learning curve was steep. I’m using what is typically a rock amp to accompany myself on vocals, but it works well for me. I respect that folks like other tube amps, with and without pedals. I respect that still other folks get everything they’re looking for in a solid state amp and never need a pedal. If I’m adamant about anything it’s that my opinion shouldn’t influence yours. It’s my opinion about what’s good for me. Thankfully there are loads of good choices out there for folks who prefer tubes and other folks who get their tone from PCB’s and that’s a good thing.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Some of it is scarring from bad solid state. A LOT of bad solid state, for a long time. We want to admit the gainz, but it's hard. Some people had to live through this (or died tryin').

sr 4050.png

13. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Been burned so many times.

"This generation of solid state amps is greatest ever"

**Ok. I'll bite. I'll jumo on board**
    **Try a tube amp again. Angels sing***

14. Cheap guitar guy

Yes it is a real question. I am not trying to pick a fight. (Not with you ) And I do not intend to gain anything.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have 4 vintage tube amps.... and....

a bunch of SS amps that sound great..... and....

I'm looking at buying a modelling rig like the Headrush or Helix.

Good sounds can be made by all....

Equally bad sounds can be made by all...

Depends on... well... lotsa things...

Wildcard_35, bcorig, stevemc and 6 others like this.
  16. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

^^^^
    This.

I fully acknowledge SS amps are good, In fact I have played a couple that sound better than tube amps.
    For example....i have a Randall RG80 that actually sounds better than most jcm800a ive played, although i believe i do have a particularly special one.
    This is talking about basic solid state and not digital/modeling.
    As far as the modeling amps go, yes, they are always getting better and I'll fully admit there are some that i would be fooled in a blindfold test *if* i was only listening and not playing.
    Now THIS is exactly where the divison comes for me.....Ive yet to play any modeler in which I cannot discern the difference in a good tube amp.
    Idk exactly what it is...a latency or something, but there is something missing.
    It has something to do with the dynamics or tactile feel of it
    Not that i am wholly unimpressed with modeling amps BUT....when they get to the point i cannot *feel* the difference, then i will REALLY be impressed.
    Tho' i will still likely prefer tubes...lol

Mugs, richtone, jjudas and 3 others like this.
  17. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I don't hate solid state, it just leaves me kind of meh... My bass player has a ss amp he keeps in our rehearsal space. It doesn't sound bad, definitely good enough for practice. But when I pull out the bf Pro Reverb for a gig it's just so much better - depth, tone at 4, tone 8, reverb, and that great sag I can play with when the whole thing is cooking. Again, nothing wrong with ss but tubes sound and feel more alive.

18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

There are great tube amps, and some really terrible tube amps. There are some great SS amps, and some terrible SS amps.

Tonetele, FloInPA, beagle and 9 others like this.
  19. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I have a foot in both camps. I very rarely gig these days. It's mostly recording.

Back in to 1970's, I had a VOX AC30, then a HiWatt 100 (when they were still made in a garage). That amp was so loud it could probably knock planes out of the sky! That might explain why I have tinnitus today, and only own two small amps. One is the classic Pignose, and the other is a Vox Valvetronix.

The Valvetronix does a pretty good Vox and a convincing Fender Blackface (it's a small speaker, so it's not going to sound like a Twin in the room).

I suspect why a lot of players prefer a tube amp is it reacts a little differently. My chord and lead sounds used to come mostly from the volume control on the guitar. Getting a 'sweet spot' on a tube (valve if you're a Brit) amp comes with experience. On a solid-stage amp, it's harder to get that.

Also, the sheer dynamic range and punch a valve amp delivers is exciting.

I have a lot of digital technology. On recordings, it's great. To a live audience, it's great. To many guitarists, it just doesn't interact the same way.

LocoTex, beagle, Owenmoney and 2 others like this.
  20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Why do you need to know?

LoveHz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.