Why are there so many movies about hit men?

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Because everyone in the movie industry is incapable of coming up with anything that hasn't already been done. And as long as the audience keeps buying into it they don't have to.
I think the cause is that studios will only invest in what is a “sure thing.” And original ideas are big swings. Can be big failures. So they stick with what audiences will go to.
It’s a product of what we (the people) will pay to see.

Top movie in the world now is Top Gun.. 30+ years later. Tom cruise has had #1 movies in 5 decades.

Until audiences tune out, remakes and rehashes is what we will see. And sometimes I’m ok with that. I like the movies more now, than I did when I was a kid.

AcresWild

TDPRI Member
Incels need a fantasy they can aspire to/believe in
sure, partly, but these sorts of movies have always been popular among all types of men

"Despite the moral posturing, men are attracted to these characters precisely because they are manly. Bad guys tend to operate in brutal, indelicate, and unmoderated boys' clubs, and they seem to be particularly concerned with the business of being a man. Gangsters are status conscious, aggressive, tactically-oriented, ballsy, brother-bonded men's men. The loner hitmen are portrayed as capable but careful smooth operators who are masters of their dangerous craft. They are not good men, but they are good at doing the kinds of things that have been demanded of men throughout human history. They are not good men, but they are good at being men" - Jack Donovan, The Way of Men

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Same reason there are so many gangster movies, war movies and revenge movies. People are fascinated by the dark side of humanity and movie studios are businesses designed to make the most money with the least effort.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Same reason there are so many gangster movies, war movies and revenge movies. People are fascinated by the dark side of humanity and movie studios are businesses designed to make the most money with the least effort.
People make and sell what people want to buy. The top podcasts are true crime. There are whole channels on (HLN at night) devoted to this.

When all hell breaks loose and intersects with real life we get all worked up. And wonder why.

Bring back the Hayes Code, I say!

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Silver Supporter
because when a film is made and is successful and makes money...the trend followers keep pumping them out...people are conditioned to follow a franchise