Why are the 60’s Bajas not as celebrated as the 50’s Bajas?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AfroBill, Mar 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I agree with all the posters who have pointed to the fat neck …..with modern radius and biggish frets..... that makes the 50s Baja so unusual and desirable.

Before it's introduction, you had to buy a '52 Hot Rod, if you wanted anything similar...….and the cost was at least twice as much. The excellent pickups and fancy switching are a bonus, for players who wanted a stock Tele with neck comfort (not just for folks with big hands). The introduction of the AO series may be seen as a result of the Baja's popularity. I certainly feel that it has played a part.

GuitarKid and Piggy Stu like this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Not to get political, but since this was 45 years ago we can probably just treat it as history now. Richard Nixon's secretary when he was president of the US was Rose Mary Woods. Probably close enough? She was involved in one of his alibis for how some of the key Oval Office tapes were accidentally erased. I'd say she definitely got played!

-Ray

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I wonder if she is still alive, and faces CITES restrictions in travelling abroad

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about your condition. That's no fun.

But, I am also somewhat bummed to hear that the hardware isn't nickel. I was looking forward to that aged patina that my old Fenders have.

5. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Its simply because the 50s Baja mimics the most classic Tele look, the butterscotch early 50's one with maple neck and black guard. When someone thinks Tele, especially beginners or people who play just for fun/hobby, they will think of the 52 style Tele before anything. So the 50s Baja gets the trophy. Which doesnt mean the 60s Baja is not as good. Also, it came out later, way after the 50s Baja had already sold millions of units.

6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Nope, died in 2005 - when did the CITES restrictions go into effect. She might have grounded for a few years... ;)

Of interest to almost nobody but me (maybe my siblings), she was born and died in the same years as my Dad, she was born a few months later and died several months earlier, but both were 1917-2005...

-Ray

7. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

There is no concern for me about the '60's Baja neck. I already have a 60's neck in my stable, on a 1970 4-bolt Stratocaster; this has a radius of 7.25", and it has bigger shoulders and minimally thicker than a Modern C. This neck is my second favorite to the soft V on a 50's Baja I own. I have not laid eyes on any 60's Baja. I have only heard one played by Chris Fleming of the Custom Shop, and those pickups are from the 50's, which scared me away. They sounded so thin on that video. My 1990 Strat Ultra has the Modern C neck, which if I play long enough I'll get muscular spasms, and is my least favored neck.

But I need to try one to satisfy my concerns about the pickups. This is the first time I ever heard people say the pickups are good. I need to hear one myself and experience how this fits in my guitar universe.

8. E5RSY

The pickups are far beyond good. Easily among the top 3 of Tele pickup sets I've ever played.

I agree on the video. The audio is terrible. But, keep in mind that we don't see the amp he's plugged into. I suspect it was something very small, which would not be the brightest idea on their part when making a marketing video essentially demonstrating pickups.

9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I suspect that 60's Baja was played thru a practice amp, one they use for final Q/A before shipping.

10. E5RSY

Right. I'm guessing one of those Mustangs with an 8" speaker.

11. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

There is still some nickel hardware on the 60s Baja - just not where my hands usually rest. The tuners, and the strap buttons are nickel plated. Until i replace them, I put a rag, or a paper towel on the tuning keys, when I tune my Baja. As it was, like my other guitars, I still had to get my Baja refretted, due to the frets being nickel alloy. I can't even use nickel strings (or stainless steel strings for that matter, since stainless steel contains chromium, which I'm also allergic to) - I use Ernie Ball Cobalts. I really want to avoid the mega dermatitis I got from nickel and chromium back in 2014 - my whole body was one big nasty rash from it.

E5RSY likes this.
  12. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

It's no big deal to me that the 50s baja has a fat neck - I'm a fan of chunkier necks. What ruins it for me, is the V-profile of the 50s Baja neck. I find it very uncomfortable for my playing style (thumb behind the neck), due to the position it puts my thumb in. I wanted to like the 50s Baja, but the more I played it, the less I liked its neck, and I should not have to cough up several hundred dollars to buy a guitar, only to have to replace its neck.

Flaneur likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

And even a Mustang 1 could sound way better than that :p

I like that little video, and Chris Fleming, but it’s not done any service to the poor Baja 60s :lol:

E5RSY likes this.
  14. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought this very 60's Baja used off Reverb. The neck is definitely not "thin" it actually fills my hands pretty well. Love the pickups.

[​IMG]

But I couldn't deal with the lips on the bridge so I replaced it with this one:

[​IMG]

It's one of my favorite guitars now. Plays great, sounds great.

RadioFM74 and AfroBill like this.
  15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. E5RSY

:lol:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  17. Schmidt

Schmidt TDPRI Member

...as well as an ash body. 60's models are alder body - which for many not genuine tele-wood :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.