Why are the 60’s Bajas not as celebrated as the 50’s Bajas?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AfroBill, Mar 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're like Strawberry Quik.

[​IMG]

It is Quik, but it isn't, really.

Had it just been called The Classic Player 60s Telecaster, then I would want one. I just think appropriating the "Baja" name for a non Baja guitar was bone-headed.

Hey FMIC Board! Make the neck section precisely the same as the 50s type, and you can keep the name. Otherwise, no Soup for you!

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I just like the 50's neck better but that 60"s CAR body is gorgeous :D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Blame Chris Fleming in the Custom Shop. He came up with the details on both of them.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I was sure I’d see you here, as I read passionate posts from you about the “Baja” name :D

I guess that Chris Fleming did not identify the “Baja” platform with a big neck. Rather with the concept of a “vintage style, modern-radius, special electronics” tele. The big neck, to him, was just a part of the “50s” vibe on the older model. If you see it like that, fitting a 60s C neck on the 60s version while retaining the whole overall concept makes sense…

5. boris bubbanov

Yeah. FMIC has this obsession with making 50s models with thicker necks and their 60s range must have thinner. Perhaps it was somewhat like this once, but errors are not supposed to be perpetuated. They're supposed to be fixed.

mimmo and RadioFM74 like this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I suspect Fender know neck sizes: market perception means they describe something as 50s or 60s just because to buyers it means fatter/thinner

7. RadioFM74

BTW I am with you about neck sizes. I like thicker. Luckily, they’ve made some ‘60s guitars with nice chunks. My AV65 strat has a very nice and substantial neck – not Baja big (which is just a touch too big for me) but certainly not “slim 60s”!

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

It's a thicker neck than the am std, just skinnier than the 50s baja.

I think the 60s baja is a bang for the buck guitar just like the 50s one. I hate the 50s neck, but like the 60s one.

Are there better guitars out there than the Bajas .. sure sure .. but they're both bang for the buck.

RadioFM74 and joe_cpwe like this.
  9. boris bubbanov

It is an awful nice guitar. I've recommended that guitar to so many guys, I can hardly begin to say. I would play these in stores, and wish I had the money handy because they were just a great AV model and the switch to this AO stuff meant the end - very bad news.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive always wanted a 60's Baja.. and my dreams came true when they released it.. but unfortunately for me at that time, I dont have the money.,.

I had the 50's Baja and its been my number one, go-to guitar for a long time, but I always wished they made a rosewood board on the same thick neck, if thats too much to ask, maybe somewhat thinner but in the same soft-v shape.. apparently its too much to ask but they did something Im still okay with, LOL..

I cant find a 60's Baja here in Oz, but if I did, I'll jump on it.

11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I rarely see 60s ones used for sale.

While I'm sure I'd prefer the 60s, with the neck being closer to modern, what I've seen regarding used ones is that the electronics and solidness make it a good guitar, and the finish is sometimes a liability. These add up to bringing the used price down if the finish is coming off, so anyone in the market for a mim standard who doesn't care about the umm... "pre relicd" paint, gets a better set of electronics for cheaper.

But people do love thier maple fretboards and light color teles....

12. Piggy Stu

When I was scouting mine out a 50s went for 400 used and a 60s 500 used

I think resale values showed 50s didn't suit everyone but more kept hold of the 60s. 50s and 60s were everywhere retail at the time too so it was just more pressure on the used 50s market

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Fortunately, the Baja '60s with rosewood board is not a "slim" neck - it has a moderate fullness to it, but not "fat" like the Baja '50s is.

I've repeatedly tried to love my Baja '50s neck, and for me it's just "ok", but it's not my favorite neck. My Baja '60s neck, however, is among my favorites.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Preferences about neck size and profile and fretboard radius and fret size and shape, etc, etc, etc, are all incredibly personal. I'd personally rather err on the side of fatter than thinner, but I'd rather not err at all! I had a 50s Baja for a while. I liked the fat neck, but it was just fat enough that it never just disappeared when I was playing it. I was always aware I was playing a fat neck. I liked it more than being aware of skinny necks, but I guess I have my own Goldilocks size too. The most comfortable and playable (for ME) neck I've played in recent memory is the one on my 50's roadworn tele. Not as fat as the 50s Baja but much more substantial than any of the modern C necks. Also with an amazing lived in satin finish that feels like no finish at all (in a good way) and a 7.25" freboard with narrow tall frets, which I find to be an amazingly playable combination. I also really like the neck on my Robert Cray strat, which is also kind of a medium size, but more of a "C" shape, with a rosewood 9.5" board and medium jumbos. As much as I like it, I like the roadworn tele more and I've toyed with the idea of going for a roadworn strat to come closer to the same feel. But variety is the spice of life and I only have (or want) three electrics, so having two of them that played too much alike kind of defeats the purpose. And realistically, both of these necks more or less disappear when I play them and just become an extension of me, so I gotta figure that's a raging success... My Epiphone 339 is a whole different kettle of fish, with a 24.75" scale, a 12" radius, etc etc. It's a little skinnier than I'd choose if I was designing it myself, but it never bothers me when I play it.

But it's all personal preference and I'm sure that Fender has sold so many more 50's Bajas is because more people like them. They're also a lot more easily available - I think pretty much every Guitar Center around me almost always has at least one 50's Baja in stock - I've never seen a 60s. But there's a lot of chicken and egg with that - do they sell more because they make them so available or do they make them available because they sell more? I suspect the answer to that is YES!

-Ray

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  15. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I'm on my second 60s Baja (a 2018, my first was a 2014, that I got rid of regretfully in 2017 due to concerns about the nickel plated hardware [I learned in 2017, that 60s Bajas have - nickel gives me major dermatitis], only to find out in late 2018 [from a query on the TDPRI - Fender never answered my 60s Baja nickel hardware questions], that there wasn't much nickel plated hardware on them - ugh!) - it's my Swiss army knife guitar (rock, jazz, and even high gain metal [yes, high gain metal with the right amp, and right amp settings IMO] are very doable on my 60s Baja).

IMO (which seems to be backed up by comments I read in 2015 & 2016 on the TDPRI), many people have the misconception that 60s Bajas have thin necks, due to them not being as thick as the 50s Baja necks. Saying a 60s Baja has a thin neck, is really kind of a misconception. While the neck isn't as thick as the 50s Baja neck, it's definitely chunkier than your typical Fender Modern C neck (which I don't care for at all - too thin for my tastes), and I find it nice and comfy - unlike the sort of V-profile neck that 50s Bajas have, which I find uncomfortable, due to the fact that that kind of neck seems to be geared towards playing with your thumb hanging over the the neck (nope, I play classical style with my thumb behind the neck). Also, many players feel that a real Tele has a maple fingerboard, and as result gravitate towards towards Teles with maple fingerboards. While the pickups aren't as hot and dark as a 50s Baja's Broadcaster based pickups, they are a fair amount hotter and a bit darker IMO than your typical 60s Tele pickups, due to the fact that they're 50s pickups (a '58 Reissue in the bridge, and '52 Reissue in the neck).

In a way it's too bad, the 60s Baja is a great guitar, if you quit expecting it to be a "50s Baja with a Rosewood fingerboard," and judge it on its own merit. I regretted getting rid of my first one, due concerns about potential dermatitis problems from nickle plated hardware, and when I found out the concerns were not that big of a deal, I wasted no time getting another one. My current 60s Baja isn't going anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Piggy Stu and RadioFM74 like this.
  16. RadioFM74

Yes: tastes about fat or slim necks are personal, but the one fact in the whole story is that as said above the Baja 60s has a “60s C” which is bigger than a modern C. That much is clear ;)

17. Piggy Stu

Raise your hand if reading this thread made you get your Baja out and give it a good hard playing

RadioFM74 and AfroBill like this.
  18. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Sunday night. :cool:

56222432_10215990811137828_1259079940679139328_n.jpg

El Tele Lobo, mimmo and Piggy Stu like this.
  19. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Piggy Stu likes this.
  20. Piggy Stu

I know bajas are the one thing everyone on this site agrees on, but I think this should have been 60s spec

I love shell pink, but I also love rosewood. I know a girl called Shelley White, and now after typing this wonder if she has a friend called Rose Wood

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.