Why are telecasters right for you?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RedBarchetta, Mar 8, 2010.

1. XTeleMan

XTeleMan TDPRI Member

The sound, the feel... A Telecaster is a massive magic wand.

2. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Pretty much what others have said. The Tele is an engineering marvel. One of the highlights of 20th-c American design (of any category). It simply does what it was designed to do, and it does it in the most efficient way possible (well, an Esquire is a bit more bare bones). Nothing extraneous. Just the essential parts necessary for the job. But, that's also the source of its visual appeal, why we always stop and look when we see one. There's a purposeful reason why Telecasters don't have bound fretboards and headstocks.

RD

3. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Surely anything that can cover stylistic ground from Don Rich to Stairway to Heaven is not of this earth. Plus, they stay in tune!

4. deepea

deepea Tele-Meister

Simplistic beauty.

Too bad Alex Lifeson never owned one.

5. P-Zilla

P-Zilla Tele-Afflicted

Cause they look cool.

6. slap dat

slap dat Tele-Meister

One word ... tone!

There's something about the design and placement of the bridge pickup that creates a tone that no other guitar can match.

7. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

For me the Telecaster is just simple beauty, so much sound and feel, and I love the mellow tone you can get from the neck pup to the biting "cocky" tone coming from the bridge pup! Oh yes

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes simple really is best.

The variety of tones available from 2 pickups and 2 knobs still amazes me. And they're all crystal clear with real definition and depth. To my ears, no other guitar can quite match that - none that I've played, anyway.

And I find the Telecaster to be incredibly comfortable to play.
    People talk about the slab and the harsh corners and all that and I could never relate to any of those complaints. To me, the size and shape and scale fit together so well that I find them to be pretty much the easiest guitar in the world to play.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I could not have said it any better.

Everything about the Tele is perfect - for ME: form, fit, function, versatility, tone. As soon as I strapped on the 1st one, I was Tele convert.

10. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Leo got it right the first time.

Less is more = Tele.

Tele's are pure simplicity and joy.

11. tacodog

tacodog Tele-Meister

I don't know about the 'got it right the first time' part--mostly because of the ashtray cover--but there are darn few minor things I'd change about a telecaster. Modifications I can do myself. Flipping around the control panel. Installing compensated brass saddles. Grinding the edge off the treble-side ashtray bridge (haven't done that yet but I imagine I will some day.) The tele is built like an old truck. Simple and reliable.

By the way, does anyone make strat-style brass saddles? Intonating each string separately appeals to me more than the vintage barrel deals, but all I can find are strat saddles in steel. I wonder if brass saddles on a modern tele bridge will come close to that vintage sound.

12. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Tele-Meister

Are you sure about that? I've heard rumors he's been spotted on more than one occasion with them--live or not, I'm not sure.

Some of Rush's albums really could've worked well with teles. Believe it or not, I'm referring to their mid-80s albums which had all that crystally, clean sound.

13. expat701

expat701 Tele-Meister

+1 plus the tone. Especially the tone.

However I wish I had a few contours...

14. DOGGONE

DOGGONE Tele-Meister

Man, it's difficult to elaborate after reading all the above posts, I have to agree with all of them, but the most I like about my '84 Tele is the neck. It makes me play it more than my Les Paul Custom or my Strat, or my BC Rich, or my Sheraton II, or my G&L asat special. The only thing that comes close is my '60 Jazzmaster.

15. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i dont know if its been mentioned yet or not but the simplicity of the tele is that it provides a blank slate for you, the sonic artiste, to create your sound...really look at how many different tele players there are and how many different sounds associated with the telecaster...many other guitars have a certain unmistakable tonal quality that cannot be removed or eclipsed and therefore has to be incorporated into your sound if using said guitar...

16. tylerfulltilt

tylerfulltilt TDPRI Member

The telecaster is workingman classy and super versatile. That's why I wanted one.

17. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Tele-Meister

That's the best response I've read yet. Teles are a "blank slate".

18. mijjim

mijjim TDPRI Member

I was thinking about how the a tele is "sonically synonymous" to a guitar to me (ie when I think "guitar sound" I think the sound a tele makes).

Then I got to thinking what if the word "tele" was actually synonymous to "guitar"?

"Man, that's an awesome Les Paul Tele you have there!"
    "Wait, what?"

My mind works in strange ways.

A tele is like a childhood friend. I may go a different direction at times, but the tele, like the friend, will always be there for me.

19. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

The sound. It was part of what I fell in love with as a 7 year old kid hearing old Johnny Cash records, long before I even considered learning to play the guitar (guess I was listening to an Esquire...). When I was 8 one of the things near the top of my Christmas list was more Johnny Cash records (something my family likes to remind me of to this day...it wasn't lyrical content, I just liked the sound-still do). After I did start playing (at 13) I initially never liked the look of the Tele, but it grew on me as did the simplicity, playability, and durability after I actually got one after roughly two decades of playing.

20. Saxguitar

Saxguitar Tele-Holic

Because they look right, sound beautiful and can take a beating. There is no equivilent to a tele, never has been never will be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.