Why are pianos so cheap?!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CajunJ, Jun 27, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

We had an upright piano when I was a toddler in the early 1960s. Mum sold to to a bloke up the road for £5. A week later he came and asked her if she'd take it back, she could keep the £5. Why? Because his neighbours on both sides wouldn't put up with the noise.

tery likes this.
  2. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

Fess knew what to do with those unwanted old pianos.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Roland HP-506 that I am very pleased with. Sound is dead-on, 88 full size weighted keys, 3 pedals. Quite a bit spendier than a free upright, though.

CajunJ likes this.
  4. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

I’ve been looking at the FP-10. Good reviews and around $500, but out of stock everywhere. I have a $400 credit at Sweetwater, so waiting to hear back whether they carry it.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

The sound of digital pianos is, at best, like a piano in another room listened thru a speaker. This way, digitals may sound great, but no way they are sounding as good as playing a real piano.
    You don't need to tune them, that's fine.
    But all in all they are and remain an imitation.

6. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

They are so cheap because Hammond Organs are lighter and easier to move

Deeve likes this.
  7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

Damn straight.

I have a digital piano, I use it for recording midi parts. When I want to play or write songs, I play my ~70 year old Knabe Mignonette.

There's nothing like the sound of a piano filling the house.

CajunJ, Jakedog and slauson slim like this.
  8. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"...no such thing as a "free" piano..."

9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

All the posters here are correct about them being hard to move & taking up room, but also...we are now in an "instant gratification" society; very few people wanna take the time anymore to achieve reasonable proficiency on an instrument. Not the same with guitar, because you can suck on guitar & still sound reasonably decent. Just listen to most rock players in local bands. And...digital keyboards have taken over.

ravindave_3600 and drmordo like this.
  10. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

It's sadly true that you can pick up a great piano for not much money these days.

My advice echoes what others have said:

Get a professional like an experienced piano tuner to check it over before buying. Many older pianos in the UK are irretrievably shot. Many cheap new uprights (typically with German sounding names but aren't) are very poor quality.

Pay professional movers. I had a 1930s Bluthner grand moved 400 miles 5 years ago. Cost £500 and had to be taken up a narrow staircase. One of the top UK firms - Great value I thought.

My other tips;

Baby grands (under 5') have poor bass tone (often described as tubby!) because of the short string length. Better off with a quality upright.

Digital pianos have their place - I gig a 88 key Nord Stage which has great piano samples and B3 Wurli and Rhodes emulations. But nothing compares to my 6' Yamaha C3x for playing all kinds of music at home. I've just been accompanying my son playing cello, back from University during lockdown, which is priceless. And he got to Grade 8 on that piano too.

A good real piano can give your home a musical soul like nothing else. I know that sounds pretentious but there it is! So I hope the OP goes for it!!

CajunJ and drmordo like this.
  11. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

Update: Just ordered the Roland FP-30. I went with it because the action is supposed to be the most similar to an acoustic piano in the price range. The sound clips I’ve heard are good, maybe not as soft/warm as some others, but it should work just fine. Can’t wait!

Anybody else have a Roland?

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Truth.

I've heard pretty incredible harpsichord emulations, though.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And then there's ...

14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It is due to the law of supply and demand .

15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Kimball that my ex-girlfriend from the 80's had for most of her life. She only gave it up because her hands are getting arthritic. We're still friends, and when she called to ask if I wanted it and I said yes, her husband and son showed up less than an hour later with it. Good timing, too, as my daughter was just about the age to start lessons.

There is nothing like an actual piano. I could afford pretty much any digital or emulated instrument I want, and what I want is a soundboard and a hammer action.

With all the instruments there are in my house (and there's a lot), that piano is the one that gets the most use.

My daughter moved on to cello and woodwinds, but my son takes lessons. He's recently decided he doesn't like the lesson curriculum much (though he loves his teacher), so he's working his own way through my old lesson books. Just like I'm doing now that I have time on my hands.

If you want a real gas, look up VPO (Virtual Pipe Organ) stuff sometime.

As for pianos being heavy, I moved my mother's piano a couple times by myself. When I was young and strong. Yeah, it was probably 400 pounds.

Good pianos should be passed down.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I mentioned to someone once that a friend was giving us a piano. The fella I was speaking with said, “That guy’s not your friend.”

I suppose you could move one yourself, but there’s a reason piano movers can charge what they do. In the end, I couldn’t give the damn thing away. Had to pay a guy to haul it away.

Boy, I should have listened to the first fella. Anyone trying to give you a piano, or give you a good deal on a piano has marked you for a sucker. Buy a nice keyboard and be done with it.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife bought herself a baby grand for her 50th birthday. It's about 6 feet long, but we have a large living room. I tried to talk her into an electric keyboard, but she was having none of it. Today, there are no regrets.

slauson slim and CajunJ like this.
  18. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Full disclosure: We have a baby grand in our living room. My wife's gift to herself when she got a job, way back in the '80s before I met her. She plays, sight reads well and has a lovely singing voice. She majored opera and agricultural economics in university. We have had it moved three times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.