1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are "long distance" telephone charges still a thing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by paulblackford, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

We have a 'landline' as well since it's included with our fiber internet, but at this point it's all just data running through the physical fiber optic cable. There's a nominal charge for maintaining our landline phone but it's a drop compared to the data/internet charge and there are no long distance or other phone charges.

As soon as gigabit fiber service became available in my neighborhood I jumped on it since we were able to bundle phone/internet/DTV and get much improved internet access.

paulblackford likes this.
  2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

By the "US system" I, of course, mean the way the American telephone/internet system is designed to screw the consumer.
    I'm sorry if you were confused, but I did not think an initial explanation was necessary.

nojazzhere, paulblackford and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, I understood it. I was merely stating that the phone/internet system is just one of a plethora of systems intentionally set up to screw us.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Europe is way ahead of the US in providing superior and less expensive broadband access. I believe this is largely due to the fact that competitive broadband providers in Europe have open access to fiber lines (for a fee) so you can have multiple providers competing for customers using the same physical fiber optic network. The competition benefits the consumer. Most lines in the US are owned by the broadband providers -- so typically your choices are limited to a cable provider via cable access, a provider using the old phone line, or something via satellite.

I'm sure there are other folks here who know way more about this than I do who can better explain this, but yeah our telecom system is not the best for the consumer.

paulblackford and Jakedog like this.
  5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Long distance charges are a scam now, leftover billing plans from the past.

I had a cousin who was out on travel. The cell phone was dying and so to let the battery recharge, used the hotel phone. Well... guess what... calling across the state on a hotel land line resulted in $100 charge when checking out from the hotel... and that was for about 60 minutes of phone time. This was probably about 2010. Prepaid phone cards (which had died out around 2002) were charging 3 cents a minute by comparison.

yah... right... when I can buy a burner phone at the convenience store for a fraction of that hotel fee. It is infuriating when they snag someone unsuspecting.

paulblackford, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Because you've made it so difficult to contact you, YOU MAY BE MISSING OUT ON YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE AN EXTENDED AUTOMOBILE WARRANTY!

7. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    True analog landline today, not the IP packet switched callings you get with your cable provider, is a product of the days when AT&T was broken up into all the different Bell operating companies which were eventually rejoined together into larger but fewer regional companies. Latas were set up (local access transport areas) that defined local calling vs long distance. Depending on scenario, there were also areas with long distance intralata calling. Usually local calls were included in your base rate but as soon as your local provider had to hand the call off to the inter-lata carrier (long distance) you got charged for that as well.
    I still have a true landline, that I keep for 911 purposes mostly. If I ever have to call 911 it will give the operator the exact address the call is originating from. Also, I don't have long distance on it. I canceled that since I use my cell for that. I only use the landline for local outbound and toll-free service. It also makes it easier for family to call and reach whoever is home. It was also the only service working when superstorm Sandy knocked out all communications...not bad for old tech. I know it's not for everyone and many will disagree.
    There are ways to get free LD - just not via the old POTS system.

paulblackford and black_doug like this.
  8. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

I call all over Europe and US to friends and family from the US multiple times per week. I use WhatsApp, doesn't cost a penny.

No landlines in at least 5 years.

9. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I use one everyday for business. I much prefer to talk on a landline when I have the option. To be sure the future for landlines is not bright, they are on the way out, but 40% of US households still have one.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

mom cut off the long distance features on her land line to save money and if the area code is outside her 281 such as the next county being 409 its long distance and in some cases across the street.

paulblackford and Jakedog like this.
  11. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

We have a landline because to get uninterrupted cell phone service out here you have to draw a big, fancy circular symbol on the floor, light candles around its perimeter, then hop up and down on one leg while standing in the middle with your cell phone to your ear and simultaneously slinging handfuls of salt into the air with your other hand.

But with the landline, I can call people anywhere on Earth with no long distance charges. I guess Mrs. Steerforth has us on some international plan or something.

paulblackford, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, no....they still call my landline.....and deluge my mailbox. (and if I check my email I bet I've got fifty messages in SPAM right now)
    As well as offers to change Medicare plans, credit card offers, change banks, trade my (almost) new car, etc. etc.
    I have innumerable opportunities to "reach out and touch someone".........;)

paulblackford and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i have never had a landline in my adult life. i don't even know why my parents still do, they've been using their cell numbers for official stuff for 20 years now. just a combo of termination anxiety and crappy bundles from the cable provider i guess.

14. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Haha! Youngsters! I entered adulthood when phones still had dials, and you were tethered to a coily phone cord.

loopfinding likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of things in the US suck compared to where you are!

16. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Phone operators charge what they can get away with.

Whatsapp and unlimited data solve that problem.

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid, the phone didn’t have a dial. You had to pick it up and talk to the operator to make a call. Our phone number was four digits long.

I remember thinking how modern and high tech life was becoming when we eventually got a phone with a rotary dial. :lol:

18. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

definitely remember the landline days from my childhood, we had at least one rotary in the house...and do not miss them, haha. college would have been a total pain in the ass for my disorganized self having to figure phone line out on top of all the other hurdles of getting set up.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Steerforth and paulblackford like this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And that last call was probably their final notice too, right? :lol::lol::lol:

At least that is what their voice mail message says EVERY TIME THEY CALL, 5 TIMES A DAY!

At least these calls are down to twice a month now.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.