1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are Japan Fender Telecasters selling so high?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DRFP, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/i...85,w_620/v1394728464/vwbcgotaqiitfjtb7lm8.jpg

wow, i really like this one.. she bangs hard!! double bound too *BONUS* heh. plays the loto.. come on.. make me win lady luck...id even start account on that reverb Place just to get that one if i had the cash. for some reason that one speaks to me. .. hell what more could you want other than maybe a solid rosewood neck.

chris.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Right.

You would think with all the wild variations in results achieved with PLEK machines, we'd at some point start to realize the operator needs a wide variety of skills that may not exist 100% in a highly insular environment.

Think of CNC machines (and the people who set them up and operate them) like the field of entrants in a Formula One (F1) car race. Always seems like the same teams have the edge, even though the Book makes everyone equivalent supposedly, and then certain drivers get more out of those cars than others do. There's always someone out there who is getting called out for being a "rolling chicane". In F1 the European born and raised engineers and drivers almost always prevail. Craftsmen in the USA (whether they're salaried grunts or the guys overlording them) are their counterparts in the making of electric guitars.

It is fun to imagine making guitars on Easter Island or something, cut off from the rest of the world. Or is this like making moonshine in a holler straight out of Dickey's book "Deliverance"? Fender Japan needs IMO an exchange program with the USA and MIM operations to see how things have evolved. My sense from looking at their guitars is, they're jewel like in some (sometimes many) ways but more and more, when you pick 'em up and hold them, play them, there's a sort of "irrelevance" about them. IMO.

Before anyone starts hurling knee jerk, sloppy insults at me, let's remind ourselves that the "Rule Book" for what a Fender is and is not, is and always will be written in the USA. Since we write the book, is it really any surprise that in the end, we define ourselves as the winners? In a way, this isn't really fair to Fender Japan but there you have it. I think a lot of guys still pull for them because, in most ways, they're the underdog and we all love the underdog.

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Wrote the guy for more pics...pretty interested. Don't know about that price though.

4. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

yeah, i agree. as i do not have the cash that was not really a concern.. if i was really in the market i would be thinking the same way about price.
    but she is nice and i think worth looking into thats for sure,..

chris.

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

I have a 50th Anniversary MIJ Tele which as been modded and a 2005 Am. Dlx. Tele I love both guitars now for different reasons but the MIJ as originally constructed was never and never would be the equal of the Am. Dlx... In any way. Sorry.

6. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

That's why an Am Dlx costs more....there are high end MIJ's as well, which some folk here overlook, just because you don't see them at your local store.

7. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Better built than USA.. if they had adult nut widths 1 11/16ths) I'd own one.

8. boris bubbanov

Good observation.

These necks are a "true" 1 + 5/8ths and not a bit more. Whereas the North American so called "1 + 5/8ths" are at least 1.650, I find in measuring them with calipers.

This is something to be on the lookout for on Allparts necks. Same source, and they mean it when they say 1 + 5/8ths.

9. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Best of both worlds.. My MIJ TL69-SPL going under the knife to receive some Curtis Novak unpotted Alnico-2 pickups, orange drop cap, Alpha pots, CRL switch, and Rutters compensated brass saddles.

To say I'm happy with this guitar is probably an understatement!

[​IMG]

10. boris bubbanov

You should be happy.

That Tele looks absolutely spectacular!!

So vibrant - easily my favorite of the Graphics from FenderJapan I've seen.

Now if I saw one of those in a shop. But I won't. :(

Unless I go to Japan! :D

11. sclitheroe

Thanks! The picture doesn't do it justice at all. There's a subtle metallic flake to the black, and the colours on the florals are so rich - I feel good just looking at it, let alone playing it.

I never in a million years expected I'd be playing a floral guitar, it chose me.

12. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Good Lord that flowered one is beeeautiful!!!

I bought this about a month or so ago - I have a few quite fine guitars, including 2 Valley Arts - but this is (for now at least) my favorite to play.

It's 84-87 MIJ Contemporary and I happily paid $650 for it - in virtually brand new condition.

And I find no desire whatsoever to do anything with the electronics - pickups of TBX tone control - it sounds and plays wonderfully - and I would have been happy had I paid even more for it.

They cost so much because they are worth it. I got the receipt for it he bought it new in 87 and paid $499 with a $100 discount. And a tweed hard case with it for $60

Attached Files:

13. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Never buy MIJ condoms ;)

1 11/16th = 42.86mm

My present day MIJ and JV are 42.3-42.5mm, USA 8502 Tele....42.35mm

There's good deals out there...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181619859845?rmvSB=true

Has Texas Special pickups.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Mmmm, nice.

Just a suggestion, maybe give it a new control plate rather than drilling out the original for the new pots.

I've never seen that finish, it would probably be hard to walk out of a music store and leave that guitar on the rack.

15. donvito

donvito TDPRI Member

"Made in Japan" Fender guitars are very good quality. I had a Telecaster MIJ '69 Thinline that I bought new in 1993. It was a leftover '86 or '87. I also have a late '80s MIJ Stratocaster. I sold the Thinline, in perfect condition, three years ago for $550. I wish I still had it. I would not sell my Strat for less than $800, but after hanging on to it for 20 years, I will keep it until the prices go through the roof.

16. sclitheroe

This is exactly what I did - Stew Mac to the rescue. That's also, of course, why there are new knobs in the picture as well - the Japanese knobs are sized for Japanese shafts, so the Alpha pots wouldn't have worked with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.