1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are Japan Fender Telecasters selling so high?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DRFP, Jul 9, 2014.

1. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Why on Ebay Japan Fender Telecasters are selling in the 700 plus range?

They are not USA telecasters,
    They were in the 300 to 400 range just 2 months ago :confused:

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

coz they're good?

3. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

So is my Squier Standard but not worth as much as a MIA Tele :rolleyes:

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I see it as a sign that they're becoming collector's items. They're from the 80's, which is 30 years ago, they're decently built, and they aren't making them any more. I wouldn't mind having one myself. However, if I had $700, just wanted a player and didn't care about the history, I'd get a used American Standard, hands down.

5. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Because MIJ is at least as good quality as MIA.

6. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Fender Japan makes great quality guitars actually amazing quality far better than anything USA Fender put out (except custom Shop's IMO) and they put out new models..USA not so much...

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No they weren't. I watch the Japanese Telecasters on eBay, and they haven't routinely been in that price range for years. If they could be bought for that kind of money I'd have been buying them rather than hoarding MIMs.:D

The occasional fluke does pop up, but they're almost always 600+.

8. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Actually I believe there are still some Fender guitars being manufactured in Japan. There are some guitars in the Pawn Shop series that I believe are made in Japan.

9. Yamaguy

Yamaguy TDPRI Member

Head to head- the Japanese Fender products are more consistent and in my opinion better than MIA Fenders

If neither had the country stamp on them ud pick the Japanese model 9 times out of 10.

The craftsmanship is really really good on the Japanese models- period.

Japanese Fenders are not easy to get a hold of here by traditional retailers
    ...ever wonder why?

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Yup!

11. Brotherdarling

Brotherdarling TDPRI Member

You can still get them for a steal from individuals and pawn shops, but eBays prices are constantly inflating. I think the mij's are an affordable way to buy a guitar that has a lot of vintage qualities on the cheap compared to reissues and custom shop jobs. I assume this is why they command a premium, also because of the comparative prices of MIM and MIA products that offer vintage specs. I bought a mij squier for $200 from sam ash a few years ago, it has it's cosmetic flaws (gouges, hole in the lower bout from a "hendrix ing"), but was well worth the cash + set up. As for eBay, I haven't seen many for less that $500-600.
    I'm left handed though so what do I know;)

12. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I think it's a case by case basis. I bought an '85 MIJ Strat for $230 because it was on Craigslist for so long and nobody wanted it. It's probably one of the nicest playing starts I've ever played. Consequently I've seen a few MIJ Teles (red with double binding) and they look like gorgeous guitars but they are asking more than what a used American Standard goes for. I've emailed both parities and made reasonable offers on both and they both declined, and they are still both for sale.

13. busman

busman Tele-Meister

Are they selling for $700+, or is that just what people are asking for them? I've seen a few on eBay Aust asking $7-800+ and they get plenty of watchers but don't sell. Case in point, this beautiful machine has been on eBay for months: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-J...l_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item3ce41b8014

All of that said, I've got my eye on a beautiful black '84 MIJ "Contemporary Series" Strat for sale locally that they're asking $800 for... mighty tempted :oops:

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

They make them with care ..The necks are finely made and if you get a Japanese Strat you notice just how smooth the body contours are .In Japan to make a dud item is to bring shame on the factory .Shame in Japan is worse than a kick in the nuts or the sack ..I suspect the cheaper electrics used on most items are part of the licencing deal with Fender ..to separate MIJ from MIA .I prefer MIJ but you have to watch specs .Few have 9.5 radius boards which I like ..

15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

made in Japan guitars the vintage spec ones will sell for a good price because they are quality
    the one Busman above has linked is nice but is over priced

16. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Hype. Some people still think we're in the early 80's, when Fender wasn't doing well at all and sellers jump on the chance to make a good profit.

17. wilbarreid

wilbarreid TDPRI Member

Totally agree, the vintage models with the USA pickups are the ones to get, I wouldn't be interested in the lower spec'd cheaper ones.

18. bigjed

bigjed Tele-Holic

It's certainly not overpriced - it's being sold in Australia - even used MIJ/CIJs go for around $900 - $1000 AUD and while the Aussie $ and the US$ are of similar value, the guitars themselves are rare in Australia which is a much smaller market than the US or Japan.

19. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

My son has a MIJ 80's strat. Killer guitar. I would put it up against any guitar. He has had it a long time. I think I paid maybe 200-250 for it, but that was like 15 years ago.

20. Mal Practice

Mal Practice TDPRI Member

Because they're great guitars,I've got an 86 tele custom 62 reissue and you can offer what you like,your not having it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.