1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why are Gibson ES-335's so expensive?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Neener, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I took my Squier Mini-Strat to the Gentleman at Broken Guitars, a Great local brick and mortar shop. Transforming a $179.00 guitar in to a hot'cha sweetheart. It is perfect for slide guitar a pickup upgrade X 3 a new tuners, a perfect set up . It is now my favorite slide guitar. Great tone oozing out all slippery greasy delicious. The Right Tool for the right job. scuwz me whilst I wipes my chin.

2. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Is the Les Paul not even more expensive ?

3. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

This Gretsch is somewhat similar to a les paul 0C7A906B-732A-4DDD-B62C-38865849A0CA.png

4. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Off course much cheaper. ( If you dont buy George Harrisons ex) as it was a Cheap guitar in the fifties.

5. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I

6. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

My 58 Historic Made in Memphis "fat neck" 335. I bought it new in 2011 for dealer cost $2500. It's beautiful! And I put the "speed knobs" on the guitar.
    Sounds amazing and plays exactly the way I want it too. I put 11 to 48s on her and the tone is just smoking.

Pictured here with "The Drifters"
    Pre Corona. Screenshot_2020-07-03-20-07-05.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Mike M, Electric Warrior and Paul G. like this.
  7. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

I've got some fond memories of this album. I was in Jr. High at the time, and a newly-realized Beatles fan. Cloud Nine was the first release of a Beatles Solo album that I paid attention to. IGMMSOY was the first hit. I remember that the local pop station took votes from 7pm-8:30 or so, then they would play the Top 9 at 9. My buddies and I called repeatedly to keep the former Beatle in the top spot for way too long and it set a record. lol

There are some other good songs on that album too. George followed up with The Travelling Wilbury's not too awful long after that.

8. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

They are very good guitars made by a world-class legendary guitar maker:

[​IMG]

Not sure what's surprising about the cost. I buy them used, I got that one for $2k a year after it was new, not a scratch on it.

They are what they are said to be. Can you get a great guitar from another maker potentially for less money? Sure.

Did everyone who bought a Gibson pay too much? No.

9. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I actually have two ES-335s in my possession, that red Dot from 2019 that you can see in the post above and a Traditional from 2018. The Traditional was made in the last year of the Memphis plant and I was wondering if it would be "better" than the one made in Nashville.

It's not. Gibson is making incredible ES guitars right now, they've nailed every detail, bone nut, quarter sawn neck, the pickups are just fantastic, great ABR bridge with brass saddles.

Jump on in.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

From what I can tell, the U.S.-made Gretsch guitars were decent if they didn't fall apart, and the current production guitars coming out of Japan are quite a bit better.

11. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I believe them to be great guitars only that duo jet was not a great guitar

12. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

This one I would give 3 fingers for. Beautiful red Gretsch 7CE03B6E-1A2D-4491-9532-9921CA7A31D9.png

13. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Can confirm, as the former owner of a 2019 anniversary. The current guitars coming out of the terada factory are the best they’ve ever made. Quality was inconsistent at best coming out of the Brooklyn factory, and we won’t talk about the Baldwin years. Fantastic guitars.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My dream guitar is a Japanese-built Jet in black. I have a black Electromatic Pro Jet that is perfect.

JamesAM likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not exactly sure why some of you are so upset. If you feel a Gibson 335 is worth it, great.

If you feel it's overpriced and some other 335-style guitars from other makers are just as good for a fraction of the price, then great, you can buy a relative bargain.

I enjoy both my 1963 Fender Strat and my 2007 Squier Bullet Strat. And I live happily with whatever cognitive dissonance owning both requires.

16. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I thought Epiphone was at least one of the ONLY factories in modern day China to have it's OWN factory producing ONLY Epis and a "few" Gibson employees were overseers everyday. Am I incorrect on this?

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Because... Gibson.

18. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Yep, at the exclusive to Epiphone Usung factory, since 2004.

KyAnne likes this.
  19. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I've been really lusting for a cherry Gibson 335. At the moment, seems like the most reasonably priced 335's are the new ones.

20. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

Don't be afraid of the new ones, I have a 2019, it's as good as anything I've had otherwise from Gibson.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.