Why are all these zombie threads (re)appearing?

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

RESURRECTING OLD THREADS:
Over the years we have determined that resurrecting old threads can cause some problems for our membership. So, in general, we ask that you not post on threads that are not currently active on our thread indexes - such as threads more than 6 months to a year old. We think it's best if you simply post in current threads -- or start a new one of your own unless you have something really valuable to add to the older thread. If you resurrect an old thread with a "Me too" or a "joke." we'll probably remove the post as it's not adding any value to the thread.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member

Attachments

• Chill-Pill.jpg
    Chill-Pill.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 4

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
one would think, but policies regarding these types of things seem to constantly be shifting, which leads to plenty of lack of clarity and downright confusion, imo

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
one would think, but policies regarding these types of things seem to constantly be shifting, which leads to plenty of lack of clarity and downright confusion, imo
Yeah - combine that commandment with the "Similar Threads" section and you have a recipe for confusion. The Similar Threads should be tweaked to only go back six months or so - or removed entirely - if they don't want to raise the dead. I myself never use it because most seem to be "overage".

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
Zombie threads, asked and answered topics (aren't they all?), spinoff threads...it all reminds me of a Gandalf line;

“In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took.”🤣

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
All I know is, when all us losers came to this site so many years ago with "maple vs rosewood" threads, our questions were usually answered graciously and kindly. And guess what? New people arrive everyday with the same burning questions about acoustic resonance and such, and they deserve better than being told to "check the archive, there are a million threads about this already!"
Some people don't yet know enough about guitars and the popularity of such questions so, they ask in earnest. They deserve a courteous answer. That's how you grow a good forum like we have here.
However, if such a newcomer arrives and asks these questions, then refuses the answers and gets snarky and wants to debate the whole issue to the point where we're all jumping out of windows, then perhaps a stroll through the archives might be a good suggestion. After the politeness has been exhausted. Now get off my lawn!

smartsoul72

Tele-Holic
I’ve been reading and enjoying a few. It’s fascinating to see all the bygone members. People who were on here for years and disappeared for whatever reason.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep, I too think the “similar threads” is a big factor. Another is that once resurrected, you might see only the new reply and add another, not knowing that an earlier part was the zombie. So I think that the zombieness is not clear enough. Anyway, I’m not complaining - zombies aren’t a huge bother to me. I just feel a little flustered if I unknowingly fall prey to a zombie and then someone else complains that I did.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I do a double take when it resurrects my own zombie thread/comment and...

I don't remember "saying" that!
Was I posting while toasted again?
I really don't remember...

Then I see the date. :oops:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I'm guilty.

What's wrong about building on another thread? It cuts down repetition and there's a built-in function to prevent duplication when you try to start a new thread.