Why a 1983 telecaster isn't collectable!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agreed. That is why the Standards and the Elites pretty much languish while the Fullerton Reissues are now hitting near-vintage prices: it's all about the features on the Standards and Elites since the production quality was on an upswing from the circa 1978-1980 era.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    awasson and warrent like this.
  2. Big E Folsom

Big E Folsom TDPRI Member

I never got it,whats with you guys anyway? you buy a genuine fender tele to play and enjoy ,come on man who gives a damn abiout how much its worth? you bought it to play it,nuff said,ive got nine of em and never gonna sell em so i dont obscess over em.play it boy!

warrent, JayFreddy and awasson like this.
  3. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

So even though I'm never gonna sell mine either and continue to play it, I still don't have any right to question the value of it ? Or it's collectability?
    It's a good thing I do whatever I want to do in life and not what other people try to tell me what to do.
    Here's a suggestion; next time you read a posting and you don't like it, don't respond to it. Just keep on scrolling!
    Have a great day!

golfnut likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have to agree with @Big E Folsom’s sentiment and add that the guitars we”re talking about here aren’t rare one of a kind guitars. They’re mass produced work horse instruments and that doesn’t take anything away from them but why concern yourself that it isn’t desired like a 52 Tele or a Snakehead Esquire; just love them and play them. My 94 MIM Strat cost $250 and it’s worth about $250 in today’s, tomorrow’s and next week’s market if I ever wanted to sell it. I absolutely love it to pieces. It’s fantastic and I challenge anyone to find a guitar with a better neck but it’s not a collectors item and until they unearth it in an archeological dig a thousand years from now, it won’t ever be a collectors item. To me that doesn’t matter because it’s a killer guitar.

Southpole and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I think you should follow your own advice

BrandonIke and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  6. ub

ub TDPRI Member

I owned and stripped it took forever, the thickness of the poly was unbelievebable. When stripped the wood was wet, they must have cut down the tree and cut the body the same day.

jfgesquire likes this.
  7. ub

ub TDPRI Member

It was a 1983 Telecaster.

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

How long after you bought it did you strip it?

Did you sand it off or use a heat gun?

9. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Some good info in this thread.

A lot of drek too.

I Iike my 83 just fine. It's holding its value well too.

I did need to wax the pickups to bring them up to snuff, but otherwise she's 100% original.

The irony is that rather than boost people's opinion of the 83 model year, this thread has probably done the opposite.

Now I will be keeping my eyes open for good deals... Lol

awasson likes this.
  10. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Did you wax pot them? The pickups I mean. We’re they microphonic? I thought by then that would be standard practice. They must be some Alnico variant I’m sure.

I’m going to keep my eyes open for deals too. A friend of mine had one back in the day. I didn't gravitate to it back then but my tastes have changed and my skills have evolved since then as has my appreciation for Telecasters.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Yes and yes.

They were not potted at the factory. They sounded fine with a clean tone, but would squeal with even the slightest bit of overdrive.

The wax potting solved the problem and improved the tone of the clean sound as well, IMHO.

Yes, they are alnico pickups.

awasson likes this.
  12. ub

ub TDPRI Member

Stripped it 2002, used a Sharp knife to scrape together with sanding. Added a vintage bridge, string through, a 1968 bridge pickup, very classic twang, never Sharp and piercing.

13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I'm afraid of scuffing the wood. I'm sure that the wood was very green and still is since the moisture couldn't escape the finish. I heard heat guns work well if you keep it moving.

I have an 83 Strat that I modified by adding a second volume knob (not a second tone knob). The volume knob only worked on the middle pickup. I could set the middle pickup at a lower volume and then just flip the switch to 1, 2, 4 or 5 for a louder blend/lead. It also created a huge array of tones in the 2 or 4 position because I could blend the middle pickup in.

It looks like a mid 60's cerulean blue Strat except for having the FreeFlyte trem.

It was originally Olympic White and I just scuffed the surface and sprayed the blue lacquer over it.

But now it needs a complete refinish, because of the rout that I'm in the process of plugging/patching. I want it stock again. FB_IMG_1524661780454.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.
  14. ub

ub TDPRI Member

Yeah, the wood was green. Whatever happen to the Wood can be hidden under the paint. THE last of the poly can be sanded off, no risk scuffing the Wood.

15. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yep; there's 'old' and then there's 'vintage' (exceptional). What really pisses me off is the ridiculous and cynical prices being charged for godawful '70s boat anchors with shrill pickups, wrong body shapes and inch thick finishes, touted as 'vintage' along with the psychological cachet that word suggests. Still, I guess if you're 18 years-old now, 1975 is ancient history!

awasson likes this.
  16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yes, Japan was really knocking them out of the park as far as build quality and accuracy of reproduction was concerned. Fender was running a poor second, unsure of which direction to go in. The early Dan Smith Strats were Fender's first attempt at getting them right again, and it was Japan who did the butt-kicking. I remember playing one of the first Japanese Squier Strats (Silver series, large 'Fender' logo, small 'Squier' logo), and remarking what a fine guitar it was.
    https://www.stratcollector.com/news/dan-smith-stratocaster/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    awasson likes this.
  17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I liked that article until the very end...

"That name has been reserved only for the 1981-83 first version of the Standard Stratocaster"

What a putz that author is! Reserved? Is there an "official international registry of the reservation of unofficial guitar names" published somewhere?

"Because this one goes to eleven."

AndrewG likes this.
  18. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

An US tele is a great guitar whether its collectible or not. If you the follow the crowd you are always behind. 70s teles 20 years ago were hard to sell and a dime a dozen. Not anymore!

JayFreddy and 83siennateleguy like this.
  19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I have sold 5 guitars including two Teles in the last couple of weeks. Out of all the various people I have been dealing with, buyers and tire kickers alike, most are young, don’t have a level of knowledge that would particularly motivate them to appreciate why one early 80s model is better than another and are mainly concerned with vibe, features and playability. Im not getting the feeling that ‘vintage’ is going to be as big a deal to under 25s as it is to my generation.

Reverb.com does not appear to have any sales data for the 83 sienna burst Tele or one for sale. That doesn’t suggest that demand or profile for this model is especially high.

But there is a Strat for sale from a dealer for US $1695 to give some indication. Whether it actually sells for this price is another matter.

https://reverb.com/item/13951126-1983-fender-stratocaster-elite-sienna-sunburst

83siennateleguy likes this.
  20. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Elites that are all original seem to get a good price, way more than the Standards. I'm actually a fan of the master volume master tone setup of the Standard more so than all the gadgets on the Elite, but to each their own.

Bottom line for me, any of those large radius '83 necks are my absolute favorite Fender profile of any era.

JayFreddy and 83siennateleguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.