1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why a 1983 telecaster isn't collectable!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was guitar shopping for a real guitar with money I saved up from after school jobs around that time (actually October 1981 but close enough). I tried all the guitars at Long and McQuade and finally settled on an Ibanez. It was far superior to Fender and Gibson’s of the day. I’ve still got it and added a couple more so it’s in good company.

That said, a Telecaster or Strat is a simple guitar to get right so even though the factory was infamous for getting it wrong during that era, most people on this site can get it right. I’d bet a 1983 USA telecaster has a better neck than my home built telecaster which I’ve managed to dial it into a magnificent guitar. I’m certain I could do the same with this era guitar.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I think a lot of the collectable thing is the, " They Don't Make Em' Like They Use To" factor. I mean there are some guitars that were issued as a true collectable, The Gretsch Monkees guitar comes to mind but I'm not sure if this Gretsch model is a good guitar or just collectable. Look at the paisley Teles. I am old enough to remember people practically giving these away, a friend of mine had one he kept under his bed w/o a case. Now...........one definition says.
    1. an item valued and sought by collectors.
      "the auction attracted professional dealers trading in quality small collectables"

They don't go into why it's valued so it gets me back to the " They Don't Make Em' Like They Use To" factor, which IMO would be the only reason to pay "collectible prices".

Gary

3. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Then there’s the type of thing that is a rarity but it just isn’t very desirable. Like the bench seat option that was in just a few early (sometime around 64-66) Ford Mustangs. And while I personally like those odd saddles in these telecasters, I’m guessing many others don’t and so they probably got replaced like those seats.

4. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

My 2knob 83 strat is an incredible playing and sounding guitar. I'd love to eventually add an 83 tele. This era is much better than advertised commonly.

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I have never owned an ‘83 Tele, but I wouldn’t mind having one. Given the unique year for this bridge on Fender Teles, I suspect that one day it will become one of its winning points. It may be some time, though, given that so many Tele players love the through-body and vintage 3-saddle design, and don’t seem to like that bridge.

I bought this one off eBay, I plan to try it one day.

379F2DCB-0BEC-4641-8220-8CF62C2FA94E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.