Why “Thanks for playing.”?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by beatnik, Jul 3, 2019.

1. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I thought of this thread when I heard it today. Imagine if this is your WL.

TedS123 likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yep, me too. We've had times too where people applauded and that is easily the most uncomfortable moment for me. We aren't supposed to do this to get compliments or praise for our own contribution. But secretly I want praise for my own contribution. Especially when we work hard at it in preparation for some particular Sunday. Terrible, I know and I'm working on it. Happily, I want praise, but I don't truly need praise. I guess that's good?

I wonder if pastors also want some praise for their sermons too? I mean, when you think about it, we are all human and want to be recognized for our accomplishments and the Sunday sermon is the most important and most public thing that the do for their work week. It is the culmination of their labor, when you think about it. If I were hired to paint someone's house or do some other work that had meaning in their lives I'd probably crave that "reveal" at the end of the job where they'd comment on my care and attention to detail, etc.

Seems like a very human thing to want someone to recognize your hard work. And as soon as they do, I just dismiss it all, minimize it or deflect like a big fat liar. <eyeroll>

preactor, dougstrum and TedS123 like this.
  3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure those on the Sunday morning pulpit would like to know if
    their preparation got through to people who listened to them attentively.

I think the same goes for worship music. If someone comes up to you and says they
    were moved, or they enjoyed your style or maybe another musician who comments
    on your mechanics........... that can be a mighty good thing.

Accept and receive their compliments, you have been gifted.
    Gifted with being able to perform the task at hand and because
    you have been designated to be there in your on stage position.

preactor, dougstrum and mRtINY like this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

We should definitely encourage one another; though sometimes it is awkward giving or receiving compliments:rolleyes:

Our pastor once told me he doesn't want to hear "that was a good sermon". He likes to hear something like" that sermon really made me realize how much I need a saviour".

preactor, studio, JuneauMike and 2 others like this.
  5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

To edify means to build up. I have a friend who says it this way, "I'm just putting some air in your tires". It actually takes some thought, and sensitivity, to say something specific that is designed to build another up. This thread has been a reminder that, even though I try, I'm not as intentional in edification as I should be and want to be. I know it feels great when others take enough of an interest to figure out what puts air in my tires, so I try to do that for others. IMO, there may be nothing more important for building a person up in the right way than hearing that your offering helped someone else get closer to God. It's like being told you succeeded in the Ultimate purpose, which is infinitely bigger than us.

KyAnne, studio, beatnik and 3 others like this.
  6. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

I always say: "I guess we fooled them again"

studio and JuneauMike like this.
  7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I often say that. And when I've played terrible, any compliment gets met with a blank stare.

studio and dougstrum like this.
  8. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Ha ha ha ha!
    That's my take but don't tend to say it out loud:D

studio and mRtINY like this.
  9. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Receiving a complement and giving a compliment both require grace.
    Two sides of the same coin.
    Learn how to give them, learn how to take them.

KyAnne, Deeve, studio and 2 others like this.
  10. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Am I reading these posts right? You're complaining when someone thanks you because they didn't put any more thought into coming up with words you deem worthy enough to praise your efforts?

studio likes this.
  11. studio

Yes. Which is worse, a temporal outburst of mediocrity from your WL or halfhearted playing?

So, the guy who never bothered to open his songbook for the week and
    didn't show for rehearsal, gets the very same congrats as the hard working student.
    Everyone gets a trophy.

12. studio

I guess we have to consider the source of the thanks.

We can say, worship leaders don't have to give out thanks to anyone at all.

Church shouldn't become a stale environment. Clinical.

mRtINY likes this.
  13. beatnik

beatnik TDPRI Member

No.

First, the post was a bit sarcastic.

And second, it was more of why say something fairly meaningless when you could actually say something that has an impact.

The church where I used to serve, the thanks for playing became the have a nice day. But other places I have been, the leadership would recognize service no matter where it occurred and encouraged those who served in a way that was edifying.

So from a former WL; in sum yes, the thanks for playing is not a worthy thanks. A wow, the transition you played from name of song 1 to name of song 2 was fantastic or you really brought it when we hit the crescendo in the bridge, that really helped with the flow, is a worthy thanks. It is personal, specific, and sincere.

Thanks for playing is impersonal, vague and a throw away line.

KyAnne likes this.
  14. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather get applauded for how I dressed and my Shiny BOOTS!

SBClose likes this.
  15. beatnik

beatnik TDPRI Member

Insert applause emojis that don’t work on this platform.

mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
  16. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

We got applause this morning. A family brings their mom from nursing home occasionally;
    she has dementia and is wheel chair bound. She loves the music and always claps when we
    finish a song. It seems to make some folks uncomfortable, but not many and i think it's great
    that the bring her.

I missed church last week, and had a friend say this morning "we sure missed your wrang wrang
    wrang last week" guess that was a compliment:lol:

preactor, beatnik and CapnCrunch like this.
  17. studio

Wrang wrang wrang?
    Hey, yer stealin' my chords!

dougstrum likes this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Nah, my chords are always real purdy:twisted:

Think it's those bendy double stops on the back pickup that really bring the wrango_O

studio likes this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Before we moved, we attended a small church plant that we helped to start and grow. It was musically interesting because (by design) we never did any CCM that you'd hear on the radio. Our style was a bit like a cross between Black Crows/Johnny Cash/ACDC. There were a couple of elderly ladies in their 80's in the congregation, and every weekend they would stand and clap after songs. They would come up after the service, and I mean faithfully every Sunday, and tell us how much they loved the music and say "thank you so much for playing such great music and with such passion."

They changed my mind and heart about clapping and cheering in Worship. They were like little girls. The Worship brought them joy that you could see and feel, and they couldn't help but say thank you. That was my first realization that what we do as musicians can have a genuine, POWERFUL, impact on the spirits and hearts of people who are there to actually worship. Those two old Saints weren't praising our skills, they were saying thank you for being faithful, and making worship music that allows us to enter into God's presence, though I suspect they could have got there with any music played for them. Ever since then, I cherish compliments like that, because I know they are about my part in a much bigger picture, and not just about me. I frequently now say "thank you for bringing a willing heart" or "thank you for coming ready to Worship" because they too are part of a much bigger picture.

KyAnne, studio, black_doug and 5 others like this.
  20. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

That's what it's all about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.