1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whose counting stitches?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

When I was only in my single digits of age, I fell on some rubble that had Slate on it. Sharp as a razor. Nearly took my whole thumb off on my left hand. It was hanging off. I held on to it and screamed and got taken to hospital where I had to have 6 people hold me down to get it stitched up. The pain I still remember. I had to wait about 8 hours and they could not give anesthetic.

I can still see the scar today. It covers just about all of my hand where my thumb nearly came off. That doctor did a good thing that day. I ended up being able to play guitar. And to a pretty high level as well. No small feat. Number of stitches? Maybe also in the single digits.

I may have had a few operations or a few other stitches here or there in my life, but nothing to write home about. I mean, some of them probably saved my life, but I don't stress over them.

The only other time I remember getting stitches was when I had someone smash a beer glass in my face and it kind of took my eye out. So I had to have my eyeball stitched up. That's a funny experience. It tickles! I was blinded of course. But with the power of prayer and sheer determination I could see again six months later. There are no atheists in foxholes.

Yeah, they really can stitch up an eyeball to put it all back together. But you kind of need to know what you are doing. I just happened to luck out and have one of the top eye surgeons in the world be close to me when it happened. It was also why I never did Heroin or opiates in later life, because whatever it was they gave me that night, I have never felt to out of this world good as I did right then with my face all smashed up and my eyeball all broken to smithereens. No one should ever feel that good in those circumstances.

All is well that ends well. I got to keep my sight, my eyeball and my devilish good looks! It didn't stop me from getting some super-model level girlfriends later in life, even if it did alter my appearance somewhat. Some of us have earned the right to brag.

But it humbles you more than anything. Other people go through far worse than that. It makes you put other people first. It makes you able to laugh at yourself and all your silly little faults (that we all have). Some people take themselves so seriously.

Both of those experiences where I got stitches were close calls.

I guess I'm just lucky!

Wulf likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

very lucky mate...its weird how we rememeber things so traumatic from when we were kids too
    wheather that affects us as we grow..i dont know
    but i do know its ok to laugh at yourself...i do it all the bloody time
    the one that ended up bothering me was the twit that thought if was a good idea to attack me with a flick knife...and stuck it in my arm...only cos i tried to protect my face....it didnt hurt at time....i made sure he was in no state to try it again...hence shattered hand...couldnt play guitar for ages
    cant remember that much bout that bit...i went off like a beserker on him..maybe i winked at his bird when i was on stage or something
    nearly choked on a steak butty...too big a bite...got stuck and i couldnt breathe...and i live alone...tried forcing it down by wrappin me gob round cold tap...no good...3 whacks in my belly and up it came...everything going sparkle black...deep breaths...air does taste sweet....thought nowt of it and sat down and finished sandwich...it was later when i felt a bit shaken...you can guess what names i called myself that day....close call...no ticket to valhalla for wulf choking to death....
    obviously no slice and dice fun...but...scary stuff
    last good slice and damage i got was training with axe sword and shielf with my mate erik...hes a big lad...and we use sharp weapons....ended up with a nice deep gash on forearm and broken ribs from shield boss...that hurt a bit...superglued the arm...it was fine...was working underground at local mine at time as contractor for lifting gear exams....pulled open an air door and down i went...was told i shouldnt be down there with 2 broken ribs....i said thats why i was trying to keep it quiet...but the sparring is good for fitness...keeps you alert..and keeps your reactions quick and its fun..dangerous..but fun
    you know you are alive..and if you can handle erik attacking you with an axe you have very little to fear from anyone that doesnt have a weapon...missing doing that due to current shenanigans...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 12:12 AM
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

She doesn’t really remember the incident except she was kick boxing with the bag and ended up on the floor with a messed up back, a flight to Florida, and back surgery
    She’s back at home and going through rehab with a long road ahead.

4. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Can’t even count how many. +100 for sure.

The best memory was when I was about 7-8 yo, my mother hit me accidentally with a baseball bat straight into my forehead. I think she screamed more than me. Couldn’t see a thing because my face was covered with blood. She didn’t enjoy taking me to the doctor and telling what happened.

Toto'sDad and Wulf like this.
  5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Bet its cheered you right up hasnt it

t-ray likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

No stitches on this deal, but when I was about thirteen years old. For some reason I put my hand through the front door of a four door sedan and wrapped my fingers around the door post. The back door was open, and I was talking to a kid sitting in the back seat. For some reason, he reached over and shut the back door of the car. This pinned my fingers between the door post and the door facing. At this point, why I don't know, there was only a mild bit of pain. I calmly asked Jaime to open the door, he asked why? I said because you shut the door on my hand. He got all exited and got the door back open.

When the pressure was relived two of my fingers started jetting blood out from under the fingernails and I experienced a mind blowing pain in my hand. Fortunately, it didn't break anything, just squeezed my fingers really hard. When the nails grew back, they curved right down over my finger tips. (if I keep them short they look normal) Since this was my left hand, it has precluded me from using my nails to finger pick. I have always used a set of brass finger picks when I played an acoustic when finger picking, and while it works well on acoustic guitar and five string banjo, I could never make it work on an electric guitar. I found some hope when I saw James Burton playing with a single finger pick, but unfortunately he seems to be much better at making that work than I am.

Wulf likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Just a wild guess on my part, but I'll bet she got your attention!

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  8. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Yep, right after I came back from being unconscious for a while.

She was teaching me to hit the ball (Finnish baseball, pesäpallo). I tought she’ll hit in one direction, I was positioned 90 degrees wrong and hit me with all her strenght.

I guess that blow killed some brain cells :confused:

9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ooo...yeeeoowwch...my gran did that to my arm when i was a kid....it was hot day...i reached in to pop jacket on back seat....BAM...she didnt see what i was doing...the pain the pain..i was 11 or 12 at the time...but ohhh..it didnt half hurt...left upper arm...its a wonder it didnt break it...you had to give the doors on that old car a bit of welly to get them to shut...door bounced open after ...i just sank like a brick...straight to the deck.
    every time i saw a hillman hunter after that i growled at it...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Now i carry Zip skin closure in first aid kits. Looks good but have not used it yet.
    Kind of zip tie for cuts. Might work in a pinch for lesser wounds.
    Something else I forgot the stitches' in my face no Novocain or anything they said because head wound.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Wulf likes this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

superglue...elec tape and an old shoelace....and a couple of clothes pegs
    oh and a zip off an old boiler suit...if i get disembowelled...stuff em in ...zip up and keep fighting

carpenter likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

A mechanic in the shop at a trucking company I worked for climbed up in a tree at his house to take it down from the top. Somehow as he was whacking away up there and sitting on a limb, he dropped the chainsaw in his lap. If he'd dropped it just a little further up, he'd have had to switch teams on the company softball league! He was off work for at least a month. I think he hired someone to finish the work on the tree, not him.

Obsessed and Wulf like this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

if you see the lady in your dreams thread...we used to fence...rapiers and bucklers...my nose is still bent from her bashing me on it with a buckler...claret everywhere broken nose and well split lips...i could do nothing but congratulate her on her skills

puddin likes this.
  14. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I had surgery to remove a huge benign tumor attached to my ribcage in 2010. They removed two ribs that had been engulfed by the tumor and one above and one below to be sure they got it all. The doctor cut a three lobed flap in my back on the left side to get at it. Then a plastic surgeon disconnected the latissimus muscle there because it was in the way too. He reattached it when the main surgeon was done. Dunno how many stitches there were, but it was a lot. I know the horizontal cut goes all the way across my back horizontally. I also have three or four circular scars where they cut holes to insert tubes for pain medication and drainage.

Wulf likes this.
  15. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Tis... but a scratch. :lol:

Wulf likes this.
  16. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I've got so many stitches I feel like a thousand used and abused NFL footballs.

Doctorx33 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.