1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whose counting stitches?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

owwwch.
    health and safety came to our old place...why havent you got a guard on that? (350 ton hydraulic wire rope splicing press...talurit machine) showed and explained that you wouldnt be able to get the rope in..or out...then they came out with.."what if someone gets their hand in it?"...gave a quick demo of how slow they are...and that you would need to be either asleep or forceably restrained for the thing to bite you....but if you did....ooo...burglars of the world beware...or strap them to a stress tension test bed...like the rack but hydraulic...i used to operate one of the biggest in europe...2000t...take more than a needle and thread and a bandage i would think

P-Nutz likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Its worse than that...hes dead Jim
    before he died bones...how did you try to treat him?
    wire brush bottle of dettol and a bucket of leeches...but it didnt help...so as a last resort i tried injections of pea soup
    well...didnt that help bones?...no Jim...he fell and broke his neck going to the galley to get some bread to go with the pea soup

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    carpenter, LeftFinger and puddin like this.
  3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One of the few (only) non-OSHA-compliant in the place, although the shear operators were known to move the guards out to speed up piece work ... Just the opposite of the rope-splicing press, 250 tons came down FAST, then slowed for the flatten. Fortunately, there was a piece of 1/4" plate in there, or fretting over the last 41 years woulda been mighty difficult ...

Wulf likes this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I was fighting wildland fires I saw the aftermath of a chainsaw get wrapped around a guy's leg. The aftermath included medevac. It was ugly. I have an obsessive respect for saws; I have a ton of fun running them and am pretty handy, but they are scary as hell. I don't own a saw, but I have saw chaps and I gladly loan them out to all my buddies who think they need to trim their trees.

Rustbucket likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Too many to count.
    I’ve had many vehicular and work-related mis-adventures.
    I have zippers in my back, belly, right knee, skull and lip.
    I got all kinds of scars.
    If I was a car, I’d be a write-off.
    I still run good, though.
    Got that goin’ for me, anyways!

6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

a bit like the old steam hammer...william murdock has a fair bit to answer for

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i hand spliced the wire rope hawsers they used for towing the bits to build the thames flood barrier...52mm dia 6 strand wire rope core 6/41 construction wire rope...got a right whack off one of the strands...knocked me clean across workshop
    Ever seen a Wulf fly?

P-Nutz likes this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I've only had about 15 stitches
    real men use crazy glue and duct tape :twisted::lol:

Wulf likes this.
  9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was under 10 total stitches till I was 24, got a new MX bike and decided to enter a motocross race four days after getting the bike, despite being fully unprepared. Made a mistake and stalled my bike down the landing of a jump and got clipped by a more competent racer on my right side while trying to restart my bike.

The impact pushed my right leg into the foot peg from the side (through the boot) and the peg exited out the back. Didn't even knock me over, but my leg started throbbing so I got my bike started and rode off the track. Got into the pits and almost passed out getting off the bike, which was when i realized i had a grapefruit-sized hole in the back of my calf.

Long story short and two E.R.'s later, the doc who sewed me shut lost count of stitches somewhere just south of 300. The wound was so deep that they could visually check for damage to the bone and tendons, which was minimal, thank goodness.

The bottom half of my right calf was completely numb for five years.

I never raced again but I rode moto and desert several times a week for the next five years and had no other notable injuries.

I've had a few other stitchable cuts since, but nothing crazy. I also prefer to remove my own stitches when I can.

Side note: a good friend and [former, neither of us own bikes now] riding buddy goes by the name "Stitch". Stitch is a retired marine and one of the O.G. freeride/freestyle MX riders and used to carry a suture kit when he rode. Whenever he got a nasty cut, he would stitch himself closed and keep riding.

Wulf likes this.
  10. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

I have Had many but this was a funny one. I was maybe 7 and was getting a bottle of tomato juice out of the fridge and my grandmother was standing right next to me. I grab the bottle and it slips and hits my foot. I yell and she looks down and see the bottle broke and tomato juice running all over the floor and thinks its blood. She damn near has a heart attack and all I ended up with was a sore foot.

Wulf likes this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i use superglue and elec tape on a reg basis
    split head open badly at work..off to hospital looking like i had a middle eye...they were going to stitch....i refused to let them..was about to leave and glue myself when a nurse suggested it....she glued me together and managed to stick her finger to my head...dozy bint.
    i asked if i could take her home with me...doctor wouldnt let me...nurse blinked and blushed
    if i went to hospital everytime i sliced or gouged myself i would have to pitch a tent on their carparks grass

electrichead and LeftFinger like this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

nasty...lots of M/X and trials tracks where i grew up...saw a lad get impaled by a Bultaco Sherpa 250 clutch lever...it was a mess...right in the leg...bet that stung a bit

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

5" worth of stitches on my cheek (age 4), a dozen stitches in my chin (age 5), 6 in my thumb (age 18), 22 along one eyebrow (age 19).

Regarding chainsaws: Mucho respect is required. I have four and use them throughout the year for the last 23 years. My neighbors call me, "Mr. OSHA" with my gloves, safety glasses, helmet, face guard and hearing protection, but I am the only one amongst my neighbors with all of my digits, hearing, eyesight ... and no stitches in my legs or arms.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

156 stitches:

Circumcision.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

got half a dozen stitches in my left hand atm, had a small skin lump removed...

never had any stitches as a kid or broken bones... still haven't had any broken bones as an adult... just stitches from surgeries/repairs....

16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Closest I’ve ever come to stitches was a Snoopy Band-Aid on my forehead from the emergency room when I was about six. Flipped my bike over going down a hill and just missed my eye with a stick.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I had stitches in my forehead when I was four years old, but I dunno how many. The scar's still there. That's the last time anyone took a sewing needle to me.

Wulf likes this.
  18. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

so....you're all snitches, eh? Good to know.

gregulator450 and Wulf like this.
  19. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Wife gave me a box of band aids for xmas last year . They ranged from fxxx , fxxx fxxx and holy fxxx. I use them sparingly:lol::lol:

Obsessed and Wulf like this.
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thats why i had them glue mine...didnt want a frankenstein monster scar...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.