Who's Your Favorite Jazz Guitarist?

Pcs264

Tele-Meister

Lots of great names here, but I think it's a shame that we're on page 4 of this thread and no one has mentioned the brilliant and underappreciated Ed Bickert. Check out his playing here with Paul Desmond...

Ed grew up in rural western Canada and taught himself how to play jazz by copping big band arrangements & solos off the RADIO! He was a homebody, toured very little, and big names had to come to Toronto to work with him. Look for his playing with Desmond, Rosemary Clooney and the Ed Bickert Trio.

And oh yeah, he played a Telecaster...

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
For goodness sake- answer the question, or get off the pot!
I was merely pointing out the difficulty of coming up with an answer that didn't belong in the pot. I haven't actually seen a lot of direct replies to the question; can you come up with one without any buts or wherefores?. I do not, by the way, have any objection to preposterous questions; they can, as you say, be fun.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
Really hard if not impossible to pick just one. Top three are Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and John Collins, who I was lucky enough to get to know when I was a teenager in Los Angeles. A good friend of mine was taking bluegrass lessons and his teacher introduced us to John.

We were both big into jazz and we went to see John play whenever we could. He’d sit with us and tell us all kinds of stories, talk about guitar, it was great. In fact he introduced me to the two aforementioned guitarists (as well as a bunch of other jazz greats), which was amazing for me, being 17 or 18 to meet two of my heroes. I met Pass when the three of us (me, John and my friend) went to see him play at a club—I think it was Vine St. Bar & Grille. Much to our surprise/chagrin, Joe played to an almost empty club. There may have been one other table there.

It was an amazing night to hear him in such an intimate setting and talk to him, but so sad that this legendary player was playing to an almost empty house. I’ll say this - he didn’t seem to mind. He smiled and grooved and seemed to be enjoying every note.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Lots of great names here, but I think it's a shame that we're on page 4 of this thread and no one has mentioned the brilliant and underappreciated Ed Bickert. Check out his playing here with Paul Desmond...

Ed grew up in rural western Canada and taught himself how to play jazz by copping big band arrangements & solos off the RADIO! He was a homebody, toured very little, and big names had to come to Toronto to work with him. Look for his playing with Desmond, Rosemary Clooney and the Ed Bickert Trio.

Ed was the first jazz guitarist I heard live in a Toronto club.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's

One of the most sensitive, if not THE most sensitive accompanist in Jazz.

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Johnnie Smith deserves a mention

Johnnie Smith!
Great player.
There are so many... but the one that consistently speaks to me is Wes, for sure. I love Benson - his time and chops are amazing - and many others, but Wes has always been the one who, for me, best transcended the instrument and just made music.
But then, in a more recent years, I love a lot of Metheny's stuff, too. And Frisell, he's great...

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
George Barnes is another fav!

george-barnes.jpg

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Tough question, because there are so many solid guys. For older jazz, I would go with Grant Green and Wes Montgomery.

For more modern jazz, John McLaughlin and George Benson.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Wow. This is tough. First of all, for a jazz aficionado, there's so much I still haven't heard. Of guys still currently alive, I really like Tim Lerch and Jim Campilongo, mainly because I like their (admittedly very different) styles and the fact that they play teles. For older guys, I really like Ted Greene a lot...you can hear a lot of his influence in Tim Lerch's playing. I do like guys like Bucky Pizzerelli, Jim Hall, Johnny Smith and Ed Bickert quite a bit. Hank Garland is a fave for sure. So hard to choose. And so much I still haven't been exposed to. Really like threads like this for turning on to new (and old) stuff.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Not into Jazz so much. But, if I could pic one? Joe Pass. My friend took lessons from him. I know cause when I picked him up, Joe walked out with him to my car. Somewhere in the valley.

effzee

Tele-Holic
It
Not off the top of my head, but GG recorded a ton, including with Johnny “Rabbit” Hodges. Was it sung as part of a lyric or a shouted line overheard by an instrument mic?
It was an instrumental song but somewhere around the middle a low-key, soft female chorus sings a couple lines, and the last line is "and up jumped the rabbit".

This is how I remember it, lol. It might have been completely different, but definitely with that line.

dazzaman

Tele-Afflicted
Of the living players my favourite is Martin Taylor, when he is playing solo. Of the older players I find myself listening mostly to Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass.

I could never have a single favourite out of those three.