Who's Your Favorite Jazz Guitarist?

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Per my little avatar-thingee, Grant Green.
Nice 👍🏼

I had a mixed-artist CD that included a song from Grant Green and the only thing I can remember about it was that I loved it and there was vocal line that went "up jumped the rabbit" but I don't think it was a cover of the old gutbucket tune. Ring any bells?

Last edited:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
71vab9E8KcL._SL1200_.jpg

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
This seems to be preposterous question day. Do I like John Scofield better than Wes Montgomery? Do I actually enjoy listening to anyone more than Charlie Christian? Anyone more adventurous than Mary Halvorson, or solider than Emily Remler? Can anyone come close to what Martin Taylor can do by himself? Is there a better accompanist than Tuck Andress? So many styles- Joscho Stephan has got to be the top of the "gypsy" school.

But it's not a competitive ranking debate. It's just a discussion about personal favorites.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Maybe Montgomery or DiMeola. I like a lot of band jazz that doesn’t feature guitars such as Blakey/Messengers. But for more current and honest answer to OP I like Jeff Parker. He’s done some nice work with McCraven, the best drummer in the universe.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Favourite has to be Wes Montgomery, though of those I have seen perform live, Martin Taylor pips Barney Kessel and George Benson.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
But it's not a competitive ranking debate. It's just a discussion about personal favorites.
So I discussed some of my personal favorites. Although that's not what it asked, it asked for a single absolute. I just don't see what your point is.

A few that I was glad to see in others' posts; Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, Howard Roberts- Mundel Lowe or Johnny Smith, anyone?

Last edited:

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
This seems to be preposterous question day. Do I like John Scofield better than Wes Montgomery? Do I actually enjoy listening to anyone more than Charlie Christian? Anyone more adventurous than Mary Halvorson, or solider than Emily Remler? Can anyone come close to what Martin Taylor can do by himself? Is there a better accompanist than Tuck Andress? So many styles- Joscho Stephan has got to be the top of the "gypsy" school.
For goodness sake- answer the question, or get off the pot!

Jazzman1955

TDPRI Member
Older stuff, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Wes, Joe Pass
More recent, Jim Hall, Emily Remler, Pat Martino
Newer, Bill Frisell, Pat Methaney, Fareed Haque
Pat Martino’s The Visit would be my desert island jazz record, In my vinyl collection since its’ 1972 release. And his rendition of Road Song from that album would be on my “infinite play loop”.

1656282720201.jpeg

Last edited:

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
Nice 👍🏼

I had a mixed-artist CD that included a song from Grant Green and the only thing I can remember about it was that I loved it and there was vocal line that went "up jumped the rabbit" but I don't think it was a cover of the old gutbucket tune. Ring any bells?
Not off the top of my head, but GG recorded a ton, including with Johnny “Rabbit” Hodges. Was it sung as part of a lyric or a shouted line overheard by an instrument mic?

markal

Tele-Afflicted
The jazz guitarist I listen to the most is Kenny Burrell. But I don’t listen to a lot of jazz, and most the jazz I do listen to is not primarily guitar (e.g., Monk, Coltrane etc).

Jazzman1955

TDPRI Member
Howard Roberts was fantastic. I attended his day long seminar with about 10 other attendees at the Chicago old town school of music folk music around 1976.

Right next door was a record shop. So for the princely sum of $1.50, I bought this record, got it autographed by HR.

4C6F0466-9DA3-4BB9-88D0-1B621E9AC39A.jpeg
I still have the comprehensive notes and his handouts from the seminar. And I must say I still don’t understand most of them. His depth of music theory equaled his awesome chops.