Who's Your Favorite Jazz Guitarist?

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
django2.jpg

tumblr_psy203i6DY1so28u7o2_1280.jpg

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
This seems to be preposterous question day. Do I like John Scofield better than Wes Montgomery? Do I actually enjoy listening to anyone more than Charlie Christian? Anyone more adventurous than Mary Halvorson, or solider than Emily Remler? Can anyone come close to what Martin Taylor can do by himself? Is there a better accompanist than Tuck Andress? So many styles- Joscho Stephan has got to be the top of the "gypsy" school.

kuch

Tele-Holic
This seems to be preposterous question day.

OU, the OP asked who is "YOUR" favorite jazz guitarist. He's asking for opinions, and as we all know, it's like other things that everyone has.....

My favs are Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, George Benson, and a few others that I can't think of right now.... I keep telling myself that short term memory loss can be a good thing. ;)

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
While I love the classic players, I tend to list to more of the newer guys. Frisell, Scofield and Lage. I especially like how they have moved jazz forward with modern guitar technologies and tone. All three can move seamlessly from "out there" kind of stuff to a timeless rendition of standard.

Last edited:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
OU, the OP asked who is "YOUR" favorite jazz guitarist. He's asking for opinions, and as we all know, it's like other things that everyone has.....

My favs are Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, George Benson, and a few others that I can't think of right now.... I keep telling myself that short term memory loss can be a good thing. ;)
Yeah, I read the post. I notice that you weren't able to name one either.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
This seems to be preposterous question day. Do I like John Scofield better than Wes Montgomery? Do I actually enjoy listening to anyone more than Charlie Christian? Anyone more adventurous than Mary Halvorson, or solider than Emily Remler? Can anyone come close to what Martin Taylor can do by himself? Is there a better accompanist than Tuck Andress? So many styles- Joscho Stephan has got to be the top of the "gypsy" school.
+1