1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who's making the best acoustic guitars these days?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Cali Dude, Mar 24, 2021.

1. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I bought a D-18 about three years ago. I already head a J-200, Eastman EA-40 and a Taylor. The clarity, balance and definition of the D-18's mahogany sides and back is beautiful. I play the D-18 ten times more than my other acoustics combined.

Lockback and Cali Dude like this.
  2. Rick Schmidlin

Rick Schmidlin TDPRI Member

Collings, Cruz, Bourgeois, Walker, Ryan, Kopp, Franklin, Wingate,there are a lot out there.

RowdyHoo and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Cool, thanks for the feedback. A D-18 is a fine guitar.

RowdyHoo likes this.
  4. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Tele-Meister

Best is very subjective because it means something different to everybody. Example, 2001ish, I was in the market for a new acoustic. Had about 1000 to spend. I wandered into a music store in Belfast and started chatting with the owner. He asked about what I wanted, musical tastes, playing style etc etc. He pointed me towards the wall and said, play everything and then I will show you the guitar you will buy. I thought this very presumptuous but I started playing many different Yamahas, fenders, etc etc. Some were great but they just didn't have IT. He wandered across with a very plain looking acoustic and said "OK, now try this one ". Very skeptically I took it and started to play. Daaaamn! He laughed and said "I KNOW!" It was a Seagull. It sounded right and played right. I bought it and left with money in my pocket. I still have it. Since then I have moved to Quebec where the Seagulls are made. I now have many guitars in my collection but I still play that Seagull the most. For me it was the best. Best sounding. Best playing. My advise is play everything and you will find your best.

5. rocnrik

rocnrik TDPRI Member

I’ve owned a lot of guitars ... I also do guitar repair , I’m not very impressed with the low end Taylor, Martin guitars ..However I do like there flagship models .. if you have a budget then look At Yamaha, tangle wood, Epiphone, seagull, Eastman etc.. once you get near the 2 grand price point it’s a matter of personal choice ( they all are very nice) .. I own a Yamaha because it sounds great plugged in .. I like the neck profile .. it is solid built .. very affordable!

6. gigmaster

gigmaster TDPRI Member

Yamaha APX series. Great electronic, great acoustic sound, outstanding playability, bombproof, and reasonably-priced.

Lockback and Cali Dude like this.
  7. biblebound

biblebound TDPRI Member

Martin...

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. rjmachin

rjmachin TDPRI Member

I really like Gibsons and Martins, but last year took the plunge and dropped some fairly serious dough on an Atkin J43. Looks, sounds and plays very much like a '50s J45. Have barely picked up any other guitars since. https://atkinguitars.com/guitar/the-forty-three/

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

Love martins. I just can’t get over Taylor’s 3 piece neck at ultra premium prices. For the kind of money they fetch, they should have a 1 piece neck. Imho

Jakedog and Cali Dude like this.
  10. Manothemtns

Manothemtns Tele-Meister

There's a lot of Taylor fans on this forum but don't let them lead you astray. Furch is hands down the best guitar builder and best value on the market today. Bet you've never heard of the company. Just go to their website to see for yourself. Now, you may have some difficulty finding a bunch to play. They're made in the belly of the stringed instrument capital of the world in Czechoslovakia, just a stone's throw from where Martin was born in Germany, 150 years ago. They have a luthiery of highly skilled but less expensive labor at their disposal so you definitely get a better guitar for the money than US builders can produce. There are a maybe a half-dozen US dealers but if you're not afraid to buy online, you'll find what you're looking for. You'd have to look at high-end Martin's Collings, and Bourgeois (all $6K plus) to find many comparables. I don't consider Taylor to be in the same lofty company. Someone mentioned "Pre-war" guitars and they're OK if you're looking for relic-ing which I think is silly, but whatever floats your boat.

younkint and Cali Dude like this.
  11. dbrnhm

dbrnhm TDPRI Member

I have a Martin 00028. Gibson J45 Breedlove cedar top Taylor 414se. I enjoy my martin the most but keep the Breedlove next to my bed
    BUT you need to just play a LOT of guitars and take your time and you will find it. And big box stores aren’t always the best place to find them. Small boutique shops are definitely worth visiting. Congratulations in advance.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

I am also hunting for a non rosewood acoustic...but just looking for the most playable. Taylors are known for playabilty but i played an Ibanez acoustic and it was better than many of my electrics! Ibanez higher end models are not distributed in US for some reason however. But they do make an EXTREMELY playable high performance neck if you can find one. As for sound...if i cant play it, i cant hear it..lol.

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. Nishplayer

Nishplayer TDPRI Member

I love my Larrivee L04

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. castermike

castermike TDPRI Member

I've had a number of Epiphones over the years including a 1970s FT150 made in Japan. I currently have an Epi Hummingbird Pro which I love. In answer to the question posed, I really don't know as I'm constrained by budget but if money no object then maybe Guild.

15. MarkSieber

MarkSieber TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

A couple of years ago I was looking for a “budget” acoustic, and played quite a few. I didn’t need electronics, wanted something to grab to play with band mates for fun or working out songs.

I ended up getting a Taylor Academy 10 'student' guitar. It is a 5/6 Dreadnought body with balanced tone, not as bright as their fingerpicking guitars, not bassy either, a good balance for me since I play fills and a little lead while the other guitarist plays rhythm.

Compared with other brands it has more presence. Again, this is an inexpensive ($550 is still not cheap for something that isn’t part of my gigging gear) bit I like it.

I have a Yamaha fg140 I got in 1971, and pummeled though the next couple of decades. When I began playing again a few years ago I found the neck was so flat compared to electrics that it was uncomfortable to play. Now that I have regained strength in my left hand I can play it, and it has that bassier dreadought voice, though the Academy is faster and more balanced when working on material I will transfer to my Tele or PRS Mira s2.

16. squelcherood

squelcherood NEW MEMBER!

Not sure why Taylor would be better than Martin since Martin and Gibson folks play what they play beacuse of the tone. Taylor is very modern sounding, as is Breedlove. ..Gibson thumpy and woody, Martin more piano like sustain and traditional. Depends on what you like. I have all three. If you just want an awesome guitar regardless of resale value or status symbol, try Eastman. The higher end D-18 or J-45 like versions are almost better than the originals at about a third of the cost. Think about smaller body 000, 00, 0M, LG, Concertina, etc. guitars if you have a dread already. My Gibson L-00 and LG-2 are now my go to's. Had a Breedlove USA Oregon Concert that sounded amazing...but very glassy and modern. Listed to youtube demos and have fun

younkint likes this.
  17. nashvillebill

nashvillebill TDPRI Member

I agree with everything you said here. I have two Martins I love- an OM-28v and a D18, so I don't need another acoustic, but every time I go to Gruhn's and pick up a Collings it blows me away. With two great guitars I don't need one, but I sure would like to have one.

younkint, El Tele Lobo and matrix like this.
  18. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I have tried a bunch of Martins over 40+ years, because I've loved the sound they make when others play them, but never found one that called out to me. I've tried a bunch but have ended up owning mostly Gibson and Guild Guitars. BTW - check out the Guilds. They are making some really good guitars.

younkint and hnryclay like this.
  19. nashvillebill

nashvillebill TDPRI Member

Awesome guitars- but pricey... I saw two new ones at Gruhn's last week- $10k and $14k. I bought a used one for my son back around 2001 or 2002 for $1200 and it's still one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard.

Norris Vulcan and Jakedog like this.
  20. nobikiniatoll

nobikiniatoll NEW MEMBER!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.