Who's lipstick do I have?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bluedaffy, May 19, 2016.

1. bluedaffy

bluedaffy TDPRI Member

Hello TDPRI universe,

My father and I made an ash telecaster together back in 2005. I've never been totally happy with the job I did finishing it - I think I rushed it because I was getting so excited that it was almost done (I was 17 at the time). In the time that has passed since then I have become more interested in the different gear that goes into making guitars sound unique. So now that I have the guitar disassembled to refinish the body, I'm coming to the forum today to try and figure out what kind of neck pickup I installed back in 2005.

At the time I remember I had enough money to buy a vintage noiseless bridge pickup, and that's easy to verify due to the "noiseless" printed on it. But the neck pickup was bought for me separately by my parents for my birthday. It's a typical lipstick tube design, which makes it impossible for to differentiate from others online. The wires are white and black and look like they have a cloth coating and also maybe coated with wax or something similar.

I should also note that I'm about 40% confident that it was an American Standard Telecaster neck pickup from my dated recollection of opening the box, but again, I am nowhere near confident in this conclusion. No writing on the lipstick tube or the base of the pickup.

Is there anyway or any clues out there that can help me narrow down what model pickup it might be? Thanks!

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, welcome to the forum. If you can post a clear picture of the back of the pickup chances are somebody will recognize it.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

4. bluedaffy

bluedaffy TDPRI Member

Interesting link - I guess calling a telecaster neck pickup a "lipstick" is a bit of a misnomer.

Here are the photos:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's not a lipstick pickup, but a standard Tele neck pickup. Hards to say what brand.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cloth wire... how many Fender pu's from that era used it?...

most stock F pu's use plastic coated wire .....

7. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

How tall is it? It might be a twisted?

8. bluedaffy

bluedaffy TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies, it's 15mm in height

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

It seems to have a Fender cover on it (no other brands that I know of use that particular cover) so pretty sure it's a Fender pickup. Maybe check what was available back then and then do some measurements

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.