'Who's Gonna Buy Your Chickens When I'm Gone"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Feb 22, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One of the songs I've been pounding away relentlessly on in my effort to perfect(?) my delivery of it is Bob Dylan's 1962 rendition of 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'. During my casual research of the song's roots, I found that it was a 'borrowed' melody from earlier music penned by someone else, and that it had a rather amusing title.

"The melody is based on the public domain traditional song "Who's Gonna Buy Your Chickens When I'm Gone",[2][3] which was taught to Dylan by folksinger Paul Clayton, who had used it in his song "Who's Gonna Buy You Ribbons When I'm Gone?"

As well as the melody, a couple of lines were taken from Clayton's "Who's Gonna Buy You Ribbons When I'm Gone?", which was recorded in 1960, two years before Dylan wrote "Don't Think Twice". Lines taken word-for-word or slightly altered from the Clayton song are, "T'ain't no use to sit and wonder why, darlin'," and, "So I'm walkin' down that long, lonesome road." On the first release of the song, instead of "So I'm walkin' down that long, lonesome road babe, where I'm bound, I can't tell" Dylan sings "So long, honey babe, where I'm bound, I can't tell". The lyrics were changed when Dylan performed live versions of the song and on cover versions recorded by other artists."

Strange stuff, but knowing this sort of thing could help provide an amusing trivia introduction to the song before performing it.

boneyguy and DaphneBlue like this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Another song that I'm working on is 'Gotta Travel On', which I discovered while researching it's origins, that it was the song that Buddy Holly opened his portion of the show with at every performance during the ill-fated 'Winter Dance Party' tour of 1959, that, coincidentally, began on, January 23'd, my eighth birthday, and ended tragically only a week and a half later at about 1:00 AM on February 3'rd, the morning of my mother's 32'nd birthday.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

And when your chickens are gone, who's gonna fill their shoes?

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That is either one of the sloppiest drunken performances that I’ve seen in a long time... or it is brilliant genius.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’m more curious to know “what you gonna do when you find your biscuit roller gone”?

I’d sure miss my biscuit roller.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.