1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who's an elite level guitarist AND singer ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fullerton Mike, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

o_O :lol:

koen likes this.
  2. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm glad someone mentioned Roger McGuinn. He was a studio guy and valued sideman before forming the Byrds. According to the book about the Wrecking Crew, he was the only member that the record label allowed to play with the crew on the first Byrds recordings.

Neil Finn rates highly, and I'm still sorting out how I feel about him joining Fleetwood Mac.
    The other day, it occurred to me that Fleetwood Mac and Richard Thompson would have been a good fit. Another thread? Thompson is the first person I thought of when I looked at this thread.

EspyHop likes this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

First one that comes to mind is Glen Campbell.

I don’t know enough about his music to say for sure about his singing, but maybe John Mayer. He’s definitely elite on guitar.

4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't been through the whole thread, but if Bonnie Raitt hadn't been mentioned, she has been now.

As for some earlier posts, Mark Knopfler? Great player, but he's the guy I aspire to sing like because he can't sing either, but makes it work well enough. But he's not a great singer by any stretch. And Keef? I love they guy, and his vocal can work pretty well in the right context, but an elite level vocalist he's not. Not even close.

Gabrielle84, Cali Dude and Buell like this.
  5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Brad Paisley
    Keith Urban

Stratohacker and Cali Dude like this.
  6. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

Here's and underrated one, Rik Emmett. Yeah, the dude from Triumph.

Stratohacker likes this.
  7. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Chris Cain

8. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Elite level guitarist AND elite level singer? It may not be your cup of tea, but Micheal Sweet from Stryper. He can shred with the best of them and his voice is incredible. He hasn't lost a step from their debut album. They still do their catalog in the keys that the albums were released in. He is arguably the hardest working man in the music business. Just in the last 10 years:
    5 Stryper albums with the 6th one dropping on 09/04/20, 3 solo albums and 2 collaborative albums with George Lynch. All 10 albums are outstanding with Stryper's last 3 being the best of their career. He also toured with Boston and was asked to join the band by Tom Sholz. Him and maybe, Kotzen fit the bill perfectly, I see a lot of great guitarist who can sing here, but not sing at an elite level.

reddy2300 likes this.
  9. Demac

Demac TDPRI Member

Colin James
    Jeff Healey
    And many others

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

can he sing?

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Justin Hawkins for sure!

[​IMG]

Stratohacker likes this.
  12. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Al did the main vocal on 'I Can Tell' from the Splendido Hotel album. :cool:

The vocal sounds a lot like Toto :lol: ...... it was recorded in 1979, released in 1980 .......

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  13. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Ritchie Kotzen!!!!!

Stratohacker likes this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

:) All the time.

One of my prefered songs from him.

RoyBGood likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh oh, what does elite mean?
    Superb skills?
    Your favorite?
    Platinum seller?
    Chick magnet?

Inspires fans to argue with conviction?

Bluesbird, bromdenlong and SuprHtr like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

"Elite" in either category leaves most I see posted out IMHO. Maybe my version of 'Elite' is different than others I guess.
    Elite in guitar only.... these come to mind: Robben Ford, SRV, Marty Stuart, Vince Gill, George Benson, Django Rinehart etc.
    Elite in vocals is much harder. Means you better be nearly operatic in range to me and amazing at nuance and tone. Joni maybe. Jewel maybe.

Revision: I guess I've got that wrong. The Elite can also be just those at the top. Like the rich in society. Doesn't imply that there is anything good about them necessarily, they are just popular or rich. That's different than elite skills I guess. So yeah, anyone popular who sings in key and plays well.

17. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Robert Cray. For me, the best.

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Steve Wariner.

Buck Owens.

Lee Roy Parnell.

Earl Thomas Conley, though not known much at all for his guitar playing.

Merle himself was a formidable guitarist, and a proficient fiddle player--although his fiddling always evoked a different era of music.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny I've been listening to Dan Auerbach with curiosity, for the sake of his sort of stripping down to essentials solid vocals and guitar as The Black Keys.
    But I saw him on ACL doing Country and was pretty badly disappointed.

20. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike TDPRI Member

I don't recall Triumph being subs for anyone.....At the time, I was wondering how they got such a nice time slot in the day above all the other acts(you forgot Quiet Riot), but then I came to find out that they were one of the favorite bands of Steve Wozniak.....The guy that put on the show. There was a long, long wait between the Scorpions and Van Halen......People were were starting to get angry and impatient. I would guess that it was a 2 hour wait. VH finally came on. It was the first time I had seen them; The stage and their sound was so big and majestic, but you're correct....There. was a drunken sloppiness element to their sound (probably other substances as well), although Alex played great, and EVH is EVH. I didn't see their full set-My friend was the one who drove and he wanted to leave before traffic became too extreme, so we left after we had seen 3/4 of their set. Later that year, Showtime cable put out an US Festival special w/ each band getting 3 songs: A lot of stuff on YT contains elements of this special. DLR and Alex edited the Van Halen footage (Running with The Devil/Pretty Woman/You Really got Me) to make it looked like they were the most liked, best band that day....This was not the case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.